Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2016, 06:57 AM   #1

3010ds door latch

There are two stars headed bolts in door latch. These studs sometimes cause problems when shutting door. Can I remove them? What is their purpose?
izzaboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:21 AM   #2

3010ds door latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by john mcneely View Post
There are two stars headed bolts in door latch. These studs sometimes cause problems when shutting door. Can I remove them? What is their purpose?

You can move them in or out. I think when there is some movement with the door while traveling it can change where they hit the plate on the door frame. I got to a campground one time and couldn't shut my door until I adjusted those bolts you're talking about. I don't remember which way they had to go, but that did the trick. I always carry that tool now in case it needs adjustment again.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:32 AM   #3

The heads of the bolts sometimes do hit the door frame and make it very difficult to shut the door.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:47 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john mcneely View Post
That is a DOT requirement in case of an accident as I recall. It is only for motorhomes. Trailers won't have those latches...no one is riding in while in transit.

There are two ways to do it. Those two bolts, or you can use an automotive rotary latch. Looks like like a car door latch with a bolt on the frame of the door/car and a c shaped latch that rotates around that bolt when the door closes.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:42 PM   #5

What are their purpose?
Old 05-04-2016, 07:50 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Required to comply with FMVSS Standards. They are there to prevent ejection and the door has to pass certain testing requirements. A single plunger, by itself would not pass the test. Those bolts basically strengthen the latch assembly so that it can withstand the testing forces.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:34 PM   #7

I had problems on a trip to Alaska where the door was coming unlatched....the deadbolt kept it from actually opening but it was not tight. Playing around with the adjustment on those bolts seemed to help the problem.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door