Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 07:25 PM   #1

2017 forester

can anyone tell me where the transfer switch is located ? i did find a junction bow in the storage next to the genny where all power is going to but no transfer switch . it must be some place looked everywhere
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
can anyone tell me where the transfer switch is located ? i did find a junction bow in the storage next to the genny where all power is going to but no transfer switch . it must be some place looked everywhere
What model? I have a 2018 model 3011ds and the switch is under the bed,under tray.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:50 PM   #3

not sure the model was checking for a friend . i looked every where saw the distrubition panel in the bed frame and water tank . but no switch . i'll have to find the exact model

pulled panels off everywhere with no luck
Old 07-26-2018, 07:58 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
not sure the model was checking for a friend . i looked every where saw the distrubition panel in the bed frame and water tank . but no switch . i'll have to find the exact model

Wow. Good luck. Report back when you find it. Someone else may have same issue. Thanks.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:44 PM   #5

Quote:

On our 2011 Sunseeker 3100, the transfer switch is under the bed with the distribution panel and fresh water tank. It's the plain box (marked "J" by someone at the factory) with the black shore line and orange 10 AWG cables. If your friend's RV is a different year the transfer switch may be from a different manufacturer.

If you can follow the shore line, trace it to the transfer switch. A 10 AWG cable goes from the transfer switch to the power distribution panel, and another 10 AWG cable comes to the transfer switch from the generator.

The black box in the photo is a power management system that I added.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical Mgt System 3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	181371  
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:45 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Wow is an understatement. Even a 255 lb Plumber knows better than that.

BTW, what is the issue?
Old 07-26-2018, 09:00 PM   #7

On some models the transfer switch is attached to the back of the power distribution panel. The WFCO brand panel in ours has provision for that but the transfer switch is separate, maybe because it would not have fit with the water tank so close.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:12 PM   #8

not behind the distribution panel .I did trace the wires . all go to a basic electrical metal junction box . I almost wonder if it was removed and someone hard wired it . the genny supply , shore power and load all come together in the junction box and there is no transfer switch
Old 07-27-2018, 03:41 PM   #9

Quote:
not behind the distribution panel .I did trace the wires . all go to a basic electrical metal junction box . I almost wonder if it was removed and someone hard wired it . the genny supply , shore power and load all come together in the junction box and there is no transfer switch
Have you opened up the "basic electrical metal junction box" that you say all the wires go into? If it has a relay, that's the transfer switch. Look again at my photo. My transfer switch is a plain metal box with no factory markings visible. If there are any markings on mine, they are on the bottom.

If the three cables are indeed wired together, tell your friend to not use it until someone competent has installed a transfer switch. If they are wired together, he has a very dangerous situation. The generator could backfeed the shore line and electrocute someone. Even if the shore line is not plugged in, the prongs on the shore line plug would be electrified.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Have you opened up the "basic electrical metal junction box" that you say all the wires go into? If it has a relay, that's the transfer switch. Look again at my photo. My transfer switch is a plain metal box with no factory markings visible. If there are any markings on mine, they are on the bottom.

If the three cables are indeed wired together, tell your friend to not use it until someone competent has installed a transfer switch. If they are wired together, he has a very dangerous situation. The generator could backfeed the shore line and electrocute someone. Even if the shore line is not plugged in, the prongs on the shore line plug would be electrified.

Thanks . I know what a transfer switch looks like . this box had all the feeds wired nutted together . I am also aware of why a transfer switch is used . i could not understand why i could not find this one . have been in hundreds of unit and never had issues finding a transfer switch or anything else for that matter . That's why i'm wondering if someone took it out and just wired it together . and why i came here to see if they put the transfer switch in some odd place . thanks for your efforts
Old 07-27-2018, 08:11 PM   #11

You have the problem solved. With the three cables tied together, it's an electrocution hazard. Tell your friend he must get it corrected.

If your friend does not want to have a transfer switch installed, he can have an electrician remove the cable coming from the generator and run it to a 30 amp outlet that matches the shore line plug. He can just plug the shore line into it when he runs the generator. Some motorhomes are set up that way.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
You have the problem solved. With the three cables tied together, it's an electrocution hazard. Tell your friend he must get it corrected.

If your friend does not want to have a transfer switch installed, he can have an electrician remove the cable coming from the generator and run it to a 30 amp outlet that matches the shore line plug. He can just plug the shore line into it when he runs the generator. Some motorhomes are set up that way.

Thanks . I was just asking where the transfer switch was as i couldn't find it in the obvious places or the out of the way places , wondering if i over looked something . but it seems it may have been removed . If so he'll get one and install it .

Tags
forester