Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #1

Tennessee State Parks New Reservation System

Tennessee State Parks is going under a reservation system, implented on the 3rd of December of this year. Not all parks are under this system yet.

I live about 25 miles from the Cedars of Lebanon State Park. We have camped there many times this past year. I have gone over on a Wednesday, found a spot and set up camp. The DW works so she comes over after work, stays the night and if she has to work the next day, drives in from the campground. I have always been able to find a site, even if I go on a Thursday or Friday morning.

This state park has three different campgrounds, #1, #2, and #3. #1 is pull thru's., mixed with 30 and 50 Amp service. It stays open all year. #2 is 30 Amp only, all spots are back-in's. Several of the spots went down this year because of electrical problems, they are limited to PUPs and tents. Campground #3 is limited to PUPs and tents, 20 Amp service only. This campground has paved spots except around the tables and firepits. Campgrounds 2 and 3 are closed during the winter monthhs. From what I understand the campground is supposed to be upgraded in the fiscal year 2014.

Now, I need to call the reservation system to see how it will work. I just hope that it doesn't get confusing and I have to tie up money in advance for camping in 2013. I don't mind booking the COE sites because I can see what spot I want. Sometime we like to do the spur of the moment in going camping. I know that many others also do this based on their work schedules.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #2

We live close to Cedars too. Fall Creek Falls has been in the reservation system for several years and you can still just drive up and camp in sites that are not already reserved. Hopefully, it will be the same. I think the reservation system must be to allow them to have less staff at the individual parks. :-(

The bad thing about reservations is that you can't cancel without losing some money and if your family is like mine, we are seldom know what we are doing until we get there. I will be interested in how this works too.

stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #3

I called Tim's Ford the other day and talked with them about the new system, they are still learning. I don't know if you have used the Georgia State Park's system, when you reserve through them you put down one night's stay for deposit, partially refundable if you cancel. They have different color sites depending on the size, etc. You are garanteed a spot, just have to get there and find it. The sites are color coded...when you check in they will tell you to look for a white or spot spot that is available. I have driven down and have always been able to find a spot. Recently we wanted a four night stay a month ago, could get a Thursday night, and a Sunday night and that was it, should have booked earlier, we ended up staying in a private campground.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #4

We seldom make reservations anywhere. We have even lucked into spots at Yosemite and Yellowstone. But, it does seem that the state parks are getting busy.

Sunday, we drove up to Fall Creek Falls for the afternoon and to scope out the campground. We have not been camping since we got our new Class C and wanted to see how it would fit in the sites. They had signs up everywhere that there was a 4 week camping limit. I thought that was a bit absurd. It used to be 14 days. So, now, apparently you can live at the state park...just change sites every four weeks.

We haven't camped in a Georgia state park in a long time. Most of our trips are kind of spontaneous. We just roam around and when we get tired, find a spot to camp. It will probably be much different in a 31ft class C. Our little Sprinter van would fit most anywhere, so it was never an issue.

Do you think the TN reservations will work like GA or more like the National Park/COA site?

stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote