Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2018, 06:04 AM   #21
Road Trippin

So this is probably going to upset some people...

I do a lot of desert camping in the Mojave...during the summer. I have a Forrest River Forrester 3011 with the rear emergency window. I have a small 8000btu window AC that I pop in there to help the roof AC. Keeps the rig nice and cold in 115 degree heat. And no...it's not there when I'm driving. Only when I set up camp.

If the RV were to catch fire and I couldn't make it out the front which is 10ft from the rear, I guess I will just push it out and climb out the window. However I will more than likely just go to the main door.
pismolocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
If it is an emergency window, leave it shut. Stop fiddling with things you shouldn't. Surely you have other windows in that room. My emergency widows has an opening one next to it.
Actually at the Forrest River International Rally, the fire safety seminar we went to, we were advised to open the escape window often to remember how to use it and for it to open easily in an emergency. Even had us practice how to come out the window.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Actually at the Forrest River International Rally, the fire safety seminar we went to, we were advised to open the escape window often to remember how to use it and for it to open easily in an emergency. Even had us practice how to come out the window.
Nice post! Thank you for that. Forest River should send their sales people to these classes. For sales people to tell people to kick out the window is ridiculous. I found some of these people who are sales people haven't even owned an RV or been camping (including a family member of mine). Clueless about rigs, let alone an emergency window!! "Kick the window open" - I truly believed that on my first rig. Then on my second rig - my friend told me all emergency windows open and showed us how to use the level. Also thankfully he showed us how to pull the level towards us first, otherwise I might have broke it. All levels all different, make sure you know how to use it before you force the first opening. Like a previous post says, perhaps the seals are sticking. That's exactly what happened to all my other rigs. Open with caution. But please get familiar with how to open your emergency window. Last thing you want is having a stiff window during an emergency. I will take video this weekend on how to open your emergency window and post it. Perhaps others can do the same, since a lot of levels and windows are different.
nvrsaynvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #24
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post

Agreed. The other thing that will shock people is how hard it is to actually exit the coach via these windows. Itís counter-intuitive but you go out feet first on your belly. Going head-first, I couldnít find a way to get my feet through.

Folks should check out the videos on YouTube from Mac The Fire Guy.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrsaynvr View Post
Nice post! Thank you for that. Forest River should send their sales people to these classes. For sales people to tell people to kick out the window is ridiculous. I found some of these people who are sales people haven't even owned an RV or been camping (including a family member of mine). Clueless about rigs, let alone an emergency window!! "Kick the window open" - I truly believed that on my first rig. Then on my second rig - my friend told me all emergency windows open and showed us how to use the level. Also thankfully he showed us how to pull the level towards us first, otherwise I might have broke it. All levels all different, make sure you know how to use it before you force the first opening. Like a previous post says, perhaps the seals are sticking. That's exactly what happened to all my other rigs. Open with caution. But please get familiar with how to open your emergency window. Last thing you want is having a stiff window during an emergency. I will take video this weekend on how to open your emergency window and post it. Perhaps others can do the same, since a lot of levels and windows are different.
Sorry, few typos (using my cell phone). I meant to say, I will post a video on how to open *my* emergency window.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:56 PM   #26

The window, from lack of use, is stuck to the rubber seal. Push on the bottom of the window as you also push on the lever.
westerm52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #27

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180217_074859.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	162930Click image for larger version

Name:	20180217_074904.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	162931Click image for larger version

Name:	20180217_074908.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	162932

This is the red latch in our 2017 Forester, which is totally different from the emergency red latch in our 2015 Surveryor. But the first time opening the window it was sticky and a bit hard to open. Now, after the initial time opening it, I am able to open the window with one finger. Super easy.
Sorry, the pics are sideways, I don't know how to fix them.

Note - This is our Forester, not the Surveyor (which had a long red latch), which I had to pull towards me and then slide through the small hole on the screen. Again, after the first time opening it, it was super easy to open. The first time was a bit sticky.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
If it is an emergency window, leave it shut. Stop fiddling with things you shouldn't. Surely you have other windows in that room. My emergency widows has an opening one next to it.
My bedroom windows both have levers for normal opening and levers for complete removal in emergency situations. Figuring out how they work and if they work can save lives and is NOT fiddling.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #29

Everyone should know how to open the emergency exit window. During an emergency is not the time to see if it works or how to turn the handles.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, forester, window, bed, 305