Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2020, 11:06 PM   #1

2016 Forester 3171

I’m seriously considering trading my TT for a 2016 3171DS (bunk house). Just looking at feedback from anyone that has this model. We will be giving up living space from our TT for the convenience of a MH. Bunks are a must. This model/year fits in the budget. Looking for feedback of owners with kids. We have 4 year old twins. We will either be towing our Can Am ATV or my wife’s Jeep depending on where we camp. Thanks!
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:30 PM   #2

Forest River products are well-designed but poorly built. If you are good with a wrench, go for it.
Parkfreeon6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:52 AM   #3

Welcome from SW Ohio . We have a FR Sunseeker 2250slec that was built quite well w/ no repairs needed,yet. Upgrades,yes - repairs,no. Not all FR products are built poorly !
Old 01-07-2020, 04:41 PM   #4

Smile We own!

We own the Forrest River Sunseekeer 32' 3171! We enjoy our motorhome - that being said the biggest downside of it is the steering!! If the unit you are looking at is not equipped with a steering stablizer that would be top of the list to add. We have had ours out on 2 5,000 mile trips and we are definitely having that done before our next trip!! The bunks will work great with smaller or larger children - we usually take our teenage grandkids out with us locally and it works great for that!
twerp11100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:23 PM   #5

what I did with mine was to take it to a good front end person and had the truck alignment done and I can not drive down the road with a cup of coffee in one hand and not move out of my lane
mr.dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:24 PM   #6

I have a2010 and recently took a 2000 mile trip. I have put on front and rear sway bars and steering stabilizer. Made the world of difference.. it is a big boat to run down the road and park in tight spaces but the inside room is worth it. I had 7 people and 3 dogs with no one cramped at all.
sgoharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:06 PM   #7

Purchased a 2014 3170 Sunseeker new and we have been enjoying it. 28500 miles and lots of camping. Retired last year and using it more and more. It has been relative trouble free. We have figured out our lack of kitchen counter space. Everything is a trade off.
We have had small issues with the inside trim and cabinet doors coming loose. Nothing a bit of gorilla glue and toothpicks can’t take care of. Oh, the couch sucks.
We have had a few minor leaks but, they are taken care of.
The bunk space are is great for the grandkids. The only problem is getting in/out the top bunk. We installed a net so no one would roll out of the top.
It has a lot of storage space but take care not to overload the unit. Due to the already heavy weight there is not much left for people, water and stuff. For me, this was a disappointment after I figured it out.
We tow a Subaru Outback and we have no issues. Earlier in the year we towed from SC to the Rockies. Absolutely no issues. The long trip was great and the Sunseeker V10 worked well. The slide door came loose,from the sealing but it was no big deal. I just remounted it back, adjusted and now works better than new.
I will say this, I am very proactive on maintenance and I probably go overboard but, that is just me. This may have played some small part in few problems.
Several years ago we had trouble with the couch slide. My service center was able to effect repairs without pulling the slide. Stripped gear on the gearbox. The bedroom slide has worked flawlessly for 7 years. Just remember to keep the button pushed down for 30sec in and out to keep the motors in sync.
We are still using the same fridge, AC/Heat Pump. Love the heat pump, water heater, love the electric side and furnace. Of course, they get cleaned and serviced every year.
The AC keeps up with the heat just fine even in Moab, but we keep the reflectix material in the windows.

Upgrades to name a few, are
Progressive inverter with 2 AGM group 31 Duracell house batteries
Storage nets from OBIE installed
Spare tire lift winch install
This year replaced the shower skylight just as a precaution. Old one was cloudy and just did not want issues on the 5month Rocky trip.
Replaced the awful couch.. This was a good move.
Installed Bilstien shocks and steering stabilizer.

Of you tires are over 5 years old, replacement them. At the 4.8 year mark, had 2 blowouts so replaced them at 5 years.
My backup camera has just started to act up. It is almost washed out. Will look into replacement soon.

Bottom line, IMHO I think the Forester/Sunseeker are good units and with good care and maintenance will hold up very well. We plan to keep ours and just travel.

For your used unit I would look at the following

Is the AC also a heat pump 15k
Tire age
Engine service records
Couch service records
Also, I would have a Sealtech test preformed for leaks and have an independent inspector.
Hope my ramblings help. Just tried to relate my experience with my Sunseeker.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:54 PM   #8

We purchased our 2017 FR 3171 last year, used. So far we are generally happy with the unit, typical industry quality. The pervious owner was not big on maintenance, like none performed. We got it just in time to fix some leaks and will be going to Elkhart in August for the rally to try and get one leak fixed that is difficult to locate.
The Heat pump is wonderful when it is cool, but not cold. Down below 38/39 we used the furnace. We added a "Y" adaptor to use a 20 lb. tank when the temp got down into the 20s and lower. This allowed us to stay warm without constant trips to get the onboard tank refilled (only the equivalent to a 30# capacity)
We made a temporary cover for the outside shower, so it wouldn't freeze.
We changed the shower faucet to a shower only, cut down on leaking through the spout during navy shower.
We just added a new steering stabilizer with Spring for centering. Won't know about this until next month.
Battery relay box leaked, pervious owner didn't catch it. Replaced the relay which is difficult, but not impossible for an owner repair. I have liberally caulked all around the exterior with hopes I caught the problem, the manufacturer didn't.
If you are willing to do your own maintenance, enjoy the ride. If not, then the dealer will have the unit more than you will.
Cheers
retiredintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:39 AM   #9

2016 Forester 3171

We have a Sunseeker 3170 DSF. The 2014 model was purchased new in 2013. We pull a Subaru Outback.
Like everyone else, we made 1-2 week trips until I retired in 2018, than we put the beast to work. Currently 28k miles.
1st post retirement trip was 5 months in the New England states. Absolutely beautiful.
2nd trip was 5 months enjoying the Rocky Mountains, another memorable trip.
This year is to Ohio, and upstate NY. Planning now.

The grandkids love the RV and at 11 and 9 they still fit. Although we may move the 11 year old to the bottom. Just a bit more room. They rarely travel with us but meet us with their parents at the campground.

Our Sunseeker has been wonderful on these trips. Bad roads, long up and down hill pulls. It’s been great.

Over the 7 years of ownership we have experienced the following.
Gearbox repair on the couch slide.
2 tire failures. 1st took out a fender well, 2nd no damage. Tires were 5 years old.
Water leak in Maine during a 5” downpour. Added caulk at the next day.
Small water leak in the rear slide, inside Hanging closet. I thought condensation. My repair shop did a sealtech test to determine the cause. All fixed. Highly recommend a sealtech test to look for potential leaks.
All leaks have resulted in no damage.
The original jackknife sofa, well sucks. We removed it an added a new one.
I had the tub skylight replaced for the Rockies. It had discolored and I just felt it was time.
I have things serviced every year so I think that has helped a lot.

Some things to be aware of,
1st is the CCC or cargo carrying capacity. It comes on at 1480lbs. This includes people, kids, dogs, cats, water, propane, food, and all other stuff that you carry. When you get it packed for your first trip, load it up and head for the cat scales than go home and repack.
We have learned to carry less and buy more on the road.

We love the heat pump and the electric side of the water heater. These units only have 30amps. This is not much. Electrical management is a learning curve.

Space will get tight with grandkids and parents but, we manage.

The awning does not offer much for rain protection. It is just too short. I do miss the 16’ on our old TT.

Short list of mods
Faucet replacement bath and kitchen
Inverted swap from a Wifco to a progressive industries and 2 AGM group 31 Duracell batteries.
Couch replacement
TPMS add with extenders. Probably would have saved the 1st tire failure.
Added a spare tire winch. I did the design and my buddy did the welding.

Oh, you will need a cabinet door hinge repair kit. Toothpicks and gorilla super glue. On a rainy day, take your nut driver with the T bit and check cabinet hardware screws for tightness.

To sum up, you will have some of the same issues you had with your TT. Do what you can yourself and save some money.

My generator has 300 hours, runs great, starts easily. I run each months for a couple of hours.

All in all, my Sunseeker has been a good unit and we do plan to keep it for the long haul.
Would I buy another, yes, I would buy another.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #10

We are from Ohio and camp a lot at Pymatuning State Park and Geneva State Park. Both are in NE Ohio close to PA.

Pymatuning is a large lake that is in OH and PA. We always stay on the OH side. They have several full hookups and a very nice, large park with several lake front and lake view sites.

Geneva is across the street from Lake Erie. It too is a very nice park with full hookups.

Full hook ups go fast so make reservations soon

If you like wine, there are several wineries in the NE OH area.
Otis the puggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:45 PM   #11

Should be an easy switch for you. You already have wet feet with hot water heaters, converters, batts, and such. I would want to be sure that the wfco is gone with a PD instead, dont know when the change occured. Had to swap mine. I am in a chevy chassis so I have no input about front end issues...

We moved to coach in 14, really love the ability to pull over flip the air and tv on take a break.

Not a 31 owner, but just wanted support the move..
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester