Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2016, 12:38 PM   #1

Theodore Roosevelt NP, what to do?

Planning a visit to TRNP, want to see the horses. Have no idea what is there. First trip west of Iowa. I like history, landscapes, water, animals, any ideas? Thanks!
ilcamphost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:05 AM   #2

TRNP has two campgrounds, an hour's drive apart. If you want to see the horses, stay at the south entrance campground. I believe they have upgraded some of the sites with electricity. You can make reservations on the south entrance also. The north entrance is still first come first serve, primitive. There is a little town called Medora at the south entrance, google it. There are some fun things to do there, golf, the Medora Musical, shopping, etc. Lots of hiking trails in the park also. Have a great time.
Campingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #3

Medora ND and Theodore Roosevelt National Park

That was our destination trip during the summer of 2016 from WI. We ended parking our 44" toyhauler in town at a campground (Red Trail). I read the national park campgrounds are pretty tight to drive through so I got nervous when I read about the 13 foot height limit because of limbs. Once there, I drove through both the north and south campgrounds with our truck only, could have went in both if careful. As far as visiting the parks, way more buffalo in the north section, more wild horses in the south. Visit both sections and go to the sunset viewing area east of Medora on I-94 one evening. Check out The Bully Pulpit golf course if you golf. If you in the Medora Red Trail campground or the city's campground you can walk into town. Plan at least 3 days (4 nights) there if you can.
Tractor Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Guy View Post
That was our destination trip during the summer of 2016 from WI. We ended parking our 44" toyhauler in town at a campground (Red Trail). I read the national park campgrounds are pretty tight to drive through so I got nervous when I read about the 13 foot height limit because of limbs. Once there, I drove through both the north and south campgrounds with our truck only, could have went in both if careful. As far as visiting the parks, way more buffalo in the north section, more wild horses in the south. Visit both sections and go to the sunset viewing area east of Medora on I-94 one evening. Check out The Bully Pulpit golf course if you golf. If you in the Medora Red Trail campground or the city's campground you can walk into town. Plan at least 3 days (4 nights) there if you can.
Heading out to TRNP and Red Trail CG in July for a 4 month long trip. Thanks for the great information. This is our first trip in that area. We originally planned to only stay 3 nights but after reading your post we decided to add another night to our stay. Thanks,

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:34 PM   #5

TRNP

History buffs enjoy the tour at the Chateau de Mores. Medora was the name of the wife of Mr. de Mores. Medora the town is very walkable, with many shops and a couple of drinking establishments. One of which has many hats hanging from the ceiling. The reason is they have a hat hanging party for residents who move away from Medora. One of the residents, many years ago, was the owner of Ivory Snow and Mr.Bubble.
rxrdbou1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #6

If you are in the area of Cooperstown, ND, stop at the historic Missle Silo. It has been restored by the local Historical Society and is great, especially if you are of a certain age where we had to hide under our desks for drills. It's out of the way but worth the drive!
DebbieHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:38 PM   #7

Talking Pitchfork steak fondu buffet and show

Go to Medora and attend the Pitch Fork Fondu and show....It is pricy but you will not leave there hungry.....
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #8

We stayed in Dickinson. Great little town to explore. Ate at some great down-home country cooking places and met a lot of local people doing so. Got hundreds of pictures of the park and its wild life. Stayed late one night to see the great sun set.

Stories about our RV parking places: North Park CG - Dickinson, ND
Old 01-03-2017, 05:52 PM   #9

We were there this past summer and stayed in the South Park near Merida. Passed on the dinner / musical b/c of the mixed on-line reviews. A little pricy but it's the big event in town and many like it and they pack them in. The south park was great with beautiful scenery and lots of wildlife including a ton of buffalo. Sadly we didn't have time to do the normal h park but we heard it was great but it's a drive. Next time. Strongly recommend the Tho Roosevelt stand up impersonator at a small theater in town. An hr show that was quite intertaining for I think 15 bucks. Medora is a cute little town and is worth walking around but dinner was costly.
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #10

Ft. Mandan

Be sure to visit Fort Mandan where Lewis & Clark spent the winter on their epic journey to the Pacific. Garrison Dam is another wonder of the modern world. We enjoyed the open spaces of N. Dakota and the lack of big crowds.
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #11

Oh give me a home where the buffalo roam....

But be always watching your step....

Beautiful park. Not to be missed.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:48 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
We did Theodore Roosevelt NP in 2015, it was our first motorhome trip. I loved the park, both South and North parts. Medora is a very small town without a grocery store, so don't follow our lead and show up with an empty fridge. About 10 miles south of the north campground there is a gas station with a great little grocery section. We stayed a few night at Red Tail (and returned there this year on the way back from Glacier), nice people, clean, tightly packed. Drive the wildlife loop in the south unit early AM and just before sunset, you will see a lot. Make sure to stop at the south unit visitor center and tour the Theodore Roosevelt Home. Landscape is a lot like the badlands but with more green. I hope you enjoy. Also stop at the Painted Canyon "Rest Area" off of I-95, great little hike but watch for rattle snakes on the trail, I almost stepped on this guy: Rattle Snake on the trail at Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Painted Canyon Trail by cdrdwd, on Flickr

A few photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cdrdwd...57654837210899
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:56 AM   #13

Sounds like a great place to go. I am going to add it to my bucket list.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:36 PM   #14

Hey me too. I'm heading that way from NC in May. It's on the way maybe to Alaska but it's a good while away. We went to Custer State Park last year and got lost but not to first time getting lost. Had a great time

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #15

We stayed at the southern campground. We had wild horses and buffalo wandering through the campground. You will see a lot more, along with prairie dogs, as you travel through the park. Visit the visitor center and the northern park while you are there. The landscape is totally different than what we are use to here in Michigan. Reminded me of the moon.
Top B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:39 PM   #16
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top B View Post
We stayed at the southern campground. We had wild horses and buffalo wandering through the campground. You will see a lot more, along with prairie dogs, as you travel through the park. Visit the visitor center and the northern park while you are there. The landscape is totally different than what we are use to here in Michigan. Reminded me of the moon.
You've been to the moon??? Cool!
Old 01-05-2017, 09:35 AM   #17

Do you need to make reservations a long ways out, we plan to be there in May of this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
You've been to the moon??? Cool!
Believe it or not, they have this technology called video and photos where you can actually see the moon without traveling there.

Top B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:19 PM   #19

Don't miss the two Petrified Forest areas in the Northeast corner of the South Unit of TRNP. There are hiking trails to them from within the park, but you can get to the Petrified Forests easier by taking West River Road that leads North from I94/Rt 10 Exit 23. This skirts the East border of the park; there's a parking lot and a trailhead. Take your dinghy, the parking lot has limited space for maneuvering a large rig. After 1/2 mile the trail forks - go left toward the North Petrified Forest area, or right toward the South PF area. Either area is roughly one mile total of easy interesting hiking from the parking lot.
geoff270ssf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo