Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #1

2017 3051 Forester - Bedroom Exit Window Screen

The bedroom window is an exit window and unlike our other rig (FR Surveyor), our Forester didn't come with a screen. Any other FR Forester owners have the screen, or it just doesn't come with one? Any ideas for a screen? I seen other post where people just put up a magnet screen, but unfortunately they still got bugs. I don't even know if this window has the lips (?) to put a screen in. Anyone? TYIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	184
Size:	717.9 KB
ID:	161944  
nvrsaynvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:02 PM   #2

If I remember from a previous thread emergency exit windows are not designed to have screens.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:04 PM   #3

I did read that, but our Forest River Surveyor has one. it has a little hole on the bottom of the screen on the metal frame, and you push the emergency rod through it to open up the window for fresh air.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2018, 08:57 PM   #4

We've found the little side window sufficient for a breeze when the weather permits using the vent fan.
After attending a fire safety class showing you only have seconds to open that window, throw your bedding over the latch area ( so you don't cut yourself open) and escape through that window belly down, I wouldn't want a screen between me and outside.
The instructor also strongly recommended cutting a piece of pvc pipe to prop the window open so it's doesn't cut your back on the way out. Not a problem on windows that aren't hinged and fall onto the ground when opened.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
If I remember from a previous thread emergency exit windows are not designed to have screens.
That's also what I was told too but I've seen some RV's emergency windows with screens and some without. This is another project in my queue, make a screen that can be velcro'ed in place and some sort of mechanism to prop open the window.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #6

We have a 2017 Coachmen Leprechaun with the same issue. I've had other rigs with a screen on the exit window as shown in the photo above so the line about "no screen on exit windows" doesn't fly with me. I have cut a screen and applied it to the window with velcro. When I want to open the window I just pull open the corners of the screen, flip the latches and but a short piece of dowel to hold the window open. It has worked great so far but I would love a nicely constructed one with the handle to open the window.
Hoffwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:40 PM   #7

Yes, the screen on the exit window is VERY easy to remove. Almost "fall out easy". So, I don't see an issue with the screen if it's easy to remove. I have thought about the velcro, but really don't want to do that. I will check the window and see if it is possible to fit a screen in there. Even if I have to pay to get a custom screen built.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #8

I have the opposite problem. My bedroom exit window has a screen, but the window won't open. I was told by the dealer that they don't make them with a hinge it's just a ledge so you just kick out the window. But then why the screen??? I would have to wrestle the screen out before opening the window to escape. The door is on the other side of the bed and would be easier to open and leave. BTW there is a lever on the bottom for opening but I can't get the thing to move the window.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:17 PM   #9

The lever should definately open the window. You don't just kick it out. Good lord these dealers get worse by the day.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:27 PM   #10
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrsaynvr View Post
The bedroom window is an exit window and unlike our other rig (FR Surveyor), our Forester didn't come with a screen. Any other FR Forester owners have the screen, or it just doesn't come with one? Any ideas for a screen? I seen other post where people just put up a magnet screen, but unfortunately they still got bugs. I don't even know if this window has the lips (?) to put a screen in. Anyone? TYIA
My understanding of these things is that an emergency exit widow should not be used as a regular window, therefore no screen required. Regular use may wear/damage the quick release mechanism. Yours my be different to mine.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #11

Rita, I had a surveyor too. your window does open with the red handle. With mine, I had to pull towards me and it made like a long level, then you push it through the little hole in the metal of the screen. It should even have a lip to hold the window open for you. My dealer told me the same thing. He was so wrong. The first time I opened it, it was a bit stiff to get that level pulled straight. See my message # 3 on this thread. It has a pic of the surveyor window we had.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:10 PM   #12

Our SunSeeker has a screen and the window slides open. There is a red handle to use in an emergency and the whole thing opens.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #13

Quote:
My Wildcat emergency windows are designed to be opened and in fact, do have screens
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaB View Post
I have the opposite problem. My bedroom exit window has a screen, but the window won't open. I was told by the dealer that they don't make them with a hinge it's just a ledge so you just kick out the window. But then why the screen??? I would have to wrestle the screen out before opening the window to escape. The door is on the other side of the bed and would be easier to open and leave. BTW there is a lever on the bottom for opening but I can't get the thing to move the window.

Don't you think that should be fixed?? WD 40 maybe!
Old 02-08-2018, 10:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Our bedroom escape window also has a screen.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #16

Pisses me off that the dealer is telling people that the windows don't open and kick them out. They told me the same lie. The emergency windows should open with the red level easily. Again, both my Surveyor and my Forester, the first time I open them, they were stiff, but husband opened them the first round. After that they are easy to open DONT KICK YOUR WINDOW OPEN! Recommend figuring out how to open your emergency window anyway.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrsaynvr View Post
Pisses me off that the dealer is telling people that the windows don't open and kick them out. They told me the same lie. The emergency windows should open with the red level easily. Again, both my Surveyor and my Forester, the first time I open them, they were stiff, but husband opened them the first round. After that they are easy to open DONT KICK YOUR WINDOW OPEN! Recommend figuring out how to open your emergency window anyway.
Yea it really is ignorant to say kick It out. I mean that is just plain bs
Old 02-10-2018, 08:32 PM   #18

The window is probably stuck to the window seals. Just push it open and silicon the seals.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:39 AM   #19
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
The window is probably stuck to the window seals. Just push it open and silicon the seals.
If it is an emergency window, leave it shut. Stop fiddling with things you shouldn't. Surely you have other windows in that room. My emergency widows has an opening one next to it.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
If it is an emergency window, leave it shut. Stop fiddling with things you shouldn't. Surely you have other windows in that room. My emergency widows has an opening one next to it.
I have 2 windows in my bedroom. Both emergency windows. Both are made to be opened and we do every day we are camping.

Tags
roo, forester, window, bed, 305