Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2019, 09:17 PM   #1

3010DS Dometic 9100 Awning fuse location?

I have a 2012-2013 Sunseeker 3010ds Dometic 9100 awning that quit working in the retracted position 6 months ago. Last time I used it I was retracting it and when I had it all the way in and I released the switch it acted like the motor stayed on and hummed for a few seconds before turning off. After that it was dead. Probably a bad motor now but I need to go over everything one more time, now that the weather is getting better, before I spend a bunch of money on a new motor and rocker switch. Where is the fuse located? On the entry way down low near the steps on the left hand side is a small square removable cover that has a number of things in there including a small relay and maybe a fuse I don't recall right now. Is this where the fuse is located for the motor or is the fuse under the hood near the battery connections? I'm going to try and apply 12vdc right at the motor by disconnecting the connector right at the motor and bypassing all external wiring, see if motor tries to run.. Those two steps should tell me something 1. Is fuse blown 2. Does motor run when applying 12vdc directly to it. 3. Do I have a relay involved with the rocker switch electrical circuit since my awing is very long and may not be standard setup (I haven't measured the length of the awning but I think atleast 12-18 feet long). I haven't been able to find an electrical drawing for the awning motor control circuit. It would probably be a Forest River drawing rather than a Dometic drawing. I have printed out the Dometic Replacement Instructions RH Drive Assembly 6 pages. Wish there was a youtube video to help with motor replacement. Does anyone here have a video link that would be helpful with Dometic motor replacement. Is $300 about the going price for the motor? I've seen some used ones on ebay for much less. Appreciate any help with final troubleshooting. PS: Just replaced the battery today after 5 or 6 years. only 9000 miles on my Sunseeker.

And I found this: Dometic USA Announces Product Recall and Replacement of RV Power Awning Kits. In April 2013, the Company had determined that if an important step was bypassed in the installation of the power awnings, this could potentially damage the awning's motor. As a result, if damage does occur to the motor, the awning can unfurl unexpectedly, while the coach or vehicle is at rest or in transit.

This potential condition affects only the power awning products manufactured between February 13, 2013, (306XXXXX serial #) through April 9, 2013, (314XXXXX serial #). The serial # appears on a label on the right underside of the fabric and on the roller tube. On the power awning field Motor Service Kit the serial # appears on the end cap of the shipping tube.

On April 19, 2013, Dometic notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and a NHTSA campaign number of 13E-019 has been assigned. The Company has identified 27,098 affected units and started replacing units with new awning motor kits even before the official recall notice was issued. The Company has advised its OEMs and aftermarket dealers to call a toll-free number at 1-888-943-4905 for specific replacement instructions. End-user customers are still being notified directly by the company's dealers.

Dometic has also told its aftermarket dealers to instruct their end-user customers not to drive their RV's if the recalled power awnings have been installed on their vehicles. End-user customers who believe their RV may be affected by this recall can obtain specific instructions on how to make the determination or obtain repair by calling the toll–free number 1-888-943-4905.

Rick Anderson
Fast-Lane Communications
randerson@fast-lane.net
(718) 986-1596
humblegoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #2

FYI, I found the 15 amp fuse located on a small circuit board, just to the left of the entry steps behind a small cover plate. The two slide out fuses and circuits were also on this same circuit board. But what I eventually found wrong with the motor was that it was locked up due to corrosion and rust. It would make a thump sound when trying to operate the awning switch but motor would not move. I took the motor off of the awning and cleaned it up, took the back part of the motor off that was secured in place with three allen head screws, cleaned out the rust and corrosion, twisted around on it and it freed up. Reinstalled motor on awning and all works good now.
humblegoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:19 PM   #3

2013 Sunseeker 3010DS Awning Motor Fuse location and circuit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190225_110925.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	197823   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190225_111008.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	328.2 KB