Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2022, 08:22 PM   #1

12v refrigerator

We order a new 2022 sunseeker 3010ds. Hope it comes in soon. Was suppose to be here in December,but like everything esle "covid" good news is the home is off line and waiting for paint. I seen they come with a 12volt refrigerator. Question is do it work on propane or 12volt? The other is I seen some have a single bowl sink or are they still have the double bowl? The FR brochure show double which is what i am hoping for. Last did anyone get a new rig and what is your over all view on them?
Sonseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:46 PM   #2

one would think it is both 12 and Propane. as far as your sink is concerned, I would call. we actually like the single round bowl. Great for putting the slow cooker in and more counter top room...
billcrews81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:47 PM   #3

My understanding is that a 12v fridge only runs on 12v power. No propane involved in those units.
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
mmartin_tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:49 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonseeker View Post
We order a new 2022 sunseeker 3010ds. Hope it comes in soon. Was suppose to be here in December,but like everything esle "covid" good news is the home is off line and waiting for paint. I seen they come with a 12volt refrigerator. Question is do it work on propane or 12volt? The other is I seen some have a single bowl sink or are they still have the double bowl? The FR brochure show double which is what i am hoping for. Last did anyone get a new rig and what is your over all view on them?
There is no 12v/propane fridge unless it's a 3-way fridge found in popups and truck campers .
It's almost surely a 12v only fridge, which is what RV manufacturers are installing now. 2-way 110ac/propane fridges were the Industry standard until supply issues and costs forced the move to 12v only fridges.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:00 PM   #5

Beginning around September 2019, all Sunseeker Classic models are built with 12 volt only refrigerators. There is no option to run this refrigerator type on propane.

Like the OP said, the 2022 Sunseeker brochure shows a double bowl kitchen sink. However, there is no guarantee that the brochure is correct or that Forest River might not change the specifications. https://www.forestriverinc.com/broch...erbrochure.pdf
Old 01-05-2022, 09:02 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

The refrigerator in the F/SS are 12v these days. It will be a challenge for boondocking. If you did not get the solar option it will be more of a challenge.

All the Classic Series should have the double sink.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:31 AM   #7

Thank you all for the information. I am new to this site . Very helpful information. Its is a great comfort knowing forest river and everyone on this site has your back and ready to help thank you all again
Old 01-06-2022, 10:16 AM   #8
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thank you all for the information. I am new to this site . Very helpful information. Its is a great comfort knowing forest river and everyone on this site has your back and ready to help thank you all again
FYI, this site is not affiliated with Forest River. There are a few FR folks who do post from time to time. Their profile will read “Commercial Member”. If you want direct support from FR it is best to contact them directly. Phone numbers are available on the ForestRiverInc.com
Old 01-06-2022, 12:14 PM   #9

Quote:
As Ducky said, Forest River does not operate this forum. For most of the FR product divisions, there is no interactive Forest River participation on the site. (No offense meant to FR, but I prefer it that way). See the disclaimer at the bottom of the forum page:
DISCLAIMER:
This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Welcome and Best of Luck!

As to FR having your back. YMMV

My personal experience tells me Forest River is a lot like the VA. The squeaky wheel gets greased. And you have to be very good at herding cats
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:52 PM   #11

Oh sorry. Thank you for pointing that out . Well thank you all for the responses
Old 01-06-2022, 10:43 PM   #12

While 12v can be more challenging for boon docking without solar be aware there are advantages. For one, if needed to be replaced, they are cheaper. I have proved out a larger 12v one for my unit over the propane one and it ended up being around $800 less. The other thing is they are far more efficient at cooling. 12v only models are not absorption fridges but are true compressor fridges. They will cool down fast like a normal fridge. The last thing is they are safer. The old style propane fridges are known fire hazards and have been known to burn down an RV here and there. Family friends went up on a trip due to this 20 years ago.

There are downsides. They are noisier. You will hear the compressor running. Some don't care others find it annoying. They use power and thus run batteries down. That being said they are as efficient as possible and a decent simple solar setup should more than make up for the use.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter99 View Post
While 12v can be more challenging for boon docking without solar be aware there are advantages. For one, if needed to be replaced, they are cheaper. I have proved out a larger 12v one for my unit over the propane one and it ended up being around $800 less. The other thing is they are far more efficient at cooling. 12v only models are not absorption fridges but are true compressor fridges. They will cool down fast like a normal fridge. The last thing is they are safer. The old style propane fridges are known fire hazards and have been known to burn down an RV here and there. Family friends went up on a trip due to this 20 years ago.

There are downsides. They are noisier. You will hear the compressor running. Some don't care others find it annoying. They use power and thus run batteries down. That being said they are as efficient as possible and a decent simple solar setup should more than make up for the use.
Those are a lot of good points, but if I’m boondocking for a week in dense forest shade where my solar panels deliver little power, then how inexpensive it os, how efficient the refrigerator is, or how fast it cools down won’t matter. The ice cream melted early in the week.

Frankly, I think the main reason FR started installing them is reduced cost. No roof or side vent needed, no propane line needed, no 120 volt AC wire needed. Plus, the refrigerator costs less, as you mentioned. After the RV is sold, the buyer might eventually realize the downsides. BTW, this is not a Covid supply thing, as FR started installing 12 volt refrigerators in Sunseekers around late summer 2019.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:40 AM   #14
Commercial Member

the refer only runs off of 12volt power. While some of our models have a single bowl sink the 3010 has a double bowl sink.

Hope this helps
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v, refrigerator