Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #1

3050/3051S bathroom door latch problem

Has anyone else with a 3050/3051s had the same problem as I have? When using the Bigfoot levelers in a not-so-level site, many times the front wheels are lifted off the ground and the levelers reach their maximum lift, the bathroom door will not latch. Evidently this puts a flex or twist on the chassis enough to cause this problem. If you have had this situation, what did you do about it? I've tried to put blocks under the front Bigfoot feet, but it just seems to make it worse. Thanks for any help
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #2

my bath door does not close correctly when my frame is flexed on an un-level lot...

I glued levels on all four corners of my trailer and i check all of them when leveling... someone inside tries the door, and I adjust the "levelness" of the trailer until the door actually works... I figure this is the least stressful on the frame and I never notice inside the trailer...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

I suggest you put blocks under the tires so they are not in the air. Then you can put blocks under the jacks if you need more height. Torquing the frame is never a good idea.
YMMV
Old 06-13-2018, 05:13 PM   #4

Have you checked that the auto level is actually properly leveling the coach. It is possible that the calibration is off and is putting the coach in a unlevel position.
Check after it auto levels with a bubble type level in a few different spots.If it is off follow the procedure in the manual to calibrate the system.
I have found that sometimes manually leveling the coach works better and faster.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #5

level

I had this happen the last time out. Front wheels off the ground no matter I did, the doors seemed ok. You might want to re-cal it.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:49 PM   #6

Bought mine brand new last May and the batheroom door opens going down the road. So does the bedroom tv. And several other cheaply made things.
jpatten71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatten71 View Post
Bought mine brand new last May and the batheroom door opens going down the road. So does the bedroom tv. And several other cheaply made things.
a VERY simple fix for all these type of problems:

close the door while watching very closely where the striker on the door mates with the plate mounted on the door jamb. You will find the striker does not mate in the center opening and this lets the door just swing open without turning the handle.

Remove the plate and use a Dremel tool with a metal cutting bit or a cutoff wheel to enlarge the opening so that the striker does "catch" the plate.

Reinstall the plate and you are not quite done. You will need a chisel to remove any wood that was behind your newly enlarged opening in the plate.

This simple 5 minute process will solve your problem.

Tags
305, bathroom, door, roo