Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #1

Setting out on first trip

I will be taking the Salem 27BHSS out for the first trip tomorrow, and my route takes me to Table Rock Lake in the Ozarks. I've driven this road dozens of times before, but never with anything being towed. Any tips for hilly, windy(almost 75* turns at some points) and narrow roads?

Also anything I should make sure to check on before I head out? The only time I've towed it was from the place I bought it to the storage facility about 50 miles. This will be near 200 miles.
Woolaroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Always Learning

I've done one hilly, windy trip and it was only 2 miles or so up the mountain. It included one 75*-ish turn. The only recommendation is take your time and try to ease up to the hairpin turns so that you can see and then swing as wide as you need. Just remember how your trailer's going to track behind your vehicle.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #3

TriGuy suggested I post this info about my setup.
2006 Salem 27BHSS
2012 F-150 SCREW EcoBoost, 3.73, Tow Package.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #4

I suspect from your handle that you are in the B'ville area. We'll be there in late Sept. for a school reunion. We are new RVers, but by then we will have been to Goshen and back. Perhaps we can get together and share info and stories.
Ray and Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #5

Yes in Bartlesville and work for ConocoPhillips. I am brand new to this stuff myself, and actually wasn't able to take my trailer last week. I remembered the bridge I need to cross to go on the otherside of the lake is under construction and only 9' wide right now. My confidence isn't that high to navigate an 8' wide trailer across a 9' wide gap.

There are a couple places you can take your trailer to in the Bartlesville area. Osage State Park is really nice, Copan lake is about 10 miles outside town, and there is a trailer park near downtown as well.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #6

What campground are you going to around Table Rock Lake? State Park,Corp Of Engineer campground, or private campground?
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #7

I will probably end up parking it at my Parent's house which is lake front. We did scout out a really nice campground at Campbells Point.
Campsite Map V2 - CAMPBELL POINT, MO - Recreation.gov

We are located at the opposite side of the lake than Branson. I'm sure there are a lot more options on the Branson side of the lake.

I also hear Viola has a nice park.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #8

Yes, I've camped many times at both and all over Table Rock Lake. Not sure which direction you'll be coming in to Hwy. 39 in Missouri from Arkansas, but Campbell Point in Shell Knob has the nicest sites. Viola has nice sites, but views of the lake are blocked by the Marina docks(my profile pic is Viola campground). Check out my albums of Campbell Point pics, and I know its alittle farther, but if you are coming in from Arkansas on hwy 23 to MO. Hwy 86, you can easily get to either Mill Creek campground by Kimberling City, or the new campsites at Old Hwy 86 campground near Ridgedale. Both have many sites, both pull thru and back in on penninsula arms. Those are our top 2 campgrounds of Table Rock Lake. I know you want to stay near your folks home, but if you're tooling around the lake, check them out.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandPandra View Post
Yes, I've camped many times at both and all over Table Rock Lake. Not sure which direction you'll be coming in to Hwy. 39 in Missouri from Arkansas, but Campbell Point in Shell Knob has the nicest sites. Viola has nice sites, but views of the lake are blocked by the Marina docks(my profile pic is Viola campground). Check out my albums of Campbell Point pics, and I know its alittle farther, but if you are coming in from Arkansas on hwy 23 to MO. Hwy 86, you can easily get to either Mill Creek campground by Kimberling City, or the new campsites at Old Hwy 86 campground near Ridgedale. Both have many sites, both pull thru and back in on penninsula arms. Those are our top 2 campgrounds of Table Rock Lake. I know you want to stay near your folks home, but if you're tooling around the lake, check them out.
Do Mill Creek and 86 have full hook up? we at least like electric and water....
2017 SUNSEEKER MBS 2400W
2013 HONDA FIT SPORT
psgrandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote