Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2024, 04:30 PM   #1

2017 Sunseeker RVS backup camera

Trying to troubleshoot my backup camera connected to a sony radio that stopped working.
I removed the camera from the rear and pulled the wire out a few feet. It seems to be stuck.
The plug in the radio is RCA yellow (video). Where does it connect to the rear? Is there some interconnect behind a panel?

The camera is labeled CCD Color Camera 12v 15456 with a RVS mount.

Do I keep pulling and risk loosing the connection? Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240608_160208.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	300693   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240608_160157.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	300694  
justinvd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 08:55 PM   #2

The 3 cameras (rear & side x2) connect to a multiplexer switch. This switch will be a small metal box with the 3 camera inputs, trigger inputs and a RCA output (your yellow RCA plug) that connects to the dash radio. The multiplexer will be stuffed somewhere under the dash most likely left of the steering wheel.

The pigtail that is part of the camera will be attached to a long extension that goes forward to the dash area. You may have to remove interior trim to locate that connection.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 11:42 PM   #3
Site Team

Moved thread from the Tech and Repair section to the Forester and Sunseeker sub-forum for better help from other Sunseeker owners and possible factory support.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 05:42 PM   #4

Anyone know which way the wire goes down the back? Like which side it's wired on normally? It almost seems like it's pinched somewhere and won't pull out all the way to change the camera. Is the extension 5pin cable connected somewhere else?
Old 06-22-2024, 06:37 PM   #5

The least likely failure is in the video cable. Quit tugging on it or you will have TWO problems.

Get a cheap backup camera from eBay or Amazon and plug it in and connect power. If it works, your camera is defective.

If it still doesn't work, find the multiplexer and swap the rear camera cable with the left or right side. If the fault stays with the rear camera, the multiplexer is bad. If the fault moves to the side, the cable is bad (unlikely).
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 06:54 PM   #6

Yea it's definitely the camera itself. My issue is that I can't get to the 5pin connector on the end of the camera that connects to the extension cable. I'm probably going to have to remove interior trim to find it. I did pull a few of the rear high marker lights to try to follow it and it goes up through the center of the wiring "trough". I might just go wireless temporarily until I have some time to remove trim. I did just have the rear floor repaired and they had the trim open. Of course the camera stopped working about 2 weeks after I picked it up...
Old 06-23-2024, 09:52 AM   #7

Let us know

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinvd6 View Post
Yea it's definitely the camera itself. My issue is that I can't get to the 5pin connector on the end of the camera that connects to the extension cable. I'm probably going to have to remove interior trim to find it. I did pull a few of the rear high marker lights to try to follow it and it goes up through the center of the wiring "trough". I might just go wireless temporarily until I have some time to remove trim. I did just have the rear floor repaired and they had the trim open. Of course the camera stopped working about 2 weeks after I picked it up...
I've got the roof off an older unit. On this one, all the wiring is in the roof: marker lights, 12v interior lights, 120 Vac, etc. If yours is strung across the roof trusses like mine, it's not stapled anywhere, but I can see how the connector might be snagged on a truss. You might want to drop the interior shrouds on the fans, vents, and skylights in the appropriate area. You would be amazed at how far you can reach in.

Let us know how it comes out.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 08:00 PM   #8
JSaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinvd6 View Post
Trying to troubleshoot my backup camera connected to a sony radio that stopped working.
I removed the camera from the rear and pulled the wire out a few feet. It seems to be stuck.
The plug in the radio is RCA yellow (video). Where does it connect to the rear? Is there some interconnect behind a panel?

The camera is labeled CCD Color Camera 12v 15456 with a RVS mount.

Do I keep pulling and risk loosing the connection? Thoughts?

I replaced mine on my 2018 Sunseeker MB. The Amazon camera will not work as you need a 5 pin. The connection on mine was probably 5' inside. I just carefully pulled out the wire until I got to the connection. I found the correct camera from Trailer supply.com. More money but just plug and go.

Tags
camera, sunseeker