Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2017, 05:59 PM   #1

When is Best Time to Travel to Texas?

I am planning a trip from Rochester, NY through Arkansas to Waco then Amarillo, TX ending in Kansas City, KS. I want to travel when schools are in session, so early spring or fall seems to be the best time for a trip lasting about a month. I am trying to avoid severe weather conditions in this part of the country and am at a loss for when it would be best to travel. I've never traveled with my fifth wheel westerly beyond Ohio so this a "big" trip for me. I am traveling alone if this makes a difference. I'd appreciate any and all comments from those more experienced than I.

Kim
2021 Ford f150 XLT, 5L, Garmin RV760MT
Travel Companions - Zoey and Zeus
fayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:19 PM   #2

October in most of Texas is delightful. The problem in the spring is that the Gulf waters are cold, so if you want beach areas, October and November are best.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
Always Learning

I've come across Texas in late April and endured 50+ mph winds and snow in Amarillo, TX in the last days of April.

I drove across Texas in January and was cold.

I'll soon be driving across Texas in mid-October and then in mid-to-late-November. I'm hoping that's the sweet spot!
Old 08-24-2017, 06:33 PM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

In general, I would say fall, October time frame. Just remember it is hurricane season around then. In spring you get the typical spring thunderstorms. So for severe weather, pick your poison. But I would think fall the better choice. But also keep in mind the weather travelling back north.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
October in most of Texas is delightful. The problem in the spring is that the Gulf waters are cold, so if you want beach areas, October and November are best.
Nice! We're scheduled for Galveston for Thanksgiving. Right up against the beach.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:20 PM   #6

I'd say Late September, October, through early November. It will usually start to be cold in Amarillo by November, though that is "cold" by Texas standards... Daytime highs may be in the 50's with lows sometimes in the 20's. That will get you some fall foliage as you travel through the Midwest and into Arkansas. There will likely be winds in Amarillo regardless of time of year. There will be no worries in Central Texas... Waco doesn't get cold until Christmas (usually).
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:32 PM   #7

Thanksgiving, Cajun deep fried turkey, Galveston beach. Hard to beat
Old 08-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #8
Branchman

Texas

Not right now for sure!

⛈🌬💨🌪🌫⛈
Branchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branchman View Post
Not right now for sure!

⛈🌬💨🌪🌫⛈
Ain't that the truth. There are about 4 RV'ers in Port Aransas (on a barrier island) that are planning to stay in their RV's.

Fall is a great time to visit Texas. North, South, East or West. It does get cold in Nov., Dec., and Jan. I cannot forget Central. Texas is big, really big. I usually take me two days to get out of it unless I am going to Mexico and that is a 10 minute drive.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:50 PM   #10

Wait till Harvey goes by and thjngs dry up thenhead for Texas in the fall. Best time and some of the nicest campgrounds.
Dpelaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #11

Best Time To Travel Through Texas

I am leaving from Cincinnati to Waco Texas around the 17th of September. I got my Georgetown in July at MHS in Alvarado Texas and it wasn't too bad. But honestly I was more concerned about not wrecking the new RV before I got back to Cincy. Seemed to be a lot of construction out in Texas and made for bumpy ride. But friends went and said September is cooler but can still be very hot. It just depends. Have FUN! Dennis
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #12

Traveling to Texas

Of course being a native Texan any time is good for a visit.........but most of the replies have been right on. Sept through Christmas is usually the best. Starts to cool off and won't run into tornadoes that time of year.......but Harvey is going to change things in the southern part of the state for several months I'm afraid. Those rv'ers in Port Aransas better get out. They must not have seen the latest reports of landfall and severity. I'm outside of Waco and been here better part of 65 years. Like they say everything is bigger in Texas........including the mosquitoes and humidity levels. Safe travels.
hollandsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #13

I have fond memories of driving west across Texas with a constant headwind that killed what little gas mileage I was getting.
Epat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #14

I live in Waco and agree, Fall is the best time for moderate temps. Also be aware that I-35 is under construction in quite a few places between Ft Worth and Austin. Parts of Ft Worth and Temple are really bad. I try to avoid I-35 when I am pulling my 5th wheel, it is bad enough in a car.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:24 PM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to Dojomom
Not right now! That's for sure!

We have a lot of Winter Texans who show up in October and stay until March. We usually have great weather in October and November, and again in February and March. Bluebonnets start to show in late February, and a wet winter means that March and April are spectacular.

Before I got old, I thought having an actual tent instead of just a tarp was luxury camping. I'm enjoying 25' travel trailer.
Dojomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandsam View Post
Of course being a native Texan any time is good for a visit.........but most of the replies have been right on. Sept through Christmas is usually the best. Starts to cool off and won't run into tornadoes that time of year.......but Harvey is going to change things in the southern part of the state for several months I'm afraid. Those rv'ers in Port Aransas better get out. They must not have seen the latest reports of landfall and severity. I'm outside of Waco and been here better part of 65 years. Like they say everything is bigger in Texas........including the mosquitoes and humidity levels. Safe travels.

Might see you there. Ha ha. We will be in Waco on the 14th next month!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:28 PM   #17

October - November would be my choice.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasqms View Post
I live in Waco and agree, Fall is the best time for moderate temps. Also be aware that I-35 is under construction in quite a few places between Ft Worth and Austin. Parts of Ft Worth and Temple are really bad. I try to avoid I-35 when I am pulling my 5th wheel, it is bad enough in a car.

Noted
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
Ain't that the truth. There are about 4 RV'ers in Port Aransas (on a barrier island) that are planning to stay in their RV's.

Fall is a great time to visit Texas. North, South, East or West. It does get cold in Nov., Dec., and Jan. I cannot forget Central. Texas is big, really big. I usually take me two days to get out of it unless I am going to Mexico and that is a 10 minute drive.
Sure hope those RV'ers changed their mind and left the barrier island. Not safe for anyone there due to the low elevation.

October and November would be good months to visit Texas. Weather is usually a little cooler then.

Hope you enjoy your visit.
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:06 PM   #20

NMWildcat, on behalf of Texas, thank you.

Tags
travel