Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #1

Suggestions for campgrounds in or near New Orleans

Anyone have any recommendations for a campground in the New Orleans area. We'd be there in early march--I'm hoping to celebrate my birthday in the Big Easy. We're planning to spend a couple of days to a week.

Access to public transport or a reasonable cab ride to the Latin Quarter would be great. Like I said I'm planning to celebrate.

Money is important--we're starting out on a cross country trip and don't want to blow the budget in the first month. Hookups desirable but not necessary.
brooklyncowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:36 PM   #2

We are at the New Orleans West KOA right now. The weather is beautiful. We got in today & have not had a chance to explore but the people in the office were very nice & helpful. There is a shuttle from the KOA to the French Quarter. It leaves early in the morning & gets back at 6 pm (too long of a day for us retirees). The sites are paved, long & we have full hookup. There is laundry facilities & a pool that is closed now because it is cool outside. We are about 30 minutes from the French Quarter. Seems like a safe area.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:34 PM   #3

Look around for Louisiana state and Parish parks. The ones in Calcasieu Parish are nice and $12 a night with water and electric.This is a great resource. http://www.rv-camping.org/louisiana/
Old 03-17-2016, 01:25 AM   #4
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I was going there last year but my plans changed, I was told by many to stay out of New Orleans, too much break ins and theft, Camp away from the city.
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:24 AM   #5

Probably too late but we just spent two weeks at the Pontchartain Landing RV resort. Wonderful place on one of the major canals on the lake. Park has all the normal things but also has a restaurant which as great. We rented a car and were only 15 minutes from French Quarter. They also had a shuttle to the Quarter that went a couple times a day. Rate was $60 but well worthy it for a full hook up. One I would NOT recommend is the French Quarter RV park. It's a mile to the French Quarter but I wouldn't walk it after dark. Park is surrounded with a block wall and razor wire. Also $109 a nite! Stay at Pontchartain Landing. You won't be sorry. Oh, and don't worry about the directions your GPS is giving you. You drive through a strange part of town to get there from the highway but keep going. Turns out quite nice. Also, everything you need within a mile or two.
richardelarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardelarson View Post
Probably too late but we just spent two weeks at the Pontchartain Landing RV resort. Wonderful place on one of the major canals on the lake. Park has all the normal things but also has a restaurant which as great. We rented a car and were only 15 minutes from French Quarter. They also had a shuttle to the Quarter that went a couple times a day. Rate was $60 but well worthy it for a full hook up. One I would NOT recommend is the French Quarter RV park. It's a mile to the French Quarter but I wouldn't walk it after dark. Park is surrounded with a block wall and razor wire. Also $109 a nite! Stay at Pontchartain Landing. You won't be sorry. Oh, and don't worry about the directions your GPS is giving you. You drive through a strange part of town to get there from the highway but keep going. Turns out quite nice. Also, everything you need within a mile or two.
Thanks, that sounds pretty good. We haven't left yet--problems with the closing on the house. We're looking for something in the city so that would be good.
brooklyncowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg