Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2015, 01:30 PM   #1

Angry 2015 Forrester 3171DS

I don't even know where to begin. My husband and I just bought the new class C above and even before the first use, the front slide seal had to be replaced. The dealer corrected the issue but as we were in Florida it came off again and my husband corrected it enough for the trip. I noticed when we were on the road the entrance door seemed to also not be sealed as the air from outside was loudly whipping into the cabin. When we finally got to our destination I noticed I could actually see light from outside the RV around the entire door and realized that is why it was so noisy. We also realized the dinette was not placed correctly as there is a cutout for the passenger seat to recline in which you cannot recline because it is not placed or I should say built correctly. We returned from our trip the end of April ( we literally bought it in March) and it has been at the dealer since. We just received a call (after numerous messages asking about our RV ) and they proceeded to tell us our slide was cocked or out of alignment, our whole dinette was out of alignment and the entrance door was not sealed right because the opening was made too large for the door. The dealer said they would call back after speaking with the warranty person but as faR as I or my husband can see, its not a warranty issue as it is a manufactured issue.We are at loss as to what we should do. We have deposits on parks we were going to stay during the summer and especially during the Fourth of July week we made plans to see my son in South Carolina. Is there a lemon law for RV's?
Fisherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:51 PM   #2

Sorry you are having issues with your new RV. Some units seem to have more probs than others but I have seen both issues, the slide and openings around the door posted here before. FR is pretty good at fixing such major issues but it usually is best done back at the factory in Elkhart, IN. Many dealers don't have the expertise or interest dealing with such complex issues. If you search the forum you should be able to find posts from those people who took their units back to the factory for repairs of this nature.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:54 AM   #3

I think my wife and me looked at this 3171 in NJ show

My wife and i went to NJ Rv show Jan 17 . We both loved the 3171 at the show, as we looked at unit we noticed the dinette cut-out was wrong could not recline pass seat. We spoke to Paul Genovese a factory rep from Forest River who was at show to help with any question. We brought this to his attention and stated it was placed wrong, that dinette was for another model used behind drivers seat location. He did call someone and leave message about problem.The rep from the dealer was also aware of issue , hope it was not unit we saw, hope you get unit repaired.
We pick up our 2016 3171 this thur, i have a 15 page checklist that me and wife will go thru before giving rest of deposit
debken3171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #4

My wife just commented about the recline issue on our new 2016 3171. Same issue here. I was able to recline in a different coach. I think I know the difference... The model with an outdoor TV shifts the dinette away from the wall by at least 6" to accommodate the tv in the wall. I didn't order the TV of course and now I have the same situation as you. I am extremely frustrated about this too. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1433165199.247046.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	78693
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:08 PM   #5

To be honest, I am not as upset about the dinette as I am about the slide. We were told the dinette would take about a couple of hours to correct(not sure about that one) but our dealer(camping world, Lakewood, nj) is telling us they are still trying to get a hold of the warranty department. We really don't trust them to do the work and feel, yes, ATVer, it should go back to the factory, but who pays for that?! Who reimburses us for the payments we are making for a RV we can't use and also the reservations we have made for the months ahead? I would even consider a loaner but not having anything for my summer plans along with knowing this is a brand new RV, is and has been very stressful and frustrating.
Fisherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
Commercial Member

The dinette unfortunately is a product of the outside TV option. That spaces the dinette towards the center of the unit. I believe what happened is that when the outside TV option is not taken, the same dinette was installed which puts it too close to the wall.

I'd have to see a picture of the slide seal to see what the issue is. If its a vertical, then its probably just missing a bottom stop/screw to keep it from dropping.

1. I would wonder why they assume the slide is cocked?
2. Dinette, I explained. Nothing to cause a trip to end.
3. The door thing does not sound quite right. Normally those doors can be adjusted.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #7

[QUOTE=steverkemp;880035]My wife just commented about the recline issue on our new 2016 3171. Same issue here. I was able to recline in a different coach. I think I know the difference... The model with an outdoor TV shifts the dinette away from the wall by at least 6" to accommodate the tv in the wall. I didn't order the TV of course and now I have the same situation as you. I am extremely frustrated about this too.

Steve, how's your new RV working out, now that you have had it for a week? How long did the walk thru take? When ours arrives, we are going to camp in a local RV park to do the shake down. Just happens it is only one block from the Camping World we ordered from.
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherm View Post
To be honest, I am not as upset about the dinette as I am about the slide. We were told the dinette would take about a couple of hours to correct(not sure about that one) but our dealer(camping world, Lakewood, nj) is telling us they are still trying to get a hold of the warranty department. We really don't trust them to do the work and feel, yes, ATVer, it should go back to the factory, but who pays for that?! Who reimburses us for the payments we are making for a RV we can't use and also the reservations we have made for the months ahead? I would even consider a loaner but not having anything for my summer plans along with knowing this is a brand new RV, is and has been very stressful and frustrating.
Unless the repairs are something a dealer can't do I do not think FR would cover the extra costs to take it back to the factory. Those that did that seem to have done it on their own dime and coupled it with a trip to the midwest.
I can understand your frustration because it's a new Unit but the issues don't seem to be enough to prevent it's use for the summer and get it fixed offseason. You could put a little foam weather strip in the door to reduce the noise and air leakage. Enlarging the cutout for the seat back while still leaving enough support for the cushion may be challenging.
Even with the cutout it doesn't help that much. I ended up buying a 3120 but was considering the 3170 and would have just removed the dinette seat on that side and replaced it with two dinette chairs. My unit had the couch on that side but it too restricted front seat travel so I made up a slide mechanism so I can move the couch back about 8" to allow for full adjustment and reclining of the passenger seat while traveling. DW said that was her favorite of all the mods I did to the RV.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #9

I believe there is enough strength to sustain cutting back even more. I think 3.5 inches would do it. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1433260428.200454.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	78836
A piece of angle iron could be added for extra strength.

Brian, is this something FR has a solution for? Not sure if this an engineering or mfg issue but considering the cutout for reclining is based on the option of a TV it should either be documented as such or fixed. That's my 2c...
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverkemp View Post
I believe there is enough strength to sustain cutting back even more. I think 3.5 inches would do it. Attachment 78836
A piece of angle iron could be added for extra strength.

Brian, is this something FR has a solution for? Not sure if this an engineering or mfg issue but considering the cutout for reclining is based on the option of a TV it should either be documented as such or fixed. That's my 2c...

Picture shows it better and I see you could cut it back some. FR probably should make all of the backs this way so it would work with or without the TV option.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Already done. Trying to find out fix for existing.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Already done. Trying to find out fix for existing.
My 3171DS with an outside TV should be showing up the end of the month. Will it have a problem with the passenger seat reclining? Thx, Ben
Old 06-02-2015, 03:33 PM   #13
Commercial Member

No.

A. it has been fixed on all.
B. it was never an issue with the outside TV...only without.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #14
Commercial Member

No.

A. it has been fixed on all.
B. it was never an issue with the outside TV...only without.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:57 AM   #15

Brian, I have the same issue (no outside TV). Hope there is a solution w/o going to the dealer (again). Only owned the coach 5 months and it's been at the dealer for half of that (mostly problems they caused). Anxiously awaiting resolution...
BruinsFan3171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #16

[QUOTE=steverkemp;880035]My wife just commented about the recline issue on our new 2016 3171. Same issue here. I was able to recline in a different coach. I think I know the difference... The model with an outdoor TV shifts the dinette away from the wall by at least 6" to accommodate the tv in the wall. I didn't order the TV of course and now I have the same situation as you. I am extremely frustrated about this too.

Steve, I just found out they put my one swivel seat we ordered for the drivers side was put on the passengers side. Our unit is scheduled to ship any day. How is that passenger swivel seat working out? Should I keep it?
Old 06-03-2015, 02:41 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Rep just called me to switch it back to Driver...so if it hasn't shipped, they will be correcting that in the AM.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Rep just called me to switch it back to Driver...so if it hasn't shipped, they will be correcting that in the AM.
Thanx Brian. I have been emailing back and forth with the rep. Our original emails show it was suppose to be the drivers side the whole time. I just got an email back from him saying you may leave the passenger swivel in and just add the drivers swivel as in our original order.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Don't yell at me if its not. I told the plant if it takes too long to take out, leave it but we did not feel it was right to charge for both in any event. If its easy, they will pull the passenger and install the driver swivel.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Don't yell at me if its not. I told the plant if it takes too long to take out, leave it but we did not feel it was right to charge for both in any event. If its easy, they will pull the passenger and install the driver swivel.
If they leave it in, it would make my day. Also, my rep said they were waiting on the wood grain dash before shipping at this point. Thx Brian