Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2016, 04:20 PM   #1

$1600 stabilizer jacks worth it?

As an option, I can order stabilizer jacks on the MBS 2401 R, not leveling jack, at an outrageous costs. Are they worth it?
Aspenmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:25 AM   #2

I'm wondering the same thing. Are they electronic?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Hmnbrdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:34 AM   #3

I had electric stab. jacks on my Wildcat. I did enjoy pressing a button rather than stooping twice to operate the other style jacks. However, neither makes the RV really stable, but they're better than nothing.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #4

I have the LCI Ground Control 3.0 auto level on my 5er. Will never be without it again,,,,, but then I am an old guy that looks for easy now.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:02 AM   #5
Site Team

We recently traded in a MBS 2400W with the optional rear "stabilizer" jacks. In my opinion they are not worth the cost. They are located too far inward to do much stabilizing in my opinion. If I were buying a new MBS I would save the money.

Now if FR comes out with a true four corner leveling system, not just two rear stabilizers, that would be worth considering.

I suggest you check out the Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis and Solera forums for more info, and opinions, on this topic. Most of the MBS folks hang out in those two forums...
Old 05-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
Tinkerer and Putterer

I didn't like the cost for the upgrade either but I regretted not getting them after dealing with the added bounce caused by the greater overhang on my 3011. My solution? I'm cheap so I'm opting for a couple jack stands that I can boost up with leveling pads and then drop the frame down onto the stands by taking some air out of the bags.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunex-1522-22-..._dp_o_pC_S_ttl

I won't do it every time I camp but if I'm planning on staying for a while I'll put the stands out on the back end of the rig. At less than 200.00 it should go a long way to curing the bounce with a much lower chance of failure and less added weight going down the road

I will still have to level the old fashioned way with leveling blocks but there are trade offs for everything. Just as a side note, the leveling system might be limited to two points on the MBS for weight reasons or for a lack of good mounting points up front.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by October Caddis View Post
As an option, I can order stabilizer jacks on the MBS 2401 R, not leveling jack, at an outrageous costs. Are they worth it?
I'm not familiar with what kind of rig you have. On my Vlite, electric stabs came on it when I bought so they were not an option. If I'd have my druthers, I'd rather have a set of tall scissor jacks on each corner that I can extend/retract with a drill.

Just my .02.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I'm not familiar with what kind of rig you have. On my Vlite, electric stabs came on it when I bought so they were not an option. If I'd have my druthers, I'd rather have a set of tall scissor jacks on each corner that I can extend/retract with a drill.

Just my .02.
I'm with times on this one. I have power stabilizers fore and after and they are marginal at best. They are like an "A" where they mount with the tops of the A being too far inboard to be stable. Four individual scissors Jacks on the corner would be much more stable.
A lot would depend upon the style of stabilizer you are considering.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #9

Cedar, I am not contemplating anything; they are the only offering on stabilizer jacks or leveling jacks. Apparently, the MB chassis does not have the attaching points for these things. It is a delivery truck that was not designed for a motor home. It just happens that it is one of three choices the industry has for building a class C RV. I just can't see the value received for a $1600 purchase. I was hoping that some members would rave about them.
Aspenmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:34 PM   #10

If they are anything like my electric stabs, no rave here.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:42 PM   #11

I have the stabilizer jacks on our 24r, same as your model mbs. They definitely stop rocking when parked and we always put them down when back at the campsite for the night. Very convenient to have them powered for fast set up. I would purchase them again . The jacks on my 2015 are mounted a little further to the back than the newer models making it hard to compare. Hopefully someone with a 2016 r version can comment. 1600 is about the right price for that upgrade.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:56 PM   #12

2017 Sunseeker MBS2400WS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.M View Post
I have the stabilizer jacks on our 24r, same as your model MBS. They definitely stop rocking when parked and we always put them down when back at the campsite for the night. Very convenient to have them powered for fast set up. I would purchase them again . The jacks on my 2015 are mounted a little further to the back than the newer models making it hard to compare. Hopefully someone with a 2016 r version can comment. 1600 is about the right price for that upgrade.
When we ordered our Sunseeker, we ordered it pretty much loaded so to speak and had the rear stabilizers added. First off they are too far inward and close together to be used for leveling nor are they designed to lift the rear tires off the ground. But they do a fine job of taking the side to side sway caused by movement inside due to changes in rear spring loading.

Alhough Forest River does not offer the Bigfoot 4 point stabializer system on the MBS Sprinter, most likely due to weight concerns. Bigfoot does offer a complete system and also sells the front stabilizers for the MBS chassis along with the four point leveling controller.

If you do a search, you will find an article by a person who installed the front stabilizers in his driveway. It was a three day process for him

Considering the price of the four point automatic system for the MBS is almost $3900 plus installation from a Bigfoot dealer, $1600 is pretty reasonable for the two point manual system option.

www.bigfootleveler.com

Sherman

BTW, one thing I have noticed is that not even the stabilizers nor the springs will keep the new 2400W level when the full side slide out is extended. The weight of the slide out itself lets the motorhome list to the drivers left a few degrees. Due to this I am considering a pair of slide out jacks.

We have the luxury of having room and weight capacity available in our enclosed motorcycle transport trailer should I find a set that works.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:13 PM   #13

Something to consider: Your usage.

If you move about to different sites often, electric will save you more time. If you spend a week or two at sites, you will not be setting up as much.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:12 PM   #14

I have them on my 2016 2401S and I personally appreciate the stabilization they provide. If I'm slightly low on the rear they will help level but only slightly as they are not intended to function as leveling jacks. Some owners who have installed sumo springs think they are unnecessary with the sumos, but I don't share that opinion. The jacks do a much more thorough job of taking out the sway. On the other hand they are hefty and not having them would improve the cargo carrying capacity.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #15

Stablizer vs. leveling jacks

Should be an easy question for a dealer service department, sales people will sell you anything. My 5er had electric stabilizer jacks in the rear and landing gear in the front - still had to put planks under the tires to get level. The back stabilizers just barely touched and stopped.
New 5er has 4 leveling jacks, each has it's own drive motor. Love pushing one button and watch the gyrations to get level, even lifts the tires off the ground.
There is a difference between stabilizing and leveling. Save money and buy a high torque cordless drill/impact and a socket to match your scissor jacks.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. J. Schuler View Post
Should be an easy question for a dealer service department, sales people will sell you anything. My 5er had electric stabilizer jacks in the rear and landing gear in the front - still had to put planks under the tires to get level. The back stabilizers just barely touched and stopped.
New 5er has 4 leveling jacks, each has it's own drive motor. Love pushing one button and watch the gyrations to get level, even lifts the tires off the ground.
There is a difference between stabilizing and leveling. Save money and buy a high torque cordless drill/impact and a socket to match your scissor jacks.
I don't believe the motorhomes in question typically have scissor jacks, nevertheless thank you for your input.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #17

There is a difference between leveling and stabilizing jacks - individual drive motors and the weight they can support. Where jacks are located also matters for weight distribution on the frame. I had the wrong impression about Class A/C stabilizers/jacks and their ability to stabilize the vehicle.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:03 PM   #18

With our 2401R (2016), the rear stabilizers have been quite good. Maybe the R model makes better use of them than the W because the R extends more out the rear whereas the W extends more to the side and the stabilizers are towards the center of the chassis (side to side, that is). There is a significant difference in the amount of bounce and wiggle between having them down and not. Also, they can raise the rear of the unit up to about "three inches" according to the leveling guides that we installed (those are amazingly helpful). In other words, the level may indicate you need plus two inches on the rear - no problem, this will take care of it. Of course, they won't help you at all if you need +2" on the front. In that case, use leveling blocks and then just put the stabilizers down until they hit ground to, well, stabilize.

Even with the stabilizers being in the rear, there is not that much bounce in the front of the unit when moving around because the front springs are quite firm. However, there is a noticeable wiggle when someone comes in or out the front door. The amount of this might be variable by a person's weigh.

Soon we will be on a trip where we will be parked in one site for four days. I'm thinking of taking out the Mercedes-Benz bottle jack (below the floor on the passenger side on the MBS units) and placing it under the frame on the passenger side to see if this helps kill off that little movement.

A number of people have suggested getting the 4-way leveling jacks on the MBS units. However, there is already a limited cargo capacity, so adding that additional weight is really not in the cards unless MB increases the capacity of its Sprinter chassis. Until then, leveling blocks will be needed.

Tags
jacks