Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #1

2012 Ford E450 Air-lift bag helper

Looking to find out if anyone with same layout has air bags installed. 2nd owner of a Ford E450 model 2300. RV had approx. 7000 miles when purchased. Noticed on shakedown local trip for couple nights that there was a lean. Confirmed during 9000 mile trip that right side rear is approx. 1.5" lower than left rear .It usually takes a 2x10 under right rear duals to level at campsites. Does not matter if loaded or unloaded except with full fuel tank it seems to drag more on parking lot entrances. On my layout the dual batteries, kitchen plus appliances, LP tank, queen bed and fresh water tank are located on right. I replaced Dinette with 2 Lambright Recliners (lighter load). No slides and only heavy items on drivers side is Generator and holding tanks that are never more than 1/2 full. Would have figured lean out before trip but with slope on driveway it sits perfectly level
I have not weighed to confirm right side is heavier and springs look good to my untrained eye. I researched this forum and looks like Forest River started installing the Firestone system on newer RV's. Would like to hear opinions before I spend money at shop or tackle install myself.
Topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #2

I would verify that it does not have the air bags on it and one is deflated and the other over filled? Just saying !
Old 06-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. There are not any added suspension components. I was hoping to find someone who has added or have them on their 2300.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:28 PM   #4

We have a 2013, 2300 with the Chevy 4500 and have removed the dinette as well and the passenger side does lean. But this was noticed before the dinnette was taken out. So I figured that there was just more weight on that side. We also have the Firestone air bag system and I had to fill the passenger side to almost 100 psi to balance. Our generator is on the driver's side of the MH
lexstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:21 AM   #5
Chief tinkerer

Sorry, I don't have that model, but reading through the comments, maybe get a set of helper springs or "overload" I believe they are also called.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #6

So I weighed RV and here is the results in pounds.
Total Weight- 10340 (subtracting drivers weight)
Front Axle- 3600
Front Left- 1740 (includes 220 for driver)
Front Right- 1860

Rear Axle- 6960 (full tank fuel)
Left Rear- 3360
Right Rear- 3600

No water in any of the tanks, maybe 40 lbs additional gear spread throughout.

From Mfg stickers Dry Weight 9644
GVWR 12500
GAWR Front 4600
GAWR Rear 8500

So what does this all boil down too? Right side front and rear are heavier but not overloaded. Next step I'll get some accurate measurements on level ground. Last talk with Firestone and decide on drill or no drill install. If anybody has experience with an install I'll gladly listen.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:50 AM   #7

Well I was corrected by DW about the level. She said it was level before we took the dinette out, so it is a balance thing.
lexstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:54 PM   #8

Thanks for reply. It was not level before I removed the dinette. Did not weigh the old dinette but the combined weight of the Lambright recliners are approx. 175 lbs. I think when I make my measurements I'll try it fully loaded with tanks almost full, 1/2 full and empty for curiosity sake. Might go talk to a spring shop if I can find one near Volusia County, Fl.

Tags
2012, ford