Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
Senior Members

3010DS portable water

Another newbee quedtion. On the passenger side of the MH toward the back there is a portable water access point. I did not think there was 2 places for entering water into the fresh water tank. I know of the one on the drivers side which is used for connecting to city water. What is the difference?

2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Butch & Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #2
Site Team

The city water connection is used to provide water when you have water hookup at your site, It does not use the fresh water tank or the on board pump. It does not fill the water tank if working properly, The other connection is used to fill the fresh water tank. The on board pump will then draw water from the tank to supply the MH

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
Senior Members

Thanks! So when getting it winterized do i need to do anything other then empty the tank?

2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Butch & Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
Site Team

Drain the fresh water tank via low point drain. DO NOT put antifreeze in the FWT. If you blow the lines with compressed air ( less than 30 Lbs) Bypass then drain water heater ( open relief valve before draining WH. then add pink stuff ( till comes out EVERY faucet, toilet etc) via winterizing kit at water pump, you will be be fine. If you do not have compressor, open hot and cold low point drains and all faucets. Once drains stop, close and add pink antifreeze. Remember to sanitize FWT and system in Spring.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 12-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #5

I think I did something wrong with my winterize. I put antifreeze in the fwt because there was no other way to get it in the lines (I think?). What problem did I cause now?
jjlavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlavin View Post
I think I did something wrong with my winterize. I put antifreeze in the fwt because there was no other way to get it in the lines (I think?). What problem did I cause now?
It will just be a pain to get the antifreeze all out of the FWT. Fill the tank with 10-15 gallons of water and drain it several times and you should be good.

As for winterizing there are two other ways, you can use a hand pump to put antifreeze in through the city water connection or install a winterizing kit on the suction side of the water pump. There is a valve and suction line as part of the kit so you can use the on board pump to suck the antifreeze out of the gallon jugs.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
Site Team

Find the water pump. You may have a winterizing valve already, It will be in line just before the intake on the pump. If you do not, you can easily add one ( no special tools required) for < $20, Then you put the open end of the siphon tube in the jug of antifreeze and open the valve and run the pump. When your done leave the valve in winterizing position until you purge in spring,

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 12-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchs View Post
Thanks! So when getting it winterized do i need to do anything other then empty the tank?
There are a number of things that need to be done. Drain the hot and cold water lines, drain the water heater, bypass the water heater, pump antifreeze into all the lines (including sinks, toilet, shower, outside shower, etc) make sure the city water line is filled if the on-board pump is used, make sure some antifreeze gets into the sink and shower traps, both waste tanks, water filter housing after filter is removed. It's not hard if you are familiar with your piping systems and equipment. Just use common sense to know where any water may be hanging out.

However if you are unsure it may be best for you to have a shop do it while you watch and learn for next time.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Find the water pump. You may have a winterizing valve already, It will be in line just before the intake on the pump. If you do not, you can easily add one ( no special tools required) for < $20, Then you put the open end of the siphon tube in the jug of antifreeze and open the valve and run the pump. When your done leave the valve in winterizing position until you purge in spring,

They don't come with the valve already installed....or I should say mine didn't which is a 2015 3010ds. As mentioned easy to install except on mine you have to be a bit of a contortionist since the water pump is jammed in the corner with very little room on the input side.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #10

My 2014 3010ds did not come standard w/ winter bypass kit, but salesman threw it in to sweeten the deal. It is a must have in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #11

Dont forget the outside shower
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water