Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2020, 02:11 PM   #1

2020 3010 ds sunseeker premium camping pkg

I'm looking at buying a new 2020 or 2021 3010DS with the SUNSEEKER PREMIUM CAMPING PKG and the ROOF MOUNTED SOLAR 12V CHARGING SYSTEM. Now my question is since the PREMIUM CAMPING PKG makes everything 12V even the fridge how long will you be able to run the RV off from the house battery system. I'm big on boondocking so electric hook up are not available and I don't want to run the generator all the time.. I know this unit comes with the solar but I don't know what size the panel is I think its a 100W but that's not enough to run a fridge 24 hours a day especially with other stuff taking 12 volts also.

Does anybody boondock with this setup or know the draw from these units and how long the batters will run the coach
ncatva500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #2

All Sunseeker classic models built after about September, 2019 have the 12 volt refrigerator. I don't know that the 12 volt fridge has anything to do with the Premium Camper Package, but nonetheless we were told the Premium Camper Package is mandatory, as in you can’t order without this package. There are prior discussions about the expected current draw of this refrigerator. Search on that topic.

Here is a sample thread. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ge-194965.html
Old 06-06-2020, 04:37 PM   #3

I don't know for sure. The dealer sent me the sheet on the unit and it said on that sheet Sunseeker Premium Camper Package and the 12v fridge is just one of the things listed under it. I'm going to have to research this more because if it the only fridge I can get I may have to rethink everything and go backing looking at the 319MB Leprechaun. Thank you for the info and the link to the post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunseeker.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	230886  
Old 06-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #4

One thing I have been curious about is, if you don't get the add on factory solar, does it come prepped at all? And if so with what?
Old 06-06-2020, 05:33 PM   #5

From what I have seen at least on the Sunseeker 3010DS Solar prep comes standard with the sidewall plug.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #6

Thanks. I wasn't sure if that included wiring to the roof or a controller.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:29 PM   #7

After looking at the Sunseeker site you may not have a choice looks like the solar charging system is standard

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/class...c#lg=1&slide=8

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/class...c#lg=1&slide=9
Old 06-06-2020, 07:16 PM   #8

Interesting. I guess I was just wondering what do I really get for that $500 ish. I want solar on the roof but would rather not do the 100 watt panel. SO I was trying to figure out if the wiring to the roof and controller came standard. Then I could just add my own panels up top.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncatva500 View Post
After looking at the Sunseeker site you may not have a choice looks like the solar charging system is standard

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/class...c#lg=1&slide=8

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/class...c#lg=1&slide=9
Read closely. It says pre-wired for solar.

Also curious about the fridge. Is it using propane? A fridge that side running on 12 volts only is going to kill a battery pretty fast. Anyone know the model number?
Old 06-06-2020, 08:06 PM   #10

Here the fridge
WD282FWDC Everchill Refrigerator Frost Free - Double Door - 10 Cubic Feet - 12V DC at 60 Hz Rated current: 2.5 amps.

The 3010 DS that I'm looking at has a 100 w panel on the roof factory set up with the pre-wire sidewall port for an extra suitcase panel. Here the unit's sheet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunseeker.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	230906  
Old 06-06-2020, 08:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgoes211 View Post
Interesting. I guess I was just wondering what do I really get for that $500 ish. I want solar on the roof but would rather not do the 100 watt panel. SO I was trying to figure out if the wiring to the roof and controller came standard. Then I could just add my own panels up top.

That I don't know everything that I can find says pre-wired for the solar side port and the 100 w panel system on the roof. Now I'm good with the single 100w panel to start but would like to know if the controller and wiring wold handle more panels and if not how is the wiring ran can I get more wiring down though and just upgrade the control to handle more wats
Old 06-07-2020, 08:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncatva500 View Post
That I don't know everything that I can find says pre-wired for the solar side port and the 100 w panel system on the roof. Now I'm good with the single 100w panel to start but would like to know if the controller and wiring wold handle more panels and if not how is the wiring ran can I get more wiring down though and just upgrade the control to handle more wats

You and I are on the EXACT same page thought wise. That's why I was asking. From what I can tell, it says its expandable to 500 watt total and they are using the Go Power solar controller. And from what I see all the Go Power kits from 100 watt to 570 watts use the same #10 gauge wire. I would prefer it come pre-wired with controller but minus the 100 watt panel. Then I would install a couple of the 190 watt panels. I am trying to figure out is that extra $500 is just for a panel installed or if its the wiring, controller and panel.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:35 AM   #13

I just fund this on the forum https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ar-187163.html
Old 06-07-2020, 09:53 AM   #14

I guess now I am even more confused.... lol
Old 06-07-2020, 08:57 PM   #15

yea me too after reading that forum. Going to have to do some more research and ask some more questions to the dealer
Old 06-08-2020, 09:47 AM   #16
Citrus County, Fl.

Whatever you decide on, at this stage in the game I would be sure to specify a 2012 chassis so you get the new 7.3 liter V8 and improved instrument panel.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Whatever you decide on, at this stage in the game I would be sure to specify a 2012 chassis so you get the new 7.3 liter V8 and improved instrument panel.
Do you mean 2021 chassis?
Chicken Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:11 PM   #18

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion I'm not one for jumping into the new stuff like that been working for automotive dealers for over 25 years you don't always want the those so-called new and approved thing. Plus once they start hitting the lots the deals may get a little better on the on lot units. I hope to have something before they start hitting anyways..
Old 06-08-2020, 07:17 PM   #19

Quote:
I’m staying away from any new engine introduced by Ford. Y’all do remember the total fiasco the “all new” diesel engines were.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:21 PM   #20

Ok so now let real get this going I posted on one of the RV solar groups that I watch about the fridge and the onboard solar charging system be able to keep up with the fridge draw and here's what I got

Good morning Moak, great questions I will address one at a time.

It appears the fridge is a compressor unit that runs strictly on 12 VDC power.

1) 12V DC at 60 Hz Rated current: 2.5 amps. I don't why they are using these instead of the good old 3 way or 2-way refrigerators butt they are.

There's a problem with that statement, maybe check the source. 60 HZ is for 120 VAC NOT DC. The Everchill website lists that fridge

" Voltage: 12V DC at 60 Hz, Rated current: 2.5 amps"

ALSO on their website I found this statement (by a responder NOT Everchill) in response to a question:
For operating a 12V refrigerator you'll want to use a separate dedicated high amp-hour battery. The Everchill Refrigerator # 324-000119 will draw 11-amps per hour, so for example, this unit powered by a 100-Ah battery (with nothing else drawing power from it) will operate for about 9 hours.

ALSO found this response (NOT from Everchill) to a question:
"spoke to my contact at Way Interglobal about the Everchill Refrigerator part # 324-000119. They informed me that upon startup and until the set temperature is reached, the unit will draw 8-9 amps. Once the set temperature is reached, it will draw around 3 amps to remain at this temperature."

ALSO found this response to a question:
The Everchill Refrigerator for RVs # 324-000119 you referenced draws 11 amps under normal operation. That means every hour it would pull 11 amps from your battery bank. So lets say your battery bank is rated for 220 amps (a common RV deep cycle amp rating), that would mean that it would take 20 hours to totally drain it

THEREFORE I CANT SAY FROM HERE how much ENERGY (Volts x Amps x Time) the fridge requires and that depends on ambient temperature,,,,,,,,,,,how much time doors are open or closed,,,,,, the interior load,,,,,,,,,,,,,,your actual needs and use.

HOWEVER I can tell you its my best educated guess 160 SOLAR WATTS ISNT ENOUGH TO MAINTAIN SUFFICIENT BATTERY CHARGING TO RUN THAT FRIDGE VERY LONG WHEN DRY CAMPING. Remember after the sun goes down and you're operating off stored battery energy you need enough so you don't discharge lead acid batteries over 50% of their capacity, I don't like over 30%. PLUS the battery has to run your other loads like lights and electronics and vent fans and water pump and furnace etc etc etc

2) " The 3010DS also comes with an onboard solar charging system from what I can find out Forest River is using the GOPOWER!, and they call it SolarOnBoard, and is rated at 160 watts and 9.14 amps of charging capacity. to me that nowhere near enough to keep the dual battery bank set up charged enough to be able to run that refrigerator and the rest of the 12-volt stuff when boondocking.

FWIW I think you are CORRECT

First of all to get near that advertised 9.14 amps of charging capacity, you would need good full bright sun nearly direct overhead ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and even if you were charging at the rate of 9.14 amps for say 6 hours per day, that would ONLY yield maybe 55 or so Amp Hours of energy (not THAT MUCH AS EFFICIENCY OF BATTERIES AND CHARGING ISNT 100%) . AS an example my very small dorm sized compressor fridge requires 45 Amp Hours of energy per day do you can bet that larger fridge requires more.

NOTE I purposely did not go into or analyze how much battery capacity you may need ONLY the solar battery charging capacity, that's a whole other topic once an energy audit is performed.

BOTTOM LINE if you want to boondock much time at all and you want to power that fridge PLUS all your other battery fed loads YOURE GONNA NEED A LOT MORE THEN 160 SOLAR WATTS

Nuff said, at this time

John T BSEE, Retired Electrical Engineer and 49 year RV owner less

PS NOT having an energy audit nor knowing yo ur energy needs especially that 12 Volt fridge I might venture a pure "guess" if you want to boondock very long and run that fridge you might be looking at in the neighborhood of APPROXIMATELY say 400 to 600 Watts (a couple 300 Watt panels) of solar and maybe say 400 + battery Amp Hours (like four Trojan T-105 6 Volts in series/parallel) of battery capacity. Again NOTE this is NOT accurate just a rough guess so don't anyone have a calf lol

Id suggest use of an MPPT Solar Charge Controller sized for your needs plus room for expansion,,,A Pure Sine Wave Inverter to suit your needs and allow for expansion,,,,,,,,,,,A Smart 3/4 Stage Converter/Charger,,,,,,,,,,A Battery Monitor system.

While it depends on the time of year and your location, the suns intensity and angle and hours, you might harvest in the neighborhood of 30 to 40+ Amp Hours per day for every 100 Solar Watts. IE if you had 400 solar watts you may harvest 120 to 160+ Amp Hours of energy and your fridge plus other loads might consume say PURE GUESS 100 to 150+. However you need enough stored Amp Hours so overnight you don't discharge more then 50% NEED AN ENERGY AUDIT

Congratulations, you can do this !!!!!!!!!!!

John T

Tags
camping, sunseeker