Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2016, 09:29 PM   #1

2390 suggestions

I see the new 2390 floor plan. How about twin beds?

If I'm not mistaken, a twin bed floor plan is the best seller for both Phoenix Cruiser and Lazy Daze. We'd love one.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:11 AM   #2

I would turn the twin bed floor plan into a king size bed w/ a filler . Room to stretch !
Old 02-02-2016, 10:36 AM   #3
Class C Representative

Keep them coming. We love the ideas!
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #4

I know that most C's are targeted to families with kids. I'm sure that is the meat of the market. But there is also a good sized niche of couples who would trade sleeping for six for some more windows, bigger bath, more counter space, and room to stretch out. My wife and I love the Lazy Daze floor plans and wide open feel. I've always been surprised that no other manufacturer copies any of their floor plans.

Done right, twin beds (with good foam and sleeping surface) can do triple duty. Sleeping, lounging/ TV watching, and dining.

Sleeping: make the foam comfy, and the cover with minimal surface seams and "things".
Lounging: Make it so the head end can be propped up. Probably not super important but it seems like a neat idea. It would really be cool if the whole bed could be made to assume the contour of a reclined lounge chair. Head up and knees up a little.
Dining option 1: Table that raises and lowers. Raise for dining and working. Lower to bed height for night stand. Or as geeman said, lowers to become part of a king bed. That would need another span piece, and flat cushions. I don't care for this myself. I'd rather see...
Option 2: A deep cabinet between the twin beds, with a small pull out table top for eating and working.

I would offer as an option something proprietary but similar to RV Superbags.

By getting rid of the dinette, your floorplan options expand like crazy! So many people hate the dinettes anyway.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Not to rain on the parade (because I'm not against twin beds), but we need to add some perspective.

We have to look at the "good sized niche"
According to Statistical Surveys, In 2015 Lazy Daze retail sold (9) units. 2014 they sold (22). Born Free, another company that does lots of twins...sold (16) units in 2015. Phoenix...(55).

Forest River Retail sold 3,000, Thor sold over 3,000, Winnebago 2715.

It takes a lot of engineering time to create new floor plans. While I think there is a market for twins...I don't think it is that big. Maybe in a true B-van, but not really in a Class C. So its difficult to spend all that engineering time for a floor plan that might sell 50-60 in a year.

Dynamax builds a twin bed and while it does OK, more people buy the REV RB with the drop down Queen bed.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #6

Wow, those numbers are something. Thanks Brian. To use another of my favorite sayings, you are the skunk at the garden party.

I would think that if you exactly copied any LD floorplan, your dealers would still sell a lot more of it than the entire LD volume. It's probably not much about twin beds in the case of those other brands. It's more about distribution and price. But still, I get your point.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #7

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Not to rain on the parade (because I'm not against twin beds), but we need to add some perspective.

We have to look at the "good sized niche"
According to Statistical Surveys, In 2015 Lazy Daze retail sold (9) units. 2014 they sold (22). Born Free, another company that does lots of twins...sold (16) units in 2015. Phoenix...(55).

Forest River Retail sold 3,000, Thor sold over 3,000, Winnebago 2715.

It takes a lot of engineering time to create new floor plans. While I think there is a market for twins...I don't think it is that big. Maybe in a true B-van, but not really in a Class C. So its difficult to spend all that engineering time for a floor plan that might sell 50-60 in a year.

Dynamax builds a twin bed and while it does OK, more people buy the REV RB with the drop down Queen bed.
If you're going to design and build a twin bed floor plan, the twins should turn into a king for maximum versatility. Thor sells a steaming pile of Axis/Vegas 24.1 units with this configuration, which last I looked was their most popular Axis/Vegas floor plan. Similar setups by Winnebago sell pretty well too.

Aside from its excellent style and quality, the appeal of the REV 24RB is in its versatility and flexibility, a concept which is lost with many RV manufacturers.
Daddio62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:53 PM   #8
Commercial Member

The twins on the REV 24TB make into a large bed. The question is do you prefer compartmentalized or open?

For instance. Axis twins have a center bath. So it makes a small living area, compartmented bedroom, but large rear king and the bath is more readily accessible from the entry door.

On the other side. The 23D Winnie Trend has a rear bath. While that makes the bath harder to get to, it also make the interior space feel much larger since it is an open concept.

I doubt we would ever get consensus on that. But if it is more than two people...not sure how the 3rd passenger gets to the rear bathroom without waking up the whole house.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #9
Commercial Member

One more thing, If I had the weight, even with a twin bed design,I would prefer the drop bed myself right over the twins. Just for the sheer fact of it being made up every day. Just raise the bed...mess gone.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
The twins on the REV 24TB make into a large bed. The question is do you prefer compartmentalized or open?

For instance. Axis twins have a center bath. So it makes a small living area, compartmented bedroom, but large rear king and the bath is more readily accessible from the entry door.

On the other side. The 23D Winnie Trend has a rear bath. While that makes the bath harder to get to, it also make the interior space feel much larger since it is an open concept.

I doubt we would ever get consensus on that. But if it is more than two people...not sure how the 3rd passenger gets to the rear bathroom without waking up the whole house.
Good points Brian. After some in-person viewing and analysis, I prefer the open, flexible floor plan of the REV 24RB. This arrangement works well for many reasons, as long as the bed lift mechanism is fast, smooth, and most importantly reliable. I also like the more open feel when looking up at the bottom of the lifted REV bed. Compared to the Trend's more constricted design incorporating those small side cabinets and smaller coach windows, the REV's daytime living area feels considerably more spacious. Nice job!

While the Trend is a very nice coach for its class, when I weigh the factors that are important to me, the REV comes out on top overall. The most glaring things that make me shake my head at the Trend 23(B,L) are its cheap, hideous looking brown counter/table tops, the tiny kitchen sinks and some of the flooring options.

Several inferior kitchen components, along with the plastic toilet, flimsy bedroom mattress and that booty-bumping vinyl shower curtain are some of the areas that WBO tried to save weight on, in order to go with the heavier fiberglass roof. I have trouble getting past those shortcomings on a RV that I could be living with for weeks at a time. Another two cents in the bank...
Old 02-26-2016, 02:56 PM   #11

By way, did the new 2390 get scrapped?

Oops, now I see it under the Ford Transit section
Old 02-26-2016, 03:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
By way, did the new 2390 get scrapped?
Do you mean the 2290?
Old 02-26-2016, 04:53 PM   #13

No, I just lost track of it on the FR page. The 2390 is shown on the Ford Transit chassis.

Sunseeker Motorhomes by Forest River RV

Old 02-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #14

Thor is making a rear slide queen murphy bed walkaround option.
When the slide is closed, there is a bench to sit on.
Interesting ideas in the small B rigs.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:45 PM   #15
2015 Sunseeker 2300

I would take the twin beds as well if I had the option
Gingsnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
Keep them coming. We love the ideas!
With all the ideas about size, room layout, slider design, etc., I'd like to add a couple of different thoughts:

1) If the water system needs to be protected by a pressure regulator, why isn't that included in the unit? It's just a small cost item, even less when bought in bulk, and doesn't add much weight. But it's essential, right, so why leave it to the unsuspecting new owner?

2) Since the electrical system needs to be protected from voltage spikes, shorts, etc., once again why not build the surge protector/EMS right into the unit. Yes there's a small weight tradeoff on this, but if it's essential to protect all the electronics then why not include it and not leave the unknowing owner to their first bad experience?

For comparison, our unit came with pre-installed winterization bypass valve and suction tube. The dealer never used it because they pressure clear the lines and use their own pump system to add antifreeze through the city water connection. I'll probably use it this winter. But just as a point comparison, why was this convenience feature included when essential features were not.

I'd also like to seem some thought given to replacing the "industrial" light switches with regular household type AC switches. Also why mount some of them on the control panel not on the walls where one would expect them? And also why mount the control panel so high in the unit it's hard to reach and see? - and it has no panel light to illuminate the switches in the dark (or should I turn on the house lights and wake everyone up to see what's on/off?).

I just wanted to suggest looking as some of what users would like to see in some of the more overlooked features or one that might be "we've always done it that way" (although in some cases I'm sure there are other reasons...).

Thanks!