Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2017, 09:36 PM   #1

3051S fridge bug screen?

okay guys, I'm buying all the screens to cover all my vents but can't find an exact fit for the fridge. I know this one will fit on the 3 slots of the door panel but what do I do with the smaller openings outside the door panel? do I have to buy another set and start cutting?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42149-F...tor+bug+screen

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:15 AM   #2

Refer screens

Just went through this last week. The screens you pointed to will cover the center large vents perfectly as you expect. What I did for the 6 side vents was buy a set of the shorter (8") screens and cut them down. First I made a template of the pattern from card stock and used that to cut the screens. The precut radius on the end is correct. I made two from each 8" piece using the ends. A bit of a pain to cut even with the proper tools.
When you attach them get good quality UV resistant (black) wire ties. They provide some crappy ones with the screens but not enough to adequately secure the screens.
It very tight to get behind the end vents to secure them, a pair of needle nose pliers or hemostats will help a lot. You could also remove the complete vent but you will then have to deal with resealing it to the sidewall.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:34 AM   #3
SRN

Agree with Steve-W regarding using new zip ties. The zip ties provided are (1) useless, and (2) not nearly enough to secure the screen. Another tip I learned the hard way - when you cut off the ends of the top rail to shorten the screen, you end up with razor blade sharp ends. Didn't take much to slice open my thumb when I grabbed them.
SRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #4

thanks for the info. might hit my local hardware store (yes, my town still has one!) and see if they have any screen material that I could cut to fit the small sections. IF not, I'll do what you guys have done and buy the shorter set and cut them down to size.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:56 PM   #5

DIY Bug Screens

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJcachers View Post
okay guys, I'm buying all the screens to cover all my vents but can't find an exact fit for the fridge. I know this one will fit on the 3 slots of the door panel but what do I do with the smaller openings outside the door panel? do I have to buy another set and start cutting?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42149-F...tor+bug+screen
I shopped HD and picked up aluminum screen 36"x 72" for under $10. Then using my kitchen shears, I fashioned covers for every hole and gap for the Fridge, Furnace, Water Heater, & Stove Vent. I attached all screens with Hi Temp glue gun sticks. Have traveled several thousand miles with no bugs and haven't lost a screen. BTW, you can cover any potential mouse entry points from below with screen wire patches. They don't like the taste any better than steel wool or scouring pads. Stay vermin free with the scraps, too!

Good Camping ............. Swampy
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #6

I have two refrigerator vent openings on outside of fiver. The vent covers are black in color. I used black nylon screen to cover the opening, held on with hot glue used in crafts. I painted the glue with black spray paint to match the cover. I towed the fiver from Louisiana to Idaho and back, screens are still attached.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #7

You buy buy the screens for Fridge you have, one is for Dometic and different one for Norcold.
traindrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:15 PM   #8

Look up 'mud dauber screen' on Amazon. They sell the little screens for the sides of the vents for the larger fridges. It is not Camco brand. If you can't find them I'll send you a link
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #9

These screens sound like a very good idea,,,, however I have never had any bugs nest in our fridge vents ??? Not sure why,,, we have a lot of MudDobbers !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
Look up 'mud dauber screen' on Amazon. They sell the little screens for the sides of the vents for the larger fridges. It is not Camco brand. If you can't find them I'll send you a link

Found them but $21 for a set of 3 and I'll need 6 total! Talk about gouging!

Old 03-26-2017, 08:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJcachers View Post
Found them but $21 for a set of 3 and I'll need 6 total! Talk about gouging!
Make yer own !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:04 PM   #12

Wow. Wish I had a picture. Worth a thousand words.

Thank for your ideas.

Tom
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #13

I agree with Swampy. I bought a roll of aluminum screening (much cheaper than the custom screens they sell), cut it with tin snips, and put it on with heat tape or zip ties. Was able to do all the openings in my tt and plenty left over if I need a redo. 2 years and its still on nice and tight and no bugs. Cincia

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
305, fridge