Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #1

2010 Sunseeker 3100SS and winter camping

We have had our 2010 Sunseeker 3100SS for 2 years. This year we are thinking about doing some winter camping (Chicago area).

Our Sunseeker has an Arctic Package and we don't quite understand what this does. Does this mean that we can fill our tanks with "water" and camp in freezing temps with the Arctic Package on? Does this also heat the holding tanks (both black and gray) or just the fresh water tank?

We would be more interested in using the water for the bathroom facilities than kitchen.

Can someone on this site please enlighten us?

Thanks,

Shirley
shirleyj62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:21 AM   #2

First, the Sunseekers have enclosed undersides and heat ducts located at critical points like the water pump and dump valves. So running the furnace provides heat to the water system. Second, the Arctic package is a heat pad attached to the bottom of each of the tanks (fresh, black, and gray) . This keeps the water in the tanks from freezing. So you are good to go for winter camping.

Both the furnace and the heat pads use battery power pretty quickly, so if you are not at a site with shore power, be prepared to run the generator some for recharging. Also note that running the furnace is key to circulating warm air underneath to the plumbing. Some people use space heaters instead of the furnace. This will not get the warm air where needed on the plumbing. If you are at a site with water hookups, the water hose is vulnerable to freezing. Use a heat tape on it like they sell for home water lines. Camping World now has a water hose with built in heat tape around it. Or fill the tank, disconnect and drain the hose and let the arctic package do its thing.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #3

I would look to see if yours has an enclosed underbelly before I just assumed. Ours does not. I don't know what year they started doing it. We have camped in below freezing weather, the actual water lines are all inside the rv, but the tanks and valves are not. We do have the artic pack to keep the tanks warm but I do dump antifreeze in them just to make sure the valves don't freeze. My only concern is that that 2 low point drains are completely exposed. I was worried they would freeze and crack. Last year I just insulated them and they were fine, but this year I think I am adding some heat tape.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3100ss