RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-31-2020, 01:04 PM   #1

Lightbulb 2006 Sunseeker 3100ss Battery interconnect relay

Hello!

I am a new owner of a 2006 Sunseeker 3100ss. I have most of the systems back to working condition, however the battery tie is giving me a hard time.

Shore power does not charge the chassis battery and the alternator does not charge the coach batter. However, I am able to connect the two momentarily with the emergency start switch on the dash. This switch does activate the relay and I do get a full 13.5+ volts on the chassis when plugged into shore power for the duration of the switch being held down.

So, this makes me wonder if only part of the BIRD relay is bad? Or is there a fuse somewhere that I am missing?

The solenoid for the battery interconnect is old, but seems to be working. (At least when I press the emergency switch.) And, I am getting chassis battery voltage on one side of it, and coach voltage on the other side. It just seems the automatic part of the relay is not working.

Any ideas what to test or look for?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201031_162931046.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	242284   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201031_172917481.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	365.4 KB
ID:	242285   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201031_150604561.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	242286  
HiUpDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:51 PM   #2

The connecting of the chassis and coach batteries together for cross charging is via the circuitry within the B.I.R.D and with everything else working including the emergency start function it would seem that the B.I.R.D is bad. Now, the batteries are sampled within the B.I.R.D and it will cutoff/connect charging when those are attained. I don't know what the cut in/cut out voltage limits are.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
The connecting of the chassis and coach batteries together for cross charging is via the circuitry within the B.I.R.D and with everything else working including the emergency start function it would seem that the B.I.R.D is bad. Now, the batteries are sampled within the B.I.R.D and it will cutoff/connect charging when those are attained. I don't know what the cut in/cut out voltage limits are.
Currently, I'm connected to shore power.

Chassis Battery: 12.4v
Coach Battery: 13.4v
Input to the B.I.R.D. from the coach battery: 13.4v

I am unclear on how the BIRD receives voltage from the chassis battery though?
Old 10-31-2020, 02:23 PM   #4

Via the ignition input. Ignition switch ON which applies chassis battery volts to the B.I.R.D.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Via the ignition input. Ignition switch ON which applies chassis battery volts to the B.I.R.D.
Thanks, that makes sense! When I turn the ignition to on, it shows 12.1v

I still don't know why its not automatically connecting the two systems though.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:19 PM   #6

This may help with understanding operation

https://www.intellitec.com/wp-conten...-00362-100.pdf
Old 11-01-2020, 10:02 AM   #7

I have a 2007 Sunseeker 3100SS (E450) that is probably identical to yours, and these are some tips based on my learning experience. If the coach battery is not charging, make sure the little circuit breaker hanging on the outside of the battery box (just to the left of your posted box view) has not tripped (push the little reset switch). When generator or shore power is first turned on, the coach battery starts charging but the chassis battery doesnít react for 2.5 minutes, and then starts charging, so give it a little time. Operation and troubleshooting is all explained in the service manual for the BIRD unit that can be found at

If necessary, replacements are available online for $55-$60.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I have a 2007 Sunseeker 3100SS (E450) that is probably identical to yours, and these are some tips based on my learning experience. If the coach battery is not charging, make sure the little circuit breaker hanging on the outside of the battery box (just to the left of your posted box view) has not tripped (push the little reset switch). When generator or shore power is first turned on, the coach battery starts charging but the chassis battery doesnít react for 2.5 minutes, and then starts charging, so give it a little time. Operation and troubleshooting is all explained in the service manual for the BIRD unit that can be found at

If necessary, replacements are available online for $55-$60.
Thanks! I actually have a 5amp fuse in that location that seems to control the relay. I would think there would be a much bigger fuse somewhere along the line for the actual battery tie.

But because it works when I manually press the emergency switch, or jumper the battery/relay together, then I suspect it probably is an issue with the bird. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what they say, but will probably end up ordering a new one. It's probably a good part to have on hand anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201031_202732914.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	242322  
Old 11-01-2020, 12:58 PM   #9

Had a similar problem a few years back with my 2008 sunseeker. RV service had me start and run the generator. Once it was evident that gennie was supplying power to the coach turned gennie off and plugged in shore power Everything was working properly after that. Apparently there is a solenoid that have tripped causing my issue
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:30 PM   #10

HiUpDown, Since your Sunseeker is probably identical to mine, I just want to pass along some hard learned tips regarding issues we found, that may save you some grief if you experience them. If our (dual deep cycle) coach batteries fall below a certain voltage (around 11v), the generator cranks and starts just fine, but it will not generate anything. It appears that the lower voltage is insufficient to initially flash the field. We then start the vehicle engine and charge the coach batteries for a few minutes to raise the voltage, and then we restart the generator and it works.

Another issue is that if we start the generator with the air conditioner turned on, the high voltage demand before the generator reaches governed speed trips a protective circuit that cuts the field. After turning off the AC and waiting a few minutes for the circuit to automatically reset, the generator can be restarted and works.

If the refrigerator will not light on propane (check light comes on) after sitting in storage, we disassemble the outside burner area enough to clean out any rust or condensation that has fallen down the flue to interfere with gas flow or thermocouple operation.

I leave shore power plugged in all winter to keep the batteries charged, and found that my converter was charging the coach batteries at an excessive 14.2 volts, resulting in having to pull them in the spring to add water, and clean corrosion caused by excessive gas venting. It also shortened battery life. I now put my shore line on a timer that limits charging to an hour per day. Hope this info helps.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #11

Underdog,
What 30 amp timer do you use and where did you buy it.?
Old 11-02-2020, 11:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubelle View Post
Underdog,
What 30 amp timer do you use and where did you buy it.?
My home shore line is only 20 amp and used only for charging the batteries. I just use a cheap 15 amp Intermatic indoor timer from Ace Hardware.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
My home shore line is only 20 amp and used only for charging the batteries. I just use a cheap 15 amp Intermatic indoor timer from Ace Hardware.

Okay, thanks
Old 11-02-2020, 10:10 PM   #14

Battery ground connection

You might take a look at your battery grounding connection on the back bulkhead with the white wires. I pulled mine off while busting rust in the compartment there and found that the factory did not strip the paint off the connection point prior to fastening the ring lug and bolting it down with the star washer. All the connection mine had was a few places where the star washer points dug through the paint. I still wonder why there weren't any problems with the 12v power.

I have a 2006 as well.
Enjoy your rig.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3100ss, battery, sunseeker