Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Wanderluster

2300 Shakedown

We just got home from a 1250 mile shakedown of our new Sunseeker 2300. Two nights and 3 days on the road, one night dry and one night with an electric space... It was WINDY!! We took delivery at a small RV dealership in west PA and drove home to SW Nebraska via some of the busiest truck routes I've been on, and wouldn't you know it the wind didn't let up 'till we got about an hour from home.

The last hour of our shakedown was really a joy to drive this RV... not so much so with 40+ MPH sidways wind gusts and steady stream of passing trucks we put up with for the best part of 3 days on the road.

So far, I'm very pleased with the rig. Lot's of power, and though I've read so many reports from folks with poor quality issues out the door, I'm pleased to report that quality of build seems very good so far.

My only design complaints so far are that the converter/fuse cover opens far too easily with a touch. Just bumping against it caused the door to open numerous times on our trip, and I don't like the location of the monitor board as it's difficult to see without contorting.

I've made no effort to track fuel economy yet, but with stiff winds to contend with, I don't expect it was good at all. We're very pleased with the corner bed. Though it takes a bit of practice to make it in the morning, we didn't find getting in and out to be an issue and we found the matress to be outstanding for an RV. FR was wise to move the bathroom sink outside the enclosed bath space to allow more room for bed access with this floorplan.

It took me a bit to get used to the Tow/Haul function, but once I figured it out, the dang thing works! Really nice actually for the hilly areas we encounterd on our trip as long as I remembered to disengage the cruise control.
OffPavement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Great to hear. We started building the 2300 on the E350 (instead of the E450) to get a better ride in a small unit. However, the engineers were wise enough to keep the Triton V-10 (E350 comes standard with the V-8).

Congrats on your new toy, we hope you get great use out of it.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
Wanderluster

E450 vs E350

I wouldn't have bought this rig had it been an E350. It's a leftover 2010 so the price was right. I thought the ride was great, except for the old concrete rest area we pulled into in Ohio... wow was that a short rough ride. Our washboard gravel road here in Nebraska wasn't pleasant either, but we just slowed way down. We wanted the towing ability, as well as being able to load it up with as much as we wanted and I don't think an E350 could come close. Once the coach is loaded, I'm sure the ride will be softer and I'm not so sure I'm in favor of that. Had I had an E350 during the wind we encountered, I doubt it would have handled it as well, though I am basing that on the "better ride" comment about the E350.

Another plus point of the small unit with the E450 chassis is that even parked with very high wind gusts, we heard the wind but it never really rocked the unit.

Other than the Magnadyne radio that doesn't work at all, I give Forest River two thumbs up so far.
OffPavement is offline   Reply With Quote