Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2019, 01:39 PM   #1

20 lb. propane tank carry

we have a sunseeker 2290S and want to carry a 20 lb. propane tank for our propane fireplace and also use it for a backup for our on board propane (we have had an extend a stay put in but it is on the wrong side for fireplace without using mega feet of extension hose) -
want to put it on the back bumper - has anyone done this? any ideas or recommendations?
janice parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:25 PM   #2

Putting it on the back bumper scares me, if someone rear ends you the propane bottle could rupture. I would carry it in a basement compartment or in your doorway if it is lower than the floor of your RV.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #3
Professional Curmudgeon

I haven't done it, but I think it's the best place to carry it. If you store it in any kind of enclosed compartment, leakage can result accumulation of gas and resulting problems. Stored out in the open will allow any leaks to dissipate into the atmosphere just like the tongue storage on a TT. Also, many tunnels require you to pull over and verify the cylinder valve is closed. Much easier to reach than inside a basement or similar.
It wouldn't be difficult to obtain the parts used to mount one or two cylinders on TT's and adapt to your use.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:22 PM   #4

use your extenda-stay and some hose - much easier and nothing extra to carry... your onboard tank can hold a lot of propane, and there are plenty of places to refill it, or even propane companies who will come and refill it where you are parked, just like they do at your home.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #5

Basement is the best idea if you don't have front tank mounts. Fifth Wheels all have them in the front enclosed basement so putting them inside is not an issue. From there you could even run your gas lines to your fireplace. Secure the tank well in a bracket made for tanks. For me I would run the gas line down and under then back up, unless you can easily run it and have access to in if you ever need to check it or service the line. I assume you are talking about a separate fireplace gas supply from the rest of your rig. Be sure it has it's own regulator. As others have commented you want all your gas tanks accessible to verify and have inspected they are turned off.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Basement is the best idea if you don't have front tank mounts. Fifth Wheels all have them in the front enclosed basement so putting them inside is not an issue.
I WOULD NOT store LP tanks in an ENCLOSED BASEMENT.

Our former FR Wildcat 5th wheel had the tanks stored up front in compartments on each side in front of the basement. The LP compartment was open at the floor to allow any fumes to escape below and out into the atmosphere.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:04 PM   #7

NOT TRUE!

"Basement is the best idea if you don't have front tank mounts. Fifth Wheels all have them in the front enclosed basement so putting them inside is not an issue."
5er's have them mounted in what looks like the basement but it is actually behind a separate door with an open bottom so if there is a leak it will dissipate. I wouldn't store in any where there isn't an outlet lower than the tank so the gas can dissipate to the outside. If it can't you are creating a BOMB!
43 feet
CoMaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:01 PM   #8

just saying

LP tanks in a closed area is bad idea. They are designed to vent when in hot weather. the pressure rises and the Gas expands and increases the pressure in the tank. so to prevent it from exploding there is a vent valve! Look at any of your tanks that are on what ever you have. it is in an open area not a basement!
Old 01-14-2019, 09:25 PM   #9
jkoenig24

National Fire Codes MANDATE that propane be in an UNLOCKED and VENTED compartment. Should there be a problem, firefighters MUST have quick access so that if possible (i.e. not already on fire), they have a chance of removing DOT propane tanks. Said tanks are also required to be REMOVED from an RV before refilling them (this does NOT apply to permanently installed ASME cylinders).
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:42 AM   #10

Oh My..... let me add my 2 cents.. i would never carry the bottles in the enclosed compartment. .you are asking for trouble.

I carry 2 20 lb tanks on the back bumper using this bracket.

https://www.amazon.ca/Flame-King-KT2.../dp/B00IZCNOVC

Think of it this way propane powered cars have the tanks in the rear and they are deemed safe. Not to mention puttingh te tanks on the back may stop those tailgaters

Tags
propane, tank