Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2018, 07:57 AM   #1

3011 DS 2018 Forester first trip

We are about 1/3 the way thru our first trip with our new unit and are very pleased with most of our experiences thus far.
The computer that controls everything has been a learning experience for us, but we have it mostly etched in our brain. The wife loved the fact that she was able to retract the awning a couple nights ago from her bed, loves turning the lights on and off with the i-phone, I like the monitor screen that shows everything in a second from my living room. Having all the owners manuals right there is also very handy.
As i stated earlier this trip is an escape from the cold trip along with an unhurried chance for me to change things (mostly cosmetic) to our liking. I've discovered a peel and stick wall tile from Home Depot that is extremely light and looks good. i did the whole kitchen wall between the counter and the cabinets, and an accent stripe in the bathroom. Huge difference, brings some color to the boring factory look.
I changed the plastic toilet to a porcelain unit and besides having a more quiet and sturdy fixture i also have almost two inches of extra leg room because the design mounts closer to the rear wall. I bought the Dometic 310 unit with slow close seat and i was able to plumb in the original hand sprayer that wifey loves. Was able to get it from Lazydays for $139 (CW wanted $40 more).
I'm not a huge fan of the Waste Master dump system yet, but I'm using it and it works well. There are a couple attachment that i want to buy for it, but being on the road for three months makes it hard to order any parts.
Today or the next cloudy day i'm adding two vent covers to the roof vents, can't believe they gave me four vents, two are power.
I also had all the coach windows tinted, i forgot to ask for them when we ordered and this Florida sun is brutal, luckily there are a lot of companies doing tinting down here so the price was not bad.
i have a couple more projects in the planning stage and hope to complete them in the near future.

I have a question about handling that i hope to get answers for, I don't have any problems with the rig but i notice it's a bit tender with cross winds and big rigs passing (not bad, i don't even notice it after a while). My last unit (Jayco) had Blisteen shocks and sway bar and was not as tender as this one. has anyone added ride improvements ??? I also haven't tried adjusting the rear air bags, I only have a 12 volt compressor that screws on the valve stem and that won't work on the small volume air bags. i don't know if the rear bags will effect handling.
Hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #2

I have a 2016 3011 and have made several posts related to improving "driveablity". I was not completely happy until I completed all of these steps although each step did improve some aspect of driving and may or may not be necessary depending on what kind of driving experience you are looking for. In my case since I am currently the sole driver and needed to equip the vehicle to reduce driver fatigue as much as possible, the combination of the steps below have done what I needed. The final step this year probably will be to replace the front shocks to improve the ride under the front cab. Other that that I think I am done with suspension improvements.

Also, first step would be to adjust the air bag inflation to match your driving requirements. I typically inflate them anywhere from 60lbs (light load, short trip, no toad) to 80lbs (heavy load, long trip, towing a car). Of course, this applies to my current setup with the suspension improvements so you just need to try a couple of different settings to see what works best for you.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-145963-2.html

I've taken a number of steps to improve steering and "driveability" with each step adding an incremental improvement. I added a final piece (Blue OX Tru-Center) after a 4000 mile round trip to Denver where I experienced a variety of driving conditions. At this point it finally drives reasonably well for a large truck with a sizable overhang.

Modifications
Installed sleeve to add caster
Electronic front end alignment from a good truck shop
New front and rear Hellwig sway bars
Supersteer tracbar
Blue Ox Tru-center

PS With the exception of the caster sleeve and alignment I did all the work myself saving a lot of money.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:13 AM   #3

Any pics of the tile work ?

I have kept the air bags at 70 psi with both flat towing our Jeep, and no towing which seems good to me. I am still stock with the RV suspension, and have had no issues with the ride or handling ( Hoping it stays that way).

Some here don’t like the system, but the wife and I do like being able to control the lighting and awning with our phones. Walking back to the RV after dark ( or driving) and being able to turn on outside lighting / enterior lighting so you can see is nice !

Enjoy your trip and post some camping pics if you can !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:56 AM   #4

I would love to see any pics of the tile work as well!
Melntb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester