Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2020, 07:27 AM   #1

2018 class-C Forester mod 3051

Hi Again Folks,
Anyone else who didnt like their "in dash"
Pioneer radio system ?

The screen cant be seen in daylight at all and there is no GPS.

Now the lack of GPS is my fault I suppose for not asking about it but I claim I was overwhelmed by buying a new coach at the time with every little thing one has to look for and ask about.

So anyway where would one go to get a nice replacement with a great screen and a GPS in it?

Oh, and it has to work with the left/right indicators too.

Thanks
James Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:08 AM   #2

If your going to do it yourself check out Crutchfield for some options, they come with the wiring harness. Stores that sell car audio usually do installs as well like Bestbuy.
I went the other direction, I had a Jensen unit, I really didn’t like the GPS in it, you have to pay for map updates, and you couldn’t see the screen very well. I’m using a Garmin RV 660 Gps now that I really like, I even added the optional wireless camera to it for a second camera for my hitch.
I installed a higher end Pioneer AVH4500NEX DVD with Apple car play, it’s much better. The screen on the new Pioneer is a lot easier to see as well. And with the Garmin there are no restrictions on (the passenger) entering info while your driving. It’s nice to be able to double check the routes on the Garmin GPS with the Google maps on Apple car play.
I believe your cameras run on a single input from the camera controller so they should work if the new unit has a camera input. I have a rear view mirror style backup camera and I don’t have blind spot cameras so I’m not using the camera input on the Pioneer.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:39 PM   #3

I replaced mine with one from Best Buy with car play. I like it much better!
West Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:18 AM   #4

Upgraded to a newer Sony which I do like but it still has some screen glare. I may upgrade again for the one with the 8.5" screen. First going to replace the rearview mirror with a monitor and run the cameras up there as primary. Easy to simply split the reverse camera before it gets to the switch box (see below) and have it show up on both. My only complaint is the camera they put in the clearance light isn't the highest quality. I wonder if they make the same unit with a better camera.

As for the cameras, if you following the line back you will find it goes to a box that all of the camera are connected to. That box controls the camera that is on the screen by the input (reverse, left signal, right signal) with reverse being the dominant signal. You simply should only need to plug that plug into the rear of any radio that supports a camera. If it says just rear camera that is fine as the box does all of the work.

Tags
305, forester