Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #1

VA to Big Bend via Natchez Trace

Any recommendations as to good campgrounds, especially in TX? Leaving Mar 23.
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #2

The Excapee's RV park in Livingston, TX.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Haulin' Camp

Are you taking the Natchez all the way to the end in Mississippi?
2 Dogs

KewlKamperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #4

Geri--I had planned on doing the Natchez Trace last year after I picked up my new TT in Ohio. However the pickup date kept getting moved back and I couldn't keep my vacation open to give me enough time. It looks like it would be a very interesting route to take. I'm sorry I didn't get to do it. Maybe on another trip. Have a good time!
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierGus View Post
Geri--I had planned on doing the Natchez Trace last year after I picked up my new TT in Ohio. However the pickup date kept getting moved back and I couldn't keep my vacation open to give me enough time. It looks like it would be a very interesting route to take. I'm sorry I didn't get to do it. Maybe on another trip. Have a good time!
Thanks Gus. I know several others who ran it. Will report end and any good places to stay.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlKamperz View Post
Are you taking the Natchez all the way to the end in Mississippi?
Yes, we plan to do it all, Nashville to Natchez. Will post when done.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
The Excapee's RV park in Livingston, TX.
Neat! That looks like right on the way. Is it on the nearby lake (Map). Thank you.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #8

There is also a nice KOA in Livingston, right on the lake with a good restaurant on-site. If you plan to take I-10 W thru Kerrville, check out Guadulape River RV Resort (a few miles off the Interstate on Hwy27) or Buckhorn Lake Resort right on I-10. We have stayed at both places several times. Farther West on I-10 is Balmorhea State Park (a couple of hours from Big Bend). Not much to offer out in that part of the state, although there is a nice Western museum in Pecos about 40 miles away.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsea View Post
There is also a nice KOA in Livingston, right on the lake with a good restaurant on-site. If you plan to take I-10 W thru Kerrville, check out Guadulape River RV Resort (a few miles off the Interstate on Hwy27) or Buckhorn Lake Resort right on I-10. We have stayed at both places several times. Farther West on I-10 is Balmorhea State Park (a couple of hours from Big Bend). Not much to offer out in that part of the state, although there is a nice Western museum in Pecos about 40 miles away.
Thanks for the heads up on Texas RV Parks. We want to hit as many Parks (Nat'l and State) as possible.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #10

Davis Mountain State Park is a beautiful park and is a about 2 hours from the the Big Bend. In fact, we just returned from our annual trip. Lajitas also has a nice park with swimming pool. Enjoy your trip to Texas
Nelsongal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geri View Post

Thanks for the heads up on Texas RV Parks. We want to hit as many Parks (Nat'l and State) as possible.
Those sound great. Currently in Bristol TN awaking to rain. The park here Rocky Top, is very nice. Thanks so much for TX info.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #12
Site Team

When traveling down The Trace, make sure you plan your trip where you can eat at The Old Country Store, in Lorman MS. I promise, you will be glad you did. You can do an internet search and there are many youtube videos about Mr. D there.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/old-country-store-lorman-2

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #13

Geri,If you are going to (Lots) of Nat. Parks secure a (Nat Park Senior Pass) If you are (Senior age group)? Not saying you are,just saying it is a Big $$ saver if you go to (Lots) of Nat. Parks. Welcome Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Geri,If you are going to (Lots) of Nat. Parks secure a (Nat Park Senior Pass) If you are (Senior age group)? Not saying you are,just saying it is a Big $$ saver if you go to (Lots) of Nat. Parks. Welcome Youroo!!
We have the senior citizen Eagle pass for Nat'l Parks and have heard it's good to get the Texas pass. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
When traveling down The Trace, make sure you plan your trip where you can eat at The Old Country Store, in Lorman MS. I promise, you will be glad you did. You can do an internet search and there are many youtube videos about Mr. D there.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/old-country-store-lorman-2
Have marked Lorman on our Trace map. That sounds neat. Can't wait. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geri View Post
We have the senior citizen Eagle pass for Nat'l Parks and have heard it's good to get the Texas pass. Thanks.
What is the (Senior Eagle Pass)? How much $ was it? Thanks,Youroo!!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #17

The Nat'l Parks Sr Pass costs about $20-$25. Once you have it, it lets you into all Nat'l Parks and Nat'l Monuments and more-- for free. Up to 4 in your car can get in free also. It is for the entrance fee only. You still have to pay for camping -- but it is at half price. This is a one time fee, not annual! They check your driver's license when you present your pass so the Rangers do keep an eye on who is using it. Very worthwhile to have. You have to be 62 to obtain this I believe. I've used mine several times, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Devil's Tower etc..

Old 03-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #18

this isn't going to help u with texas but we travel between (around) greenville, mississippi and Lawrenceburg, Tn several times/yr via the trace. we have been all the way up to nashville once.
i can recomend the Thasound trails natchez trace rv park if u find urself in that area. even though, it is located next to the trace, i would go down to US 64 and work my way back. if u exit next to the park, the overpass has a low clearance...i believe 10.5 ft.
u are probably going to go to baton rouge from natchez. i would prefere to go to Alexandria, la and go down US165 (i don't like the traffic in baton rouge near the miss river bridge).
there is a nice campground, run by the state, just south of Alexandra, La. at woodworth, la. called Indian Creek. nice park, widely recommended.
If u find urself in Sonora, Tx there is a campground just south of the interstate. if ur into caves, they have an interesting one just outside of town.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierGus View Post
The Nat'l Parks Sr Pass costs about $20-$25. Once you have it, it lets you into all Nat'l Parks and Nat'l Monuments and more-- for free. Up to 4 in your car can get in free also. It is for the entrance fee only. You still have to pay for camping -- but it is at half price. This is a one time fee, not annual! They check your driver's license when you present your pass so the Rangers do keep an eye on who is using it. Very worthwhile to have. You have to be 62 to obtain this I believe. I've used mine several times, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Devil's Tower etc..

Nope,Senior Pass is (10.00$) lifetime. I ask what a (Eagle Pass) was. Youroo!!
Old 03-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #20

Sorry, wasn't paying close enough attention to your post.