Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2016, 12:39 AM   #1

2016 2250LE projects

Since we picked up our new 2250LE late last fall, I've been busy with various projects. The latest one was the addition of a meter and moving the slide switch from the wall next to the slide to the convenience panel.

A position was provided for the slide switch, why they put a dedicated switch panel elsewhere is beyond me. In the process, I moved the slide control box so it was more accessible & visible in the event troubleshooting was needed.

There were three empty switch spots in our panel; I filled all three:

Yes, it does look odd that the meter is sideways, but I mounted it that way for two reasons: One, I could cover the existing nomenclature (Drivers side light?) and it took less cutting to match the meter size. Two, the center is mounted above the dinette seat, so to access it, I stand to the side of the seat. Looking at the center, the meter faces me...

We do not have an arctic pac, so that position was filled with a switch for the meter. I added an additional push button just below the switch for times when I want to check the voltage but not leave it on. (Yea, I could have done the same with just the switch....) I'll add new labels to describe the correct function and to cover the text "Arctic Pac".

The slide switch was smaller than the cutout in the panel, so I cut a hole in the blank-out panel. The meter + is wired into the slide power, which is routed to the fuse panel in the step well. Turning off the house power does not turn off power to the slide, and subsequently, the meter.

Project complete.

I'll report on other projects as I feel inclined.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #2

Great idea on the voltmeter.
As for the slideout switch, I like to watch it when it opens up fully and help the mattress when I close it so having the switch in it's factory spot is ok with me.

I have done a ton to my 2016 in 4 short months.
Still more to go.
I have 2 sets of folding shelf brackets and a magazine rack to install right now.
Deciding on locations.
I have a few threads on here with my upgrades.
The "Lounge" and the motorcycle rack were the biggies.
Many are in the Forester section as I have a 2251- same unit.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:46 PM   #3

Good point on the slide switch position. In the 2250, the panel is on the other side of the wardrobe - so about 3 feet away. We'll find out if this is a problem. I could wire a second switch in parallel in the original position if need be.

I've been browsing the Forester section too - lots and lots of good threads on both sections.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:04 AM   #4

dinette OUT & recliners in, SOOOOOON !
Old 01-31-2016, 11:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman53 View Post
dinette OUT & recliners in, SOOOOOON !
You will luv it.
We do- get comments all the time.
Most think it was built that way.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:58 AM   #6

We decided on a 10/24 inch folding shelf as a black splash for the cooktop.
Diamond plate alum for the heat.
Will work as a backsplash when down, a utility shelf when up- capable of holding hot pans.
I will post up when finished.
Also a 1/4 circle folding shelf next to the switch panel for electronics- phones, remotes etc. I put a 110 outlet directly below to plug in chargers.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:52 PM   #7

I like the idea of a quarter circle shelf in that location! I might add something to that effect as well.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
We decided on a 10/24 inch folding shelf as a black splash for the cooktop.
Diamond plate alum for the heat.
Will work as a backsplash when down, a utility shelf when up- capable of holding hot pans.
I will post up when finished.
Also a 1/4 circle folding shelf next to the switch panel for electronics- phones, remotes etc. I put a 110 outlet directly below to plug in chargers.
let's see some pics
Old 07-22-2016, 11:03 PM   #9

More projects complete, and lots in the plans. The TV project is low priority, but it'll get done...

Here's the latest:
Shelves in the bedroom for glasses/cell/clock/water bottle, etc:

(Right side) Wardrobe shelf replacement for the lame plastic standards and shelves that were cut too narrow - they would fall out of the sub-par standards - the whole thing needed corrected.

(Left side) We needed a better setup to store folded clothes, so I added a shelf and built two 10" high by 11" wide by 22" deep drawers from 3/16" plywood and the plywood from the drawers I removed from under the dinette seats. I used the pulls from the doors removed from the entertainment center:

More projects: Shoe pockets for flip flops, etc, and the grab handle removed from the top of the entertainment center - it was intended for people to help hoist themselves up into the tiny bunks on either side of the TV:

Clock built by my uncle who passed in late 2000 - we've had that clock in every RV since then:

Current overhead view - The memory foam mattress was used twice on our last trip:

The second trip in our new Sunseeker - 1450 miles over three days:
Old 07-22-2016, 11:54 PM   #10

I mentioned that I'd removed the drawers under the dinette seats - while these are a great idea, there is a lot of wasted spaced under those seats. I removed the drawers, then installed hinges on the bottom of the drawer faces and used the latch in its original location:

The base plywood was screwed down, so it was easy to remove. There was a brace running the length in the center of the opening, in addition to the one running across the width. I removed the center brace and cut the plywood to fit the opening with a little room to spare. I then drilled two holes for finger holes.

Access is easy; remove the back cushion, pop the bottom cushion over the front, and open the plywood:

While we like the vinyl floors, we still like having carpet to keep the tootsies warm as we are usually barefooted (right along with fully bare at times); we found these carpets at Lowes. We found they were slick on the floor so adding shelf grip padding under the carpets worked like a charm:
Old 07-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #11

Wow, really nice mods. How did you attach the various stuff to the walls?

I guess I was lucky with my 2250 as the wardrobe shelves and hardware were excellent. The dinette didn't have the doors on the ends, we had to lift the seat lke you do now. Lots of room under there.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:03 AM   #12

The slides for the drawers are mounted on plywood that runs the full depth of the cabinet; they are attached to the framing at the front and back. Some screws in the middle don't have framing members, but they are generally to pull the wall panel up to the object. In the cabinet with the drawers, the top shelf on top has 6 screws - four are attached to framing members, the two in the center are installed sufficient to pull the plywood to the shelf.
On the right hand cabinet, the standards were in the same location as where I put the new ones - there are framing members behind the plywood.

For the corner shelves in the bedroom slide - the back screw on the sides connects with the framing, where the other three seemed to get a good bite, but weren't as solid as the side corners. I'm not sure what is behind the ply, but perhaps there's another layer of thicker plywood.

Framing members can be easy to find, or very difficult. Typically I look for existing staples or I'll push on the plywood on an interior panel to see where it flexes. Sometimes tapping on the panel will reveal the framing.

From your description, it sounds like FR "improved" some areas such as the drawers under the dinette seats (convenient? yes, but not near as good a use of possible storage space) Your shelves sound like they were better constructed as well.

I started on installing two Maxx-air powered fans today too... both are in the holes and have been sealed on the roof, all that is left is to wire them and install the trim.

Oh, an I have a "behind the driver's seat" project underway too - it holds the trash can and a snack box. Pics soon!
Old 07-25-2016, 08:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemc View Post
More projects complete, and lots in the plans. The TV project is low priority, but it'll get done...

Here's the latest:
Shelves in the bedroom for glasses/cell/clock/water bottle, etc:

I like the shelves.
Actually one of my next projects.
Your wood working skills are MUCH better than mine.

Nice job on everything.
My wife now wants pantry pull out drawers also.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #14

I am exhausted just reading about all that you have done.

Did you put one Maxxair in the bathroom?

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:28 PM   #15

We decided to put one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen area. They are close enough that we figured the one in the bedroom could be an exhaust or intake, depending on the direction of the powered vents. We may add a third someday, but we'll certainly add the roof covers fairly soon. (Welcome to the great North-Wet!)