Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2020, 11:16 AM   #81

Found a picture I took of utv and slingshot rental rates at the Spearfish Canyon trail head. A little less than I remember, but expect to add in taxes and maybe safety gear...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Mike View Post
Thanks for the info parise and Sherman12! I was thinking of renting an off road vehicle, but if it's $500 for half-day that's probably a bit steep for my blood. But it looks like there will be more than enough to occupy us for a week with the historic towns, the Badlands, Custer SP and all the scenic drives. And then there's Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190704_140556.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	223791
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:14 PM   #82

I also recommend big pine campground. We stayed there a couple of years ago and it was very nice. The restrooms are very clean and they have a playground for the kids. It is just minutes from the town of Custer and from Custer state park. We enjoyed going through Bear Country USA (near Rapid City). The drive through wildlife area was fun but what we really enjoyed was the walking path. You walk around an area with baby/young animals. the walking path is flat, concrete, and stroller friendly. we loved watching the young cub bears wrestle and chase each other around. there is a lot to do in the area and from what we saw most campgrounds looked nice. The scenery in the entire area is beautiful. Every night on our drives back to the campground we saw many animals - deer, bison, mountain goats (in the distance near mt. Rushmore), coyotes. We had a great time and plan to go back soon, we stayed 3-4 days and only scratched the surface of the things to do and see.

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:23 PM   #83

I definitely agree 3-4 nights only scratches the surface.

Of course, having an itinerary helps a great deal, there are plenty of itineraries with details on the web.

Also, when we were there last year around the 4th of July, the weather was very rough a few days. Luckily, storms seemed to come through at the end of the day but 1 day was a wash out and on another the fog was so thick the higher elevation sites were inaccessible.

Moral of the story, plan for a day or maybe more when you're not going to do it see much.

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincia View Post
I also recommend big pine campground. We stayed there a couple of years ago and it was very nice. The restrooms are very clean and they have a playground for the kids. It is just minutes from the town of Custer and from Custer state park. We enjoyed going through Bear Country USA (near Rapid City). The drive through wildlife area was fun but what we really enjoyed was the walking path. You walk around an area with baby/young animals. the walking path is flat, concrete, and stroller friendly. we loved watching the young cub bears wrestle and chase each other around. there is a lot to do in the area and from what we saw most campgrounds looked nice. The scenery in the entire area is beautiful. Every night on our drives back to the campground we saw many animals - deer, bison, mountain goats (in the distance near mt. Rushmore), coyotes. We had a great time and plan to go back soon, we stayed 3-4 days and only scratched the surface of the things to do and see.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:13 PM   #84

Look us up.... we will be working at The Crazy Horse Memorial from May - October....

Really excited about getting to spend 5 months in the Black Hills this summer.... one of our favorite spits to visit... (We spent all of July there last year Boondocking)
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:40 AM   #85

ernest, I would assume you are work camping? Are you set up with your rig right at Crazy Horse? Either way, 5 months in the Black Hills has to be incredible!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:43 PM   #86

We will be set up for 5 months in Heritage Village CG next to Crazy Horse.... Walking distance to memorial ....

We boondocked all last July in NFCG’s around Custer and LOVED it!!!!
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:12 PM   #87

Rafter J was great stayed there two summers ago. Clean big, pool was great for the kids
GregBarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:20 PM   #88

Rafter J is good, Palmer Gulch KOA is good....stayed there at least 8 times. Located between Hill City and Keystone.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:54 PM   #89

We’re going middle of August and going to stay at Rushmore Shadows but we’re Coast2Coast members so it’s cheaper. Just haven’t figured out what to do before and after. Planning to stay a week there and then who knows.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #90

Mt Rushmore area to Lusk, Wyomin

We will be in the Mount Rushmore area in early September in our 2006 Georgetown - towing ford focus. After a week or more in the Rushmore area we're looking at driving from near Spearfish S.D. to Lusk, Wyoming and would like to know if anyone has driven this route, any issues with tunnels or steep (7% plus) grades what to look for and any campground recommendation in the Lusk, Wy area.
BBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:26 PM   #91

Are you going to Devils Tower in Wyoming?
Old 07-15-2020, 09:11 AM   #92

Devil's Tower

Be advised that there is very limited parking for RVs at the visitor's center at Devil's Tower. A few years ago, we waited in a remote parking lot for over an hour for any parking spot to open up at the visitor's center. It didn't happen. We could have left the trailer there in the parking lot and hiked up to the visitor's center, but for some reason which I can't recall at the present time, we didn't feel like doing that. It may have been farther uphill than we wanted to hike.
DBigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:28 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBones View Post
We will be in the Mount Rushmore area in early September in our 2006 Georgetown - towing ford focus. After a week or more in the Rushmore area we're looking at driving from near Spearfish S.D. to Lusk, Wyoming and would like to know if anyone has driven this route, any issues with tunnels or steep (7% plus) grades what to look for and any campground recommendation in the Lusk, Wy area.

We will be going Lusk and then on to Rapid City. Should be in Lusk the 16th of August. We’re in Monument Co. right now. I’ll report what I see.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:59 PM   #94

The road from Lusk, Wy to Rushmore was a piece of cake. We went through Custer, SD and then up to Rapid City. There’s some construction on 85 north of Hwy 16 but I don’t know the details. 6% grades are pretty common in the area. Both up and down but no hairpins on 16. As far as campgrounds they are everywhere. We stayed at a very basic but nice with full hook ups in Lusk Wy and it was deathly quiet. Very nice people who run the place.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:26 AM   #95

Bike Rally

We have Big Pine booked in 2021 from Aug 12-17 to visit Custer SP, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Wind Cave NP...we recently found out that our dates fall at the tail end of the Sturgis Rally (Aug 6-15).

We don't mind bikes and bikers...however, we don't want the trip to be marred by excessive traffic and congestion at the sites we are visiting.

Any thoughts?
Should we reschedule etc?
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 2 Gooseneck Mount
mekkerlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:37 AM   #96

We were out there similar time this year. Stayed a Rafter J Bar near Hill City/Custer. Many bikers start bailing out toward the end of the rally. There were bikers but not many in large groups. Maybe less this year because of COVID but you should be fine if you are ok with Bike traffic
Old 10-05-2020, 08:40 AM   #97

mekkerlc, Sturgis is almost 90 miles away so after a week of partying and drinking, I think you should be ok from over crowding.

When you plan your route, seeing that your in Rochester, NY, don't take I90 through Chicago. Drop down to I80 which will take you about 50 south of Chicago, still crowded roads, but not like driving through the city towing your rig.

This is a great thread that points out all the places to go and see along the way and while you enjoy your stay at Big Pine. Print it out and carry it along with your other travel plans.

No doubt that you will absolutely enjoy All that So. Dakota and the Black Hills has to offer!
Old 10-05-2020, 08:51 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekkerlc View Post
We have Big Pine booked in 2021 from Aug 12-17 to visit Custer SP, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Wind Cave NP...we recently found out that our dates fall at the tail end of the Sturgis Rally (Aug 6-15).

We don't mind bikes and bikers...however, we don't want the trip to be marred by excessive traffic and congestion at the sites we are visiting.

Any thoughts?
Should we reschedule etc?
We have RVd in the Black Hills and even lived in Rapid City twice...over 5 different Sturgis Bike Rallies. This year was the 75th anniversary (I think) and it was probably crazier than usual. You won't have any problems with the bikers as the area is generally safe and they tend to police themselves, believe it or not. There will be lots of traffic, even for the 76th rally, but not on the same scale as this year. If you like being the only people in at an attraction, you won't like it then. But if having other tourists around doesn't bother you, you'll still have a good time. Just make your reservations as soon as possible. Places like Wind Cave (excellent) and the Mammoth dig are popular, so keep that in mind. I'm thinking that if you want to horseback ride, etc. you won't have much competition from the bikers. Mt. Rushmore can handle large crowds, but is worth your time. The sunrise ceremony or lighting ceremonies were excellent, but we haven't been there for them is a long time. The roads in the Black Hills are in great shape, but some are two lane so be patient and you'll have a great time. BTW: My family thinks RVing in the Black Hills is the best vacation.
kermitvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:06 AM   #99

We go there every year the very same week. Don't cancel. While there are a lot of motorcyclists in all the surrounding small towns....it is not a mass of congestion unless you go into the town of Sturgis itself...or Deadwood...60 miles north of Custer. Driving is pleasant throughout the Black Hills. Mt Rushmore is always busy...throughout the summer. Custer State Park is never congested like other destination parks in the country. The top bike riding roads...like Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road will be busy...but not stop and go congested by any means. The small towns of Custer, Keystone, Hill City, etc. have their Main Street closed to cars and open for motorcycles only...but there is plenty of parking on side streets. It is an awesome spectacle to see all the bikes...and people are friendly and just shopping. It is not the crazy madhouse it is made out to be...unless you are in the late night bars in downtown Sturgis. My wife was always afraid to go to the rally....thinking it was a madhouse. She loves to go now...since even in Sturgis, it is just a big street vendor fair with tents selling stuff to eager shoppers. We purposely go that week to meet our camper friends there every year....6 years straight now. Yes ...we ride motorcycles....but we don't do biker bars and stuff like that. Just normal camper folks...
RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:49 AM   #100

Thank you, thank you, thank you - this is excellent information. I have been stressing over needing to re-route the trip, but you guys just made me feel a lot better about just staying the course and not cancelling the reservations.

It looks as though Big Pine is definitely the place for us, location, and not run down etc. The kids won't need all the pools and activities as we'll be out hiking and sight seeing most of the time.

We'll be driving from Jackson Hole -- with hopes of either doing the drive in one day straight to Big Pine (~480miles)...or stopping somewhere in between...or heading to Devils Tower for a night on the way...but that wouldn't really save us any driving I guess either.

For our Big Pine stay (current draft):

Aug 12 - Drive from Jackson to Devils Tower
Aug 13 - Hike Devils Tower...then drive to Big Pine...see Rushmore at night
Aug 14 - Custer SP and Crazy Horse
Aug 15 - Wind Cave NP and Hot Springs (if we can find a swimming place)
Aug 16 - Needles drive, maybe rent UTV somewhere etc...
Aug 17 - Drive to Badlands NP
Aug 18 - Hike Badlands
Aug 19 - Drive home towards Rochester, NY

Thoughts?
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 2 Gooseneck Mount
mekkerlc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping