Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
Site Team
 
dcheatwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,304
2017 Ford E450 6.8L oil change

Am I reading this manual correctly? This big V10 engine only takes 6 qts of oil, with filter change?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190526_175449362.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	205562
__________________

__________________
2018 Forester 3011 DS

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:08 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,262
Sounds correct to me, it's a Ford Modular engine and part of the 5.4/4.6 SOHC V8 family with two more cylinders.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Modular_engine
__________________

__________________
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CTD/CC/SB/4X4/Equalizer WDH
2019 Forest River Surveyor Legend 19BHLE
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:09 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Posts: 9,161
Mine has the remote filter and takes 7 qt.
__________________
2012 SunSeeker 3100SS Toad-1962 Futura Average 100 + days camping
A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:26 PM   #4
Site Team
 
dcheatwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,304
I'll confirm somehow before I change it tomorrow. Thanks guys.
__________________
2018 Forester 3011 DS

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
RedLdr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 1,906
That is how much our 2017 E-450 chassis used. Then another partial quart to get it correct on the dipstick. Also use the oil viscosity on the oil filler cap as the book may list a couple options. My local Ford dealer made sure to tell me about that one...
__________________
Wayne and Christine
2020 Sunseeker MBS 2400Q "The Q" with the Trekker Cap and Metallic Full Body Paint
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:20 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SW PA
Posts: 710
Yup thats what mine takes. After adding a 5 quart jug and 1 single the dipstick is right where it should be.
If your doing it yourself walmart has the Motorcraft oil and filter, about $30 for 6 quarts and a filter.

Just an idea, I punch a hole in the bottom of the filter after the pan drains, makes less of a mess then removing a vertical filter when full.
__________________


2017.5 Forester 3051S
2019 Jeep Trailhawk toad
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:01 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post

Just an idea, I punch a hole in the bottom of the filter after the pan drains, makes less of a mess then removing a vertical filter when full.
Just make sure you can remove the filter before you do that. Some are tightened by arm wrestlers.
__________________
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CTD/CC/SB/4X4/Equalizer WDH
2019 Forest River Surveyor Legend 19BHLE
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:15 PM   #8
Site Team
 
dcheatwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,304
Thanks all. Just changed the oil. Took about 20 minutes with drain time. Mobile 1 5W30 synthetic - 6 qts did it. Bought all, including the mobile 1 filter at walmart. Expected it to be a lot more to it, but with hydraulic Jack's down and stands in place, it was really accessible. Thanks again.
__________________
2018 Forester 3011 DS

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:41 PM   #9
Citrus County, Fl.
 
GL1800Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hernando, Fl
Posts: 2,132
Just curious if you checked the level in your auto leveler reservoir while you were under there. I add that to my list when I change the oil and grease the front end.

Looks like Mobil 1 is cheaper at Wal-Mart than it is at Amazon right now. Mine is not due until Sept. but changed the oil and air filter in the generator today.
__________________
2016 Forester 3011DS
2017 Toyota Corolla SE toad
PREVIOUS: 2015 Flagstaff 832IKBS
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:12 PM   #10
Site Team
 
dcheatwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Just curious if you checked the level in your auto leveler reservoir while you were under there. I add that to my list when I change the oil and grease the front end.

Looks like Mobil 1 is cheaper at Wal-Mart than it is at Amazon right now. Mine is not due until Sept. but changed the oil and air filter in the generator today.
No, I didn't check it but I could see the tank farther back and it appeared about half full with Jack's down. The tank was see thru. I'll check it soon though. Leaving on 2-week trip in mid June so got lots if "checking" to do.
__________________
2018 Forester 3011 DS

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 117
I will be doing my oil change myself for the first time this coming weekend. Do you have to change the bolt (and washer if any)? Or can you reuse both?
ADOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:24 PM   #12
Site Team
 
dcheatwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOR View Post
I will be doing my oil change myself for the first time this coming weekend. Do you have to change the bolt (and washer if any)? Or can you reuse both?
Not sure what you mean by bolt, but if you mean drain plug, then no. Take it out to drain, put it in the plug. Only needed oil and filter.
__________________
2018 Forester 3011 DS

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Posts: 9,161
Just use a 6 sided box wrench or 6 sided socket.
__________________
2012 SunSeeker 3100SS Toad-1962 Futura Average 100 + days camping
A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 117
Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, I was referring to the drain plug. I used to take it to Camping World for oil change. While it is up on the lift, I ask them to look up, walk around and inspect the underneath for anything thing that might need some fixing. Last time I was there, there was some rubber bushing that was missing. However, it took me almost the entire day for a simple oil change and walk around inspection. I had 9Am appointment. I did not get the unit back until around 2:30 PM. I was told they were short staffed.

I will do my own oil change this time.
ADOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:11 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SW PA
Posts: 710
There is an o-ring on the drain plug. No need to change but make sure it's in place and in good shape. It's a standard size available at most auto parts stores. I do keep a few around, just because.

I have the Bigfoot levelers. There is a metal cover over the reservoir/pump assy.
__________________


2017.5 Forester 3051S
2019 Jeep Trailhawk toad
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:20 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 117
I also need to check the fluid level on my Bigfoot levelers. Where exactly is it located? I have a 2015 2861DS. Thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
I have the Bigfoot levelers. There is a metal cover over the reservoir/pump assy.
ADOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SW PA
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOR View Post
I also need to check the fluid level on my Bigfoot levelers. Where exactly is it located? I have a 2015 2861DS. Thanks.
Should be about midway on the chassis attached to the drivers side frame rail. The giveaway is the 8 hydraulic lines leading to it.
__________________


2017.5 Forester 3051S
2019 Jeep Trailhawk toad
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:09 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOR View Post
Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, I was referring to the drain plug. I used to take it to Camping World for oil change. While it is up on the lift, I ask them to look up, walk around and inspect the underneath for anything thing that might need some fixing. Last time I was there, there was some rubber bushing that was missing. However, it took me almost the entire day for a simple oil change and walk around inspection. I had 9Am appointment. I did not get the unit back until around 2:30 PM. I was told they were short staffed.

I will do my own oil change this time.
If you've done oil changes yourself before, you probably already know this, but it's worth mentioning.

Just another tip... I used to notice these on the 6.8L when I did LOF's for Ford in College. Make sure that the filter O-Ring comes off with the filter. The 6.8L V-10's were (this was in 2001-2003) notorious for having the oil filter O-Ring stick to where the filter screws on. Yes, even if rubbed with a little oil when installed. If you have an extra O-Ring on the filter, it will make a BIG mess. I made that mistake once... but only once, and noticed it really quickly. No damage to customer's vehicle, and I made sure I told them to watch for smells or oil drips that I may have missed when cleaning.
__________________
Me, the wife, & 2 daughters (9 & 4yrs old)
2019 Palomino Puma QBSS
2015 Silverado LTZ / Z71 w/ many upgrades
GXPWeasel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by GXPWeasel1
If you've done oil changes yourself before, you probably already know this, but it's worth mentioning.

Just another tip... I used to notice these on the 6.8L when I did LOF's for Ford in College. Make sure that the filter O-Ring comes off with the filter ...
Thanks for the memories! While I've changed oil in my rigs over the years, I was helping/training a friend who had never done it. Jon and his wife had a late model Dodge minivan. We set up in my garage, dropped the old oil & filter. I demonstrated how not to drop the filter in the oil pan (splash!), and the process of oiling the gasket on the new filter before installing it.

New filter on (though it felt a bit squishy at the 3/4 to 1 turn mark ?? ) and new synthetic oil filled per spec, I had him fire it up. It started fine, sounded good for about 10 seconds.

Gurggggggle!

About 2-3 quarts of that brand new expensive oil was now all over my floor... Shut er down!!!!

I knew immediately what I had done - I had failed to ensure the old gasket came away with the filter. D'oh! (Never had that happen before - nice training session for both of us...)

Therefore - no matter the model, make sure the gasket stays with the filter, or you remove it if it stays on the mounting flange.

D'oh!
__________________

__________________
2016 2250LE/Chevy
Formerly: 2000 Four Winds 26Q/Ford, '96 Kit Sportsmaster 22' 5th wheel, '91 Sunlite truck camper, Wildernest flip-top canopy
brucemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ford, forester

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.


×