RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-25-2017, 02:06 AM   #1

2017 Forester 3051S Sliding Door Problem

We purchased a 2017 Forester 3051S recently. After driving the 330 miles home we noticed the sliding door didn't line up correctly with the door facing when closed. Upon closer inspection we saw that the door track and trim had dropped from the ceiling exposing several screws.

A Forest River rep gave me 3 choices for repair:

1. Do it myself by removing the screws, wedging the track against the ceiling, drilling new holes 1 inch away from the existing holes and reattach using same length coarse thread screws.

2. Take it to a repair shop he recommended about 3 hours away.

3. Get it repaired at the factory at the International Rally in August.

I went the DIY route as it seemed simple enough and I was concerned it would only get worse and eventually interfere with the slide operation.

I drilled a new hole through the metal track and just enough into the ceiling for a pilot hole. The first screw I replaced did not catch wood just like the factory screws I tried to retighten.

I drilled the next hole off center in the track and that screw pulled up tight. I did this with 3 additional screws and that solved the problem. The door operated very easily and lined up so now the latch worked..... until our recent 700 mile trip.

The door has again dropped from the ceiling and this time more factory screws pulled out along with those I replaced. At this point I have wedged a piece of wood under the door to prevent further damage (we don't use the door anyway) and hope I can get a spot at the International Rally in August so the factory can repair it.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Old 03-25-2017, 07:15 AM   #2

No issues with that door yet on my 2015.

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:55 PM   #3

No problem with my 2014. Hope you get a spot at the FROG Rally.
Rocket City Gary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
305, door, forester