Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2022, 11:20 PM   #1

13.5kw to 15kw air conditioner

I have a Sunseeker 3010. With the one 13kw air conditioner, July temps can make it difficult to keep the motorhome cool without putting blackout shades over every window. I wanted to hear from anyone that either changed out to a 15kw, or had it as original install. Is that enough for hot, humid summer heat or would it still struggle to keep up? Also which models do you have?
carol108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:50 AM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Minutia

Basic math dictates that 1500 additional British thermal units = more cooling capacity. However, regardless of which model you have, heat management is the key to success. Here are some places to address:
Vents: Stuff a vent insulator in every one.
Windows: Shades down, reflectix or other insulating board.
Windshield and cab windows: reflectix and white outside cover like Adco.
Skylights: Insulation and reflectix.
Cab Curtain: Insulated fabric to partition cab off.
Slide outs: Toppers for sure.
Door Side: Awning out if possible.

I am basically saying that caves are cooler so make a cave.

Also important is to keep your filter clean and the condenser coil as well. I have even seen some folks pull slide(s) in during extreme conditions.

You can even add a second A/C or more aggressive mods but that is another story.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:22 AM   #3

i have 1 15000 btu dometic in a 30 ft puma toyhauler. no well insulated and it does a great job. its wired for 2nd ac up top ,but i cant see the need for it. mine is ducted to upper bed area.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:54 AM   #4

Depends on where you live and play.

In Houston when the temps are over 100 two 15,000 btu units will only lower the temp in a fairly well insulated 37’ fifth wheel to under 80 degrees.

Generally I would recommend the max ac unit capacity you can get.

Upfront cost of more ac is not that expensive. A 15k unit vs a 13.5k is not that much. 10x likely to remove a unit and replace it.

We are glampers though.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 12:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Basic math dictates that 1500 additional British thermal units = more cooling capacity. However, regardless of which model you have, heat management is the key to success. Here are some places to address:
Vents: Stuff a vent insulator in every one.
Windows: Shades down, reflectix or other insulating board.
Windshield and cab windows: reflectix and white outside cover like Adco.
Skylights: Insulation and reflectix.
Cab Curtain: Insulated fabric to partition cab off.
Slide outs: Toppers for sure.
Door Side: Awning out if possible.

I am basically saying that caves are cooler so make a cave.

Also important is to keep your filter clean and the condenser coil as well. I have even seen some folks pull slide(s) in during extreme conditions.

You can even add a second A/C or more aggressive mods but that is another story.

I’ve done pretty much all the suggestions you have. The first year we went to Myrtle beach in July, we were not prepared for what type of heat and humidity they had. Years following, all the suggestions you have helped, but was hoping to not have it so much like a “cave” all the time to keep it cooler. I see reviews on Amazon these changing from 13.5 to 15 made a world of difference, but I don’t always trust reviews on there. Was hoping for confirmation on a forum like this
Old 03-09-2022, 12:09 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol108 View Post
I’ve done pretty much all the suggestions you have. The first year we went to Myrtle beach in July, we were not prepared for what type of heat and humidity they had. Years following, all the suggestions you have helped, but was hoping to not have it so much like a “cave” all the time to keep it cooler. I see reviews on Amazon these changing from 13.5 to 15 made a world of difference, but I don’t always trust reviews on there. Was hoping for confirmation on a forum like this
It will help. You might want to check for one that is compatible with your current control box and thermostat to save some $$$.
Old 03-09-2022, 12:27 PM   #7

This unit currently comes standard with a 15k unit with the option of a second one.

Going to a 15K unit would likely get you 2-3 degrees cooler.

I would inquire about a second 13.5k unit.

RV sales persons are not to be trusted.

As a professional problem solver, always be careful with individual statements on the internet. Most of the time, there is a "the rest of the story".
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 12:49 PM   #8

Use a compressor type dehumidifier and a couple fans to circulate the air. That in combination with your ac will make a big difference. The one I've had good results with is an Ivation 14.7
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 01:28 PM   #9

Class C with 15K AC

We bought our '03 Minnie Winnie new and it came with the Coleman Mach 15 heat pump. (It is really 14.8K BTU.) It did a good job of keeping the coach in the 70 degree range in 100+ heat if we started cooling early in the day so the coach didn't get hot. If the coach got up in the 80's it would never cool down until late evening after the sun went down. Same for driving, we learned to start the generator each morning, turn on the coach AC and turn on the front chassis AC to high speed with recycle on to keep the outside hot air out and it worked quite well in the Utah heat (100+). The Ford E450 system isn't that loud, especially with the other road noise.

We keep the shades down on the sunny side of the coach and block off the front driving compartment when parked - Winnebago provided a curtain to do this instead of using a curtain to block just the windows off.

We wore out the first AC about three years ago and had a new one installed and it seems to cool even better than the old one - it has the newer coolant - same brand. Good luck finding the right solution, we traveled with our really furry dogs and keeping them cool was a priority for us.
Pete
Peat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 01:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
We bought our '03 Minnie Winnie new and it came with the Coleman Mach 15 heat pump. (It is really 14.8K BTU.) It did a good job of keeping the coach in the 70 degree range in 100+ heat if we started cooling early in the day so the coach didn't get hot. If the coach got up in the 80's it would never cool down until late evening after the sun went down. Same for driving, we learned to start the generator each morning, turn on the coach AC and turn on the front chassis AC to high speed with recycle on to keep the outside hot air out and it worked quite well in the Utah heat (100+). The Ford E450 system isn't that loud, especially with the other road noise.

We keep the shades down on the sunny side of the coach and block off the front driving compartment when parked - Winnebago provided a curtain to do this instead of using a curtain to block just the windows off.

We wore out the first AC about three years ago and had a new one installed and it seems to cool even better than the old one - it has the newer coolant - same brand. Good luck finding the right solution, we traveled with our really furry dogs and keeping them cool was a priority for us.
Pete

What brand of AC is yours?
Old 03-09-2022, 01:38 PM   #11

My sunseeker, same model as yours, came with the 15,000 heat pump and the artic package. I suspect the artic package helps on the cooling side a little. Prior to taking possession, I had a second 13,500 btu A/C added replacing the ceiling vent in the bedroom. A second breaker box and 30 Amp outside connection was installed to handle the 2nd AC. I use a 50 Amp adapter split to two 30 amp connections from the pedestal to feed both AC receptacles on my RV. I have not had many days where I needed to run the 2nd AC to stay cool. As a side benefit, when I had a problem with my primary A/C, I had the 2nd one to keep me relatively comfortable while waiting for the fix of the primary. One big source of heat coming into the RV was from my windows. I recently added window awnings for all my windows. It cost about $1500. It was money well spent. I feel much less heat coming into my RV as a result of getting direct sunlight off my windows. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
John 2019 SS 3010DSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:22 PM   #12

AC Brand

Quote:
Our original AC was a Coleman Mach 15 heat pump, from the Coleman Co., and we replaced it with the same brand and size, but the company is now Airxcel.

https://www.airxcel.com
Old 03-09-2022, 06:04 PM   #13

2nd Attempt AC

Quote:
This is the second attempt to answer what brand of AC. The original was a Coleman and the replacement was the same model by Airxcel which is the company that bought Coleman.
One thing I forgot to mention, when we are parked in the campground, I put a white vinyl cover over the front windshield and side door windows. This really makes a difference in the hot sun. It can be bought at most camping supply stores if you don't have one.

On the first attempt to answer, I included a web link for Airxcel, that must not be allowed since I received a message saying it had to be reviewed.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
This is the second attempt to answer what brand of AC. The original was a Coleman and the replacement was the same model by Airxcel which is the company that bought Coleman.
One thing I forgot to mention, when we are parked in the campground, I put a white vinyl cover over the front windshield and side door windows. This really makes a difference in the hot sun. It can be bought at most camping supply stores if you don't have one.

On the first attempt to answer, I included a web link for Airxcel, that must not be allowed since I received a message saying it had to be reviewed.

Thanks for your reply. I’ll check those ac’s out.
We have the windshield cover you’re talking about. That did help, but I wound up getting that shiny reflective material and cut out for the side windows and already had the windshield Sun screen we put in place too. Now practically no heat comes through. I also made the cut outs for behind the theater seats and kitchen window. I put heat film on all the living area windows, which is fine for most situations, but our July trip, we put the cutouts in right away. Our bedroom we have blackout material that’s secured with Velcro. Also have the blackout material in the shower skylight and bathroom. All other vents have the pillows in them. We try to do most of the cooking on the outdoor grill. Doesn’t take much to heat it back up when using propane stove!
I’ll talk to a service center about one of the responses I got about doing a second AC. I guess my thought was that if it goes in the bedroom, it would freeze that room out, and didn’t want to have to run more than one plug to electric.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:52 AM   #15
ARLO

Quote:
I have a Sunseeker 3010. With the one 13kw air conditioner, July temps can make it difficult to keep the motorhome cool without putting blackout shades over every window. I wanted to hear from anyone that either changed out to a 15kw, or had it as original install. Is that enough for hot, humid summer heat or would it still struggle to keep up? Also which models do you have?
We ordered our 2010 29' Flagstaff 829FKS with the 15,000. It does a good job most of the time. We have a rear bedroom that can be closed during the day to help the rest of the trailer cooler when the temp gets in the high 80's and above. mornings, night tine and evenings are usually not a problem.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:15 PM   #16

Class C AC

[QUOTE=carol108;2706953]Thanks for your reply. I’ll check those ac’s out.

One other thing that I've read about recently, in other forums, is painting the shower skylight gloss white - on the outside surface. There are new canned spray paint formulas that adhere to plastic. The skylight lets in a lot of heat and the RVer's that have done it say it works really well. The gloss white paint reflects most of the sun's heat and still provides a faint illumination inside. Our Winnie has a big shower skylight so I've bought the paint, just waiting to get my courage up to go on the roof.
Old 03-12-2022, 03:01 PM   #17

Our 2014 3010ds with Dometic 13.5 with heat pump always struggled to keep things cool in Midwest summer months. Switched to a Coleman 15,000 unit in 2018. We lost the heat pump but gained several degrees of cooling.
mve6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:15 PM   #18

Your unit is wired for 2 ACs so leave what you have and ADD a 15K with a heat pump! Stay cool and save propane. Sometimes we just have to spend a little to be comfy
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:29 PM   #19

We tinted the windows and keep the skylights closed and haven't had a problem.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:50 PM   #20

To answer the original question.
I have switched from 13.5 to 15. Our camper is in Galveston on a permanent site. It's a 22 footer.
Made a huge difference when it's 80.in the 90s at noon maybe 7 degree. Near 100 maybe a couple degrees, but recovery is much quicker after about 4.

If you like it cool like we do...
A couple years ago we went to Missouri in August, which is normally in the 80s, it was damn near a hundred every day. It was rough so I went to Walmart and bought a portable unit. Jackpot. Kept the camper nice and cold. 75 day 70 night. This was before the 15k upgrade. It saved the trip. Now I bring it if there is any possibility of hot days. The vent tube works well with camper windows. Took about 15 mins to set-up. It's much quieter as well.

I don't use when we are Galveston because the camper is under a roof and during the day we are mostly at the beach and don't mind a warmer camper. The 15k is plenty to keep it nice and cool at night even on the hottest days.

The couple hundred bucks for the 15 over the 13.5 is a no brainer IMO.
ScottW713 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner