Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2020, 03:45 PM   #61

Looks like a place we prefer. We can get by without water and sewer on site but need electric for ac and my cpap.
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:14 PM   #62

Western South Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoosterCA View Post
You should try to include at least Badlands (awesome!). Also Wind Cave National Park, Jewel Cave National Monument (awesome!) and try to get to Custer State Park.
Several historical towns in the area like Lead, Fish hatchery in Spearfish, Rough Creek Falls in Spearfish Canyon, do some gold panning in the creek. Check with city's see if any festivals or rallies are going on while you are there. We are in central Texas, don't know your planned route. We have gone several different ways. If you plan to go through western Kansas and Nebraska, be warned there are VERY few RV parks and most are not your nicest. Garden City, KS is large town, only one RV out of the way park and it was full when we visited in 2013, We ended up in Scout City, KS at Pinetree Oasis which was an older style park, but had full hookups, next stop over was Bayard, Nebraska which had a city park with grass field 4 electric hookups and water not fancy. level gravel pads no trees no dump nice city pool.
Red Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:40 PM   #63

RV Sites near Mt. Rushmore

We lived in Rapid City twice and went back last summer with our 26' Salem Hyper Lite. We stayed 3 days at the American Buffalo Resort and loved it. The pine trees really added a nice feel to the park. The $3.00 pancakes are great too. The campground is only 10 minutes from Rapid City and about 15 from Mt. Rushmore. The people running the campground are very friendly and helpful.

https://americanbuffaloresort.com

We also stayed in Custer State Park in the Blue Bell Campground. This was so much fun. The fact that you don't have sewer hook up is okay because the public showers and toilets were very clean and accessible. The fire of 2018 scarred the park, but it is recovering and still beautiful. Try the Chuckwagon dinner. It's sort of pricy ($60) but worth it...90 minute ride, steak dinner, Cowboy Keith will serenade you, complimentary cowboy/cowgirl hat, and LOTs of wildlife. Well worth the money.

There are two dump sites in the park (not at Blue Bell) if you need them, but we didn't because we used the public facilities. The Campsite host/hostess were great. Friendly and had lots of suggestions on what to do with the kids. You may have buffalo and wild turkeys walk through your campsite, so be aware. They are WILD animals. Also, be prepared for a campsite that is not level. Ours had lots of slope front to back, so make sure you have your trailer properly chocked and blocked (not saying that we learned this the hard way). Book early.

There are tons of things to do...game loop, hiking at Cathedral Spires, Mt. Rushmore lighting ceremony, hundreds of buffalo to see, the famous wild burros, horse back riding (in Blue Bell campground), Mammoth Digs in Hot Springs, panning for gold, Big Bear Country (must see), etc. etc. It's a great place for a family. Have a great time.
kermitvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:02 PM   #64

Send a message via AIM to sangee
We stayed at Custer gulch. Large sites and nice folks. In the center of many thing to do. We are planning to go west again and would definitely stay there. No great wifi and TV but we have satellite and our own wifi. Can't recall about cell service but we didn't care as we went into town or where cell existed. Great place. full hook-ups
sangee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:22 PM   #65

Another vote for Big Pine. Very nice campground run by the husband and wife team owners. Level F/H sites, very clean and neat. Owners take pride in their business. Big Pine is only about 4 miles outside of Custer State Park. This is important if you want to see the buffalo herds which can be elusive. So, my DW and I got up at 6AM, grabbed our coffee and went to the park. Within in minutes we were literally surrounded by hundreds of buffalo right on the main park road. Awesome experience.

Crazy Horse is no more than a 10 minute ride from Big Pine. This again is important if you want to return to CH at night for the laser light show, which is not to miss, which starts about 9:30-10 PM. After a day of sight seeing we were able to go back to our campsite, cook dinner, have a couple of cocktails, take a break and then head back to the light show. Save your tickets if you visit a prior day during the day, they will let you back into the event without paying admission again.

Mt. Rushmore and Needles highway are only 15 minutes from Big Pine, easy simple drive to and from. Also, the caves (forget the name) which is a big attraction in the area is closest to Big Pine.

My wife and I rode our bikes into Custer a couple of times, town center is less than a mile away, how convenient is that! Don't forget to hit Mt. Rushmore Brewpub right in Custer, or about a half mile from the campground. Great pub food, huge covered deck, entertainment and good beer.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:25 PM   #66

Great review. We did not stay there when we saw the sights last year but its good to hear of nice private campgrounds. We stayed at the Rapid City KOA, mostly because of location and tbey have rental cars right at the park offices. I dont tow and usually plan out my rentals. Nice review
Old 01-23-2020, 03:12 PM   #67

I appreciate every ones input and comments. It gives a lot of areas to look into and what we can expect to find. I know Mt Rushmore is on the list to see, but I really want to see the caves. We expect weather to be on the chillier side, we went to Colorado a couple years ago in early May. Had a nice snow flurry come through.
MrR2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:17 AM   #68

I have heard the "Cave" attraction is really worth it. When my DW and I visited SD a couple of years back it was just after the international story of the kids hiking that got trapped in a cave near some seashore and it flooded and trapped them and their chaperone inside for several days. The rescue was on the news every day. So, no way Jose' were we going in any type of darn caves at that time!

Of course, everyone visits SD for Mt. Rushmore. However, don't skip Custer SP and the roaming buffalo's, Needles Highway, and Crazy horse, both during the day but also must see laser show and illimunation at night!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180717_145349.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	222303   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180719_222513.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	222304   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180719_211709.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	222305   Click image for larger version

Name:	00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180717185310957_COVER.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	222306  
Old 01-24-2020, 10:22 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrR2500 View Post
I appreciate every ones input and comments. It gives a lot of areas to look into and what we can expect to find. I know Mt Rushmore is on the list to see, but I really want to see the caves. We expect weather to be on the chillier side, we went to Colorado a couple years ago in early May. Had a nice snow flurry come through.
I've been in two caves in the Black Hills--I think Jewel Cave and Wind Cave. Both were excellent tours.

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. . .I guess."
Red Green
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #70

Ahhh, finally a name for the caves! Excellent rockfossilman, the perfect name for the caves LOL.....
Old 01-24-2020, 11:43 AM   #71

Anyone know where you can go hunt arrowheads? Thought it’d be neat to find a couple there.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:03 PM   #72

Here’s some info for our planned trip to the Rushmore area this May.

OK, we have our trip all planned out. Leaving Spokane, WA and spending two nights in Bozeman Montana to visit the Dinosaur Museum and other local attractions, staying at the Sunrise Campground.

Then two nights near Billings for the Custer Battlefield and other attractions, staying at the 7th Ranch RV Camp.

Then four nights at the Rafter J Bar Ranch campground for Rushmore and all other attractions in this area.

Then three nights at the Deadwood/Black Hills KOA for the Deadwood area.

Then heading home, two longs days of driving and I’ll figure out where we will stop later. All reservations are made, via web for the Deadwood KOA and the 7th Ranch RV Camp. Via phone with Rafter J Bar and Sunrise, both conversations were great. If the camps are as good as the folks I spoke with we are in great hands.

I’m not the OP on this thread but I thought I would share my trip plans for others.

Now, on to our Montana Ghost Town trip planning for September.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:30 PM   #73

Sounds like a well thought out plan. Was in Rapid City at the KOA last year for 4 nights and saw many attractions. You will find it easy to get around, sometimes back tracking through the same city, but can hop on the interstate alot to make time if going to Sturgis and Devil's Tower for instance.

Hike the Spearfish River and at the end of the trail the Spearfish Lodge makes a great fresh Trout and you can dine outside...

Enjoy
Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchdog View Post
Here’s some info for our planned trip to the Rushmore area this May.

OK, we have our trip all planned out. Leaving Spokane, WA and spending two nights in Bozeman Montana to visit the Dinosaur Museum and other local attractions, staying at the Sunrise Campground.

Then two nights near Billings for the Custer Battlefield and other attractions, staying at the 7th Ranch RV Camp.

Then four nights at the Rafter J Bar Ranch campground for Rushmore and all other attractions in this area.

Then three nights at the Deadwood/Black Hills KOA for the Deadwood area.

Then heading home, two longs days of driving and I’ll figure out where we will stop later. All reservations are made, via web for the Deadwood KOA and the 7th Ranch RV Camp. Via phone with Rafter J Bar and Sunrise, both conversations were great. If the camps are as good as the folks I spoke with we are in great hands.

I’m not the OP on this thread but I thought I would share my trip plans for others.

Now, on to our Montana Ghost Town trip planning for September.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
Old 02-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #74

Hatchdog, not sure of your route, but coming West to East from Spokane you should try to squeeze in a stop at Devils Tower in Wyoming. About 120 miles West of Deadwood or Spearfish. There is a campground right at the tower, a quaint pub and diner a quarter of a mile away and then that's it! The tower is well worth the side trip on your way to SD, or on your way home. We stayed at Elkhorn Ridge CG between Deadwood and Spearfish, out of a 1-10 rating I'd give it an 11, and day tripped to Devils Tower, and then Spearfish coming back. Sturgis is only 12 miles from Elkhorn and just 2-3 miles from the CG there is a great museum telling the story of the Tatanka, or buffalo, and the relationship with Native Americans and buffalo.

Enjoy the trip, there is a lot to see and the people in the region are great! Don't forget to hit Mount Rushmore Brew Pub in Custer.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #75

We just reserved seven day stay at Big Pine for first full week of June. Looking forward to going!
Old 02-20-2020, 01:25 PM   #76

Just Mike,
Enjoy the area. I went last year around the 4th of July and will definitely be headed back in the next few years.
Chris
Old 02-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #77

Just Mike, enjoy the Big Pine, great CG and so close to so many great things to see and do. A half-mile away from the campground entrance is a place that rents OHV's, off-highway vehicles. Folks around Custer, SD, and the surrounding area use these things on the highways as daily drivers! You'll see them everywhere, and in retrospect, after my DW and I left Big Pine we wished we would've checked out the rental on one. The trails are all around you to do a little off-roading with them, looked cool!

Don't forget Mt. Rushmore brewpub about a mile from Big Pine, great atmosphere, beer, foood and friendly friendly folks.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:57 PM   #78

At the Spearfish Canyon trailhead, the off rode vehicles are somewhere around $500 for half a day, and if memory from last summer serves me well, that's a conservative number.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #79

Thanks for the info parise and Sherman12! I was thinking of renting an off road vehicle, but if it's $500 for half-day that's probably a bit steep for my blood. But it looks like there will be more than enough to occupy us for a week with the historic towns, the Badlands, Custer SP and all the scenic drives. And then there's Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:37 AM   #80

We always rent the UTV’s since we always have grandkiddoes that “need to go” . You see things OFF the beaten path and just plan fun. We rented last time from Palmer Gulch KOA and previous times from Mad Mountain Adventures. It seems we paid approximately $200.00 for entire day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1B75E80B-5226-4FDF-845B-6B153C918DB3.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	621.0 KB
ID:	223780  
Wannabe123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping