Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2015, 08:54 AM   #1

2003 Forest River Sunseeker 289ODS

I am looking at purchasing the above motor home. Have looked at many, but keep going back to the Forest River...Going to go look at the one listed in title, has arctic pak, 514 hours on the generator, 2 slides, newer tires, and 29,623, miles...on any purchase my concerns lean towards the roof and the slides. Of course I would check chassis, rubber gaskets, and motor etc. Anything else I should be on the lookout for....totally new to this, have never owned a motor home. But have driven my friends and families motor homes for years. Also, we will need to purchase a vehicle for towing. I am not sure if I am going to get the transmission pak for my Rav4 4WD, so any ideas on a vehicle for towing for a big guy 6'4", wife 5'6" and 3 small Westies...we are planning on traveling out West and may spend some of our winter months in Florida, out of the crazy NE Ohio weather. With that being said, any help would be appreciated. My wife and I have read many threads on the Forest River Forum and you all seem to be a fun and helpful group. Thanks...Hunter and SweetC
The Mustard Seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #2

Is this a Ford or Chevy? Different towing depending on the make and model. Anyway, we tow a 2008 Colorado 4 down, and love the room and the ability to carry bikes and stuff in the truck bed. Mine is a 2008 3100SS on a Ford V10. Hope you get more info.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #3

2003 Forest River Sunseeker

Thank you for your reply...Here is the info, plus we are also going to look at travel trailer....We are just not sure yet...

2003 Forest River Sunseeker 2890DS, This 2003 Forest River Sunseeker is a nice 2 slide 8 person class c motorhome with newer tires. The unit has less than 30,000 miles on it. AwningElectric Entry StepBack Up CameraLadderHitch Blue OxSpare TireStabilizer JacksOutside Storage, Back Up MonitorAM/FM/CD/Auxiliary Input/Radio Cruise Control Drivers Door, MicrowaveOvenStoveRefrigerator/FreezerDouble Basin Sink, Queen BedLarge Wall Storage Unit, Sofa SleeperTV AntennaSurround SoundEntertainment Center Booth Dinette/SleeperStorage Over DinetteStorage Over SofaFront Overhead Bunk, VanityMedicine CabinetPower VentToiletSkylightShower, Air Conditioning
Ducted Heat
Auxiliary Battery
Onan MicroQuiet 4000 Generator 514 hrs
6 Gallon Water Heater
Ford Chassis E-450
Arctic Pack
Old 03-05-2015, 09:35 AM   #4

2003 Forest River Sunseeker Thank you for your reply...Here is the info, plus we are also going to look at travel trailer....We are just not sure yet...

2003 Forest River Sunseeker 2890DS, This 2003 Forest River Sunseeker is a nice 2 slide 8 person class c motorhome with newer tires. The unit has less than 30,000 miles on it. AwningElectric Entry StepBack Up CameraLadderHitch Blue OxSpare TireStabilizer JacksOutside Storage, Back Up MonitorAM/FM/CD/Auxiliary Input/Radio Cruise Control Drivers Door, MicrowaveOvenStoveRefrigerator/FreezerDouble Basin Sink, Queen BedLarge Wall Storage Unit, Sofa SleeperTV AntennaSurround SoundEntertainment Center Booth Dinette/SleeperStorage Over DinetteStorage Over SofaFront Overhead Bunk, VanityMedicine CabinetPower VentToiletSkylightShower, Air Conditioning
Ducted Heat
Auxiliary Battery
Onan MicroQuiet 4000 Generator 514 hrs
6 Gallon Water Heater
Ford Chassis E-450
Arctic Pack

Thanks for being patient....learning to navigate the Forest River Forum...
Old 03-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #5

It sounds good. I would check for any water damage and the generator oil color and filter. Besides that I would go for it. I went MH after owning 2 TT and a Popup. The reason is it is less effort than the others. Pull in and if there is bad weather jut put the slides out and wait for the weather to improve. The travelers can use the bath without me stopping at some dirty gas station, I can have a sandwich or soda without stopping. We have electric power from the generator so the grandkids can watch TV as we travel. It is just more convenient than the TT's were. HOWEVER, with that said it costs more, uses more fuel, is more costly to insure and has to be used and not just set for weeks and months at a time. Enjoy
Old 03-05-2015, 10:16 AM   #6

Thank you. I agree about MH over TT. As we are retiring, lets face it, we want things easier, well at least I do. Will definitely check for water damage and the generator oil color and filter....Appreciate your input....
Old 03-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #7

Check the tires closely. If they are Michelins, you may be lucky. Michelin recalled the tires used in Class C's that were made around 2010. If they are Michelins, go to their website and check the recall date code. If you are lucky you get a new set of tires free. Don't forget the spare, it would be replaced, too.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #8

Do RV Dealers offer RV Fax, similar to Car Fax? Just curious....
Old 03-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #9

I would think the VIN for the chassis might be available on CarFax.
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #10

Yea I forgot about the tire thing, I just put new ones on mine last October after 7 years, if the tires are 7 years old they should be replaced. now if they are a couple of years old and are Michelins and have cracks in them Michelin says they are ok to run, but that is up to you.

Tags
forest river, sunseeker