RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-25-2017, 04:31 PM   #1

Smile 2017 Sunseeker

Hello! New to all this as you can tell from my questions. Any help would really be appreciated! I have a 2017 Sunseeker. I am confused about a few things.The picture is what I have. I know the white hose is used to draw up the antifreeze to winterize. Which way should the valve be when drawing up the antifreeze? Is this also called the hot water bypass valve? The blue hose goes below the camper and it drains the fresh water holding tank. Which way should the valve go to do this? I took the picture after it was winterized and the valve is pointing up and down. Does the valve only turn two directions? There is also a black hose below the camper next to the blue one with a metal cap on it. Is it used for draining the hot water heater? I also remember at the dealership when they winterized it, one of them telling the other, "don't forget to turn the three valves inside the camper". I have a Atwood GC6AA-10E water heater. Would there be three valves on the back side of it inside the camper that need turned? There is also a round opening under the bed,there are hoses,one has a valve on it, if I remember correctly it is on a blue hose but you can also see a red hose in the same area. Is that valve turned to fill the fresh water tank when hooked up to city water or is it for something else? It seems the more I look online the more confused I get as I am not finding any info with my exact setup. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	457.3 KB
ID:	135884  
rlwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
RETIRED AND LOVING IT

Welcome to the forum from Southern Worcester County Mass. Congratulations on your new Sunseeker. To your questions you'd be better off asking in the sunseeker forum in the Motorhomes section http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f18/. Plenty of help there, be sure to include your model no. as locations of the various valves and drains can be different in other models.
2016 Ford Race Car Red 350HD Diesel Cargo Van HR DRW EXT "Red Roamer"
"I am in the prime of my decrepitude"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:01 PM   #3

Thank You!
Old 04-25-2017, 08:51 PM   #4
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Who'd you buy this from?
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:23 PM   #5

2017 Sunseeker 2300

Called them yesterday. Was told they were very busy this time of year, took my name and number, no one was available at the time to answer my questions. Have not heard from them yet.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:21 PM   #6

2017 Sunseeker 2300

The arrow on your black valve should be pointing left or right to allow water to flow from the tank to sink etc. When pointing up it will only draw from the white hose which would be placed in an antifreeze bottle to winterize.

The silver valve in the blue line is used to drain your fresh water tank if needed or when winterizing.

Your hot water bypass will likely be located behind a cabinet or under a bed. Mine is accessed via a round port with a screw lid under my bed. There will likely be three valves, two open and one between them closed, water flows thru water heater. Two closed with the one between them open and the water heater is bypassed. My bypass valves are silver like the one in your blue line.

All the valves should only move a 1/4 turn.

The red line is hot water. Mine has a screw cap underneath to drain the hot water lines and water heater.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:41 AM   #7

When you valve is in line with the hose, it is open. When the valve is perpendicular with the hose it is closed. Make sense?
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:30 AM   #8
RETIRED AND LOVING IT

Hello! New to all this as you can tell from my questions. Any help would really be appreciated! I have a 2017 Sunseeker. I am confused about a few things.The picture is what I have. I know the white hose is used to draw up the antifreeze to winterize. Which way should the valve be when drawing up the antifreeze?
To draw the anti-freeze the valve lever should be in line with the hose in the ant-freeze jug. Normally the valve lever would be in line with the pump suction line.

Is this also called the hot water bypass valve? No.

The blue hose goes below the camper and it drains the fresh water holding tank. Which way should the valve go to do this? Normally the valve lever would be at right angle to the blue line(that is closed)

I took the picture after it was winterized and the valve is pointing up and down. Does the valve only turn two directions? These valves generally only turn 90degrees, as Benagi said with the lever in line with the hose its open.

There is also a black hose below the camper next to the blue one with a metal cap on it. Is it used for draining the hot water heater? No I believe that is your low point drain.
I also remember at the dealership when they winterized it, one of them telling the other, "don't forget to turn the three valves inside the camper". Those are your Hot water bypass valves.

I have a Atwood GC6AA-10E water heater. Would there be three valves on the back side of it inside the camper that need turned? Yes I have no idea where they are in a 2300, In mine they are behind a panel on the cabinets directly opposite the outside access to the water heater. Check the water heater that the drain plug is in and tight and relief valve closed.Do not turn on the water heater electric switch until you have purged all the air from the system.

There is also a round opening under the bed,there are hoses,one has a valve on it, if I remember correctly it is on a blue hose but you can also see a red hose in the same area. Is that valve turned to fill the fresh water tank when hooked up to city water or is it for something else? Sorry that I cant help you.

It seems the more I look online the more confused I get as I am not finding any info with my exact setup. Thanks! Take it slow and easy and read the forum search for your particular unit, check out the Forester forum too. Their 2301 is the same as your 2300 just a bit snazzier
2016 Ford Race Car Red 350HD Diesel Cargo Van HR DRW EXT "Red Roamer"
"I am in the prime of my decrepitude"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:04 AM   #9

Welcome from SW Ohio , enjoy your MH !
Old 04-26-2017, 06:46 AM   #10

Be sure to completely flush the pink RV antifreeze from your cold and hot water systems before you install your water filter element and before you open the bypass to put water in the water heater. You never antifreeze in either of those.

To be sure you have the water heater filled with water before you turn the electric element on, with the water pump on or connected to city water, open the water heater pressure relief valve until water comes out. Even though opening a hot water faucet should let the air out, opening the relief makes sure water is in the water heater. If you didn't get the bypass valves set right, water could go to the faucets but the water heater could still be empty.

Use the search box on this forum to find dewinterizing procedures.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:35 AM   #11
Citrus County, Fl.

To answer some of your questions, yes the valves only turn in two directions. As for the hoses under the bed I can't help with that as the only hose I have is the tank fill. There is no valve to turn on when hooked up to city water. As others have said, it would help to know what model number you have.

I have attached some pictures of my 3011 so you can compare. Mine is not winterized as there is no need in Florida so the valves are set where they need to be for use. You would turn them to the opposite position to winterize or drain the water tank.

At times we get nights into the 20's so I drain my water tank (which should be done occasionally anyway) and the low point drain ( the hose with the cap on it underneath the coach). Be sure to open all of your faucets when you drain the low point. By pass valve should be near the water heater but I never had a need to use it. To drain the water heater unscrew the white hexagon cap on the lower left inside the cover.

In case you are wondering, the little white box behind the red and blue hoses is a water alarm and yes it works.

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170426_081040.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	135934   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170426_081053.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	135935   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170426_081146.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	135936  
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #12

I have a video for winterizing an de-winterizing my Sunseeker. All the same stuff should apply to yours. Check them out and see if they help.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:03 AM   #13

rlwilliams.

Pretty sure your 2300 is nearly identical to my 2451s with the water tank and water heater under the bed.

Attached pictures show the water heater by-pass valves but not in bypass mode. To bypass you would just switch all three valves.

Hope this helps and Happy Campin!

Name:	IMG_0628.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	135960Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0629.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	135961
Old 04-26-2017, 11:25 AM   #14
DW's 401(k) Plan

Looks like your questions have been answered. So I will just say WELCOME from Western MD!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:36 PM   #15

Welcome! I'll add just a few things you didn't ask about since all your questions have been answered. My top tip is to watch everything you can and ask questions when techs are working on your RV. It is a great advantage to learn as much as you can. Second tip is always go back to the dealer who sold you the RV for repairs because there are few if any other dealers that will help you out if you bought it somewhere else.

You'll find that other RVers are very helpful and willing to talk about problems and solutions they've seen. Personally I learned a lot from them. Happy trails as they say.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:54 AM   #16

water works

The hot water bypass is under the bed as shown in the previous pick inside the screw on access opening. You might want to remove the matress and unscrew the first bed panel and take a look what is under the bed. You will find the hw heater, fresh water tank, and the electrical junction box. Many of us do not fill the lines with antifreeze, I use compressed air with a Camco 36143 Blow Out Plug with Brass Quick Connect, and put anti in the traps.

Click on my name hoglou on the left of this message and take a look at my pics. All the mods are on the 2300.
L'IL Foot" 2014 Sunseeker 2300
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:10 PM   #17

I've got a Forester 2301 - basically same rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwilliams View Post
Hello! New to all this as you can tell from my questions. Any help would really be appreciated! I have a 2017 Sunseeker. I am confused about a few things.The picture is what I have. I know the white hose is used to draw up the antifreeze to winterize. Which way should the valve be when drawing up the antifreeze? Answered above Is this also called the hot water bypass valve? The blue hose goes below the camper and it drains the fresh water holding tank. Which way should the valve go to do this? I took the picture after it was winterized and the valve is pointing up and down. Does the valve only turn two directions? There is also a black hose below the camper next to the blue one with a metal cap on it. Is it used for draining the hot water heater? No - that's for draining your hot water system inside the rig. The water heater is drained by taking out the plastic plug in the lower left hand corner. I cut the cap off the hot drain line and put a valve inline inside the plumbing compartment next to where the cold water valve is (the blue tubing line), makes it easier to drain the both hot and cold water at the same time.I also remember at the dealership when they winterized it, one of them telling the other, "don't forget to turn the three valves inside the camper". I have a Atwood GC6AA-10E water heater. Would there be three valves on the back side of it inside the camper that need turned? There is also a round opening under the bed,there are hoses,one has a valve on it, if I remember correctly it is on a blue hose but you can also see a red hose in the same area. Is that valve turned to fill the fresh water tank when hooked up to city water or is it for something else? It seems the more I look online the more confused I get as I am not finding any info with my exact setup. Thanks!
That round opening under your mattress leads to the water heater bypass. There's 3 valves there. One closes the cold water intake to the water heater, one closes the hot water output to your rig and the third is opened when you close the other two to allow the antifreeze to bypass your water heater - saves you 6 or so gallons of antifreeze. WARNING - when you take that round cap off and reach in to open or close your bypass valves be VERY careful when you pull your hand back out. When FR installed that little round hatch they used 1 1/2" SHARP screws. I learned the hard way the first time I closed the valves...only lost a little blood from the slice and dice that the screw points do. I still catch one occasionally even knowing their there. I'm thinking about buying a 12"X12" or 6"X12" plastic hatch like the ones used on boat decks and replace that little round one. You've got a lot of electrical stuff under there too so it's a good idea to take a look around there when you can. There's only a few screws that hold the plywood bed support to the framework so it's easy to open the whole thing up. I did that when I installed my EMS under the bed. One other thing, if you're going to winterize yourself, don't forget to run some antifreeze through your outside shower. That's where I usually start as it's the highest faucet in the system. Then I work backwards to the shower, toilet, bathroom sink and finish up on the kitchen sink. If you're looking for some hidden storage there's a good size area under the dinette (if you have the U dinette) cushion under the window. I mounted a small safe to the floor under the dinette seat opposite the oven. One other thing I just thought of. FR only holds the plumbing compartment door to the hinges with double sided tape - it will fall off. I drilled and pop-riveted mine so it won't fall off any more. Sorry for the fuzzy photo. And you can save money on your water filters - I buy the 10" charcoal filters at HD for a lot less than you'll pay at CW or your dealership. They fit and work perfectly.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker