Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #1

3010DS Electric Water Heater

I'm in my first full trip worth my new rv... loving it! Stupid question. There are 2 switches for the water heater, gas and electric. I flip the gas and I hear the flame and everything firing (good). When I flip the electric switch, I don't "hear" anything. That ok? Short of trading the water in 30 minutes or so, is there a way to see it's working correctly?
jjlavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlavin View Post
I'm in my first full trip worth my new rv... loving it! Stupid question. There are 2 switches for the water heater, gas and electric. I flip the gas and I hear the flame and everything firing (good). When I flip the electric switch, I don't "hear" anything. That ok? Short of trading the water in 30 minutes or so, is there a way to see it's working correctly?
The electric heating element is very quiet when energized. If you go outside to your water heater access door and listen carefully, you can usually hear some faint noise as it starts heating the water up..................but probably won't be able to hear anything from inside the RV.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #3

I hear a very faint whistling - like sound. Is that ok?
jjlavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:15 PM   #4

The biggest concern with using the electric is to make sure the water heater is full. If it isn't, the heating element will burn itself out very quickly.

If you're sure it's full of water, then leave the gas off, turn on the electric, and if you get hot water in 10-15 minutes, you'll know it's working.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #5

I usually use my electric only until we get ready to use the shower. No need wasting gas when you are already paying for electric at the campsite. I then flip on gas in addition to electric to help keep up with demand.
rsscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlavin View Post
I hear a very faint whistling - like sound. Is that ok?
http://www.rheem.com/docs/FetchDocum...e-31877e04001b

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:36 PM   #7

On mine are there are three switches; the circuit breaker and the external (outside) switch for the electric hotwater, and a wall switch for the gas hot water.

Making sure the by pass by line is turned off I run a little water through the hot water in the sink. I turn on the gas for a about 10 minutes to verify the water is warming, then I turn off the gas and flip both the circuit breaker and the external switch for electric hot water. I alway flip the circuit breaker off and the external switch when I break camp to prevent me from forgetting to load the water heater with water thus saving the element.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, heater, water, water heater