Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGuy View Post
Some pics of your undercarriage and the proposed mounting location would be useful. I can compare them to my rig for possible spots. Having done some pump and oil cooler installs on some undercarriages in the past, if things are tight I would be thinking mounting bracket from a machine shop. Make a wood mockup and then take it to a machine shop to have it made out of angle iron etc. While you're at it think about a skid plate or debris shield add on

Based on the hose lengths that came with the kit and available space on the outboard side of the frame the described location is the only place to fit it. If I do not attach it to the frame I can put it in a bin on the left or right. I really don't want to do that. There are several places on the inside of the frame but I won't have simple access to the emergency bypass switch. I guess I might have to get some new hoses. If I get new hoses and increase the electrical connections I can move it by the spar tire. But before I do that I was looking to see if anyone can look at their installation on the sun seeker and get me a picture.

I will take some pictures Friday.
parpar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #22

On my unit (3171) the entire pump and ram are mounted right around the firewall area of the chassis on the outside of the frame. My photo shows the rams in the front but unfortunately I don't have a photo of them where they are mounted on the chassis and the coach is still in the shop for warranty work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front leveler (1024x768).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	48612  
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
On my unit (3171) the entire pump and ram are mounted right around the firewall area of the chassis on the outside of the frame. My photo shows the rams in the front but unfortunately I don't have a photo of them where they are mounted on the chassis and the coach is still in the shop for warranty work.
Do you have one pump per ram?. The more expesive system has a pump and fluid tank for each ram.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by parpar1 View Post
Do you have one pump per ram?. The more expesive system has a pump and fluid tank for each ram.
yes I do. A factory install. If you look to the right of the ram in the foreground you will see the pump box.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:18 AM   #25

Quote:
yes I do. A factory install. If you look to the right of the ram in the foreground you will see the pump box.
LUCKY.

I am going to look at separating the distribution valves from the pump assy and see if that buys me anything.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #26

Quote:
LUCKY.

I am going to look at separating the distribution valves from the pump assy and see if that buys me anything.
The photo was to help you compare that location to your unit. That won't work? Forest River didn't have front brackets installed just the rear ones?
Old 03-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #27

Quote:
The photo was to help you compare that location to your unit. That won't work? Forest River didn't have front brackets installed just the rear ones?
My system does not have a separate pump per ram. I have the cheaper system that has the valves, tank and pump centrally located on one big panel. And based on the lengths of the lines they sent me i am stuck placing it about mid coach.

FR welded on the brackets for the rams only. So i am good on mounting the rams it is just the stupid valve / tank / pump assembly.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #28

Quote:
My system does not have a separate pump per ram. I have the cheaper system that has the valves, tank and pump centrally located on one big panel. And based on the lengths of the lines they sent me i am stuck placing it about mid coach.

FR welded on the brackets for the rams only. So i am good on mounting the rams it is just the stupid valve / tank / pump assembly.
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you HAD the one pump - one ram system.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you HAD the one pump - one ram system.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #30

I got the system up and running.
a few notes.
The passenger side front ram will go higher up on the frame then the drivers side will. I did the passenger side first positioning the ram up as hgh as i could (8 inches of clearance to the ground). Then I did the drivers side and found out it would not go up as high (7 inches of ...) So back to the passenger side. I had to unbolt it and move it down so they matched.

Pump install. I placed the pump assy on the passenger side just fwd of the propane tank. I ended up drilling two new holes and using 3 bolts ( top bolt is a hook bolt over the top of the frame). This placed the emergency switch almost even with the bottom of the storage bin box. And the fluid fill hole with no access. For access to the fill hole in the tank I ended up cutting a large hole in the back of the bin to allow access. I will cover the hole with a storage bin screw on cover, like the Sewer line hose or power cord go thru. The bottom of the pump assy is even with the bottom of the heat shield running along the frame back there. Using a hand pump it was very easy reaching thru the hole to fill the tank. I used a small stick as a dip stick. Now for the hose lines.

I paired the hoses up and marked each set left/right/fwd/rear...I also marked each hose separately "extend" and "retract" hose positions. I also taped off the ends to keep dirt out of the hoses while pulling them thru the frame. longer hoses in the front the the shorter hoses in the rear.

I hooked them to the rams and then the valves on the pump assembly. Guess what? You cant get to a wrench on the valve fittings when the pump assembly is installed. So i unbolted the pump assy, dropped it down on the floor jack and was able to twist it around just enough to get a wrench on all the fittings. Oh you also have to tighten the hoses before you tighten the fittings to the valve body. Allowing the fittings to swing lets you get a wrench on the hose nuts. Ii Bolted it all back together. Plugged in the control panel and pushed extend. MAGIC!!!!!!!!!

I cant tell you what a relief it was to see the ram brackets welded on already. Probably 8 hours of hands on time. I am not including the "over thinking everything" hours. I am so glade i did this upgrade.

I still need to fish the control box wire into the RV, screw on the round cover in the bin and secure all the wiring and hoses. About another hour or two.
I will post pictures when i get a chance.

If i think of more i will post it, I hope this helps someone down the road.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #31

More notes.
After you crimp the lugs on the power cables wrap them in electrical tape to create a moisture barrier.

After you connect the controller cable connector to the one on the pump assembly wrap it to.

I ended up routing the control panel cable over to where the wires come up just behind the driver seat on the floor near the door. If you pull the plastic body panel cover in the drivers side foot well / entry step, you will see a ton of wires running front to back. just under the plastic black wire routing cover there is a body plug. If you pull that out you can fish the control panel wire bundle thru that hole, up and around the plastic wire routing cover. Then run it along the rest of the wire aft. put the foot well / step cover back in place. it snaps in place. It is now stored under the driver seat in a Tupperware bowl. PERFECT.

Bolting the feet on to the rams was a pain. Save installing them for last so they are not in your way. When turning the nut to tighten the feet on to the rams, the ram cylinder rotates with it. Luckily i had a 1/4 inch thick piece of rubber i was able to wrap around them, I then grab that with channel locks to keep from damaging the ram cylinder.

Wish the pump assembly was on rubber mounts. The pump motor is really loud. Some vibration isolation would help that a bunch. Maybe one day if it really does bug me i will cut some skate board truck cushions in 1/2 and install them between the frame and pump assy.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #32

Pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-03-30 13.39.05.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	48996   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-30 13.31.03.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	48997   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-30 13.31.17.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	48998   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-30 13.31.36.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	48999   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-28 15.40.13.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	49000  

Name:	2014-03-28 15.40.40.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	49001   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-28 15.41.24.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	49002   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-28 15.42.39.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	49003   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-29 16.35.36.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	49004   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-28 18.19.49.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	49005  

Old 04-02-2014, 10:14 AM   #33

few more
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-03-29 17.14.47.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	49006   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-29 16.36.16.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	49007  
Old 04-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #34

Nice work. Looks like a factory install.

Bobby
Old 04-03-2014, 06:38 PM   #35

Very nice work... I am saving this post for my summer install of Bigfoot.
osgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #36

Let me know if you ever need a picture of something to help you get it done.

One last thing i almost forgot. A good old $1.29 Bulls eye bubble level from ACE Hardware. Now i am done.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #37

Just curious, what size Tupperware, bowl or flat. Tired of stepping on wires. I think Bigfoot makes a wireless controller.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #38

Crap Garrette sorry i did not see this. I was not happy with the tub i had. i need to find one with a bigger foot print and cut the top down to get it under the seat.

Anyways used the levelers twice and love it. it is so much better then having to jump in and out moving blocks of wood...... Love having them!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #39

Quote:
Let me know if you ever need a picture of something to help you get it done.

One last thing i almost forgot. A good old $1.29 Bulls eye bubble level from ACE Hardware. Now i am done.

Did you get a cross bar for the rear jacks?
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:51 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Did you get a cross bar for the rear jacks?
Yes my kit had it included.