Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 02:55 PM   #21

OK !! I found the elusive screw, took it out and the seal slid down nicely. Thanks for all you help. Now to see if I can figure out what's wrong with the motor.
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #22

It may be inside. If so, at bottom would be most likely. You might try pushing or pulling the seal up or down to identify what is holding it in place.
dyeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #23

OK, the seal is out of the way now, but I don't see how you could get the motor out or even disengage it. There is only about 3/4" clearance and I can barely even touch the motor. The flap type seal is also in the way. ???
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
Old 07-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #24

you need an drive extension attached to a drill or something as shown in the film to get into the top screw of the motor. Once removed you can slide the motor up out of the way and disengage the track.

wogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #25

On the wall you exposed by dropping the seal, there is a screw that secures the motor in place. Removing that screw theoretically would enable you to carefully pry the motor upward to disengage it.

However, since your slide is jammed, same as ours was, I'm thinking that you will need to relieve some of the stress on the rear end slide mechanism.

We did that by disengaging the motor on the front end of the slide, then pulling that end out to an extension similar or greater than the rear. This gave more access to that rear motor as well as freeing up component stress.

I also had a friend working with me on opposite end of the slide.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:46 PM   #26

Well, I finally got a mobile RV tech out here and with a lot of work, we got the slide back in so I can drive it to a repair shop....probably will have to wait several weeks to get it in though. RV tech said that the cable to the rear motor got pinched somehow and shorted out and he thinks that it damaged the controller module or the "motherboard", as he called it. Quite a struggle to get the motors disengaged so we could manually shove the slide in. It was really cocked and jammed tight. Found out that the motors on this MH were not secured by a screw, but had a spring that held them down and engaged, so had to remove the springs from each motor to disengage them. They sure don't make these things easy to service and work on. Thanks to all for the help and advise. Special thanks to Dyeats.
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
Old 07-25-2017, 12:24 AM   #27

Sounds like the motor attach changed between our 2016 coach and your 2017. Our controller gave us probably the same error code: "wire short between controller and motor". We did manage to get ours into the shop very quickly since we had parts on order for another issue. What techs have told us so far is that we need new motor and a new vertical shaft. They haven't said anything about having to replace the controller.
I am most interested in learning what caused the short and exactly where it was. Then I'd like to compare notes with you since yours sounds like a near duplicate situation. Could be interesting.
Btw, we're fellow northwesterners from Orting, WA
Old 07-25-2017, 05:45 AM   #28
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOneil43 View Post
Went out today to move the slide out in. Hit the "in" switch as usual and the front started moving in, but the back did not. Now it seems to be jammed and won't move in OR out! This is the full wall slide with the dual motors. Has anyone else ever had this problem and what did you do...can't drive it this way..it's parked in our driveway. HELP!
Cray Cray can get in and out manually and then try the Electric again. Mine got jammed a few weeks ago and that worked.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:05 AM   #29
"On the road again"

Here's another video that might help - this happened to use several years ago and I had to call a mobile repair guy out. He had to unscrew ALL of the screws for the slide and actually pull it out partially to get to it.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:10 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyeats View Post
Sounds like the motor attach changed between our 2016 coach and your 2017. Our controller gave us probably the same error code: "wire short between controller and motor". We did manage to get ours into the shop very quickly since we had parts on order for another issue. What techs have told us so far is that we need new motor and a new vertical shaft. They haven't said anything about having to replace the controller.
I am most interested in learning what caused the short and exactly where it was. Then I'd like to compare notes with you since yours sounds like a near duplicate situation. Could be interesting.
Btw, we're fellow northwesterners from Orting, WA
Well, I'm calling around this morning to try to find someplace that can check it out and work on it. Everyone seems to be booked up and we have a trip planned for the 24th of Aug. Meanwhile, we have a couple of lengths of 4 x 4 holding the slide in so we can drive it (carefully) to repair shop. Will keep you updated, and again thanks for all your help, Dyeats.
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
Old 07-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #31

Is your rig still covered under the FR warranty? If it is you may be able call them to identify factory certified repair shops.
I talked to a mobile RV repair guy in our area. He told me that he is certified for repair by some manufacturers. And by some/ ext. warranty companies. Of course you'd want to get authorization before proceeding. Anyway, just a thought.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:39 AM   #32

Quote:
Is your rig still covered under the FR warranty? If it is you may be able call them to identify factory certified repair shops.
I talked to a mobile RV repair guy in our area. He told me that he is certified for repair by some manufacturers. And by some/ ext. warranty companies. Of course you'd want to get authorization before proceeding. Anyway, just a thought.
Yeah, my FR warranty ran out in May, but I have a 7 year extended warranty that should apply. $200 deductible, though. I called around yesterday and found most shops are booked up until late Sept or Oct !! Called Camping World, who has done work for me before, and they said they will get me in on Aug 3rd, which was great, as we have a trip planned for the end of Aug. Both motors still seem to work, am not sure about the control box. I do know that one cable is pinched. Keeping my fingers crossed. I need to get prior authorization from my warranty company on anything over $500......We'll see what happens.
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
Old 07-28-2017, 10:17 AM   #33

At what location did that cable pinch take place. Wouldn't it be an interesting "coincidence" if mine was pinched at the same location?
Old 07-28-2017, 06:57 PM   #34

Quote:
At what location did that cable pinch take place. Wouldn't it be an interesting "coincidence" if mine was pinched at the same location?
It looks like about halfway down the length of the cable. It was the cable to the rear motor, which was the side of the slide that did not move when I tried to bring the slide in. Not sure what pinched it. Maybe they can shed more light on the cause when I get it into the shop next Thursday.
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
Old 07-28-2017, 07:20 PM   #35
Citrus County, Fl.

Jim, I am sure you will, but please do keep us posted. I trust you always do the 5 second rule when rolling it in or out to keep the motors synchronized.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Jim, I am sure you will, but please do keep us posted. I trust you always do the 5 second rule when rolling it in or out to keep the motors synchronized.
Yeah, I always count to 8 0r 9 before I release the switch.
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
Old 07-31-2017, 06:28 AM   #37

3051S Slide jammed...what do I do?

I had the same issue on my 3051 showing a short to the rear motor. The override did work and I was able to get the slide in AFTER I realized I had a bad battery with a dry cell and replaced both batteries. Removing power from the coach overnight, which left the controller totally discharge and reset with the new batteries, fixed my issue. Dealer checked everything and said it was good to go but did clean and lube the slide for me and now it runs like butter!

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:48 PM   #38

OK, Our MH went into the shop yesterday at Camping World. Waiting for a diagnosis, which we probably won't get until at least Monday. Contacted our extended warranty people, which is "XtraRide". They said they will give approval right over the phone when CW calls them with a diagnosis and repair cost. Keeping our fingers crossed that we can get it back by the 18th for our next trip.
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
Old 08-05-2017, 03:34 PM   #39

Best of luck on your repairs.
Mine has been in the shop since about July 10. When they attempted to replace the rear motor, they discovered that the upper rack was destroyed in the jam up. That rear rack is on special order from LCI, will take 5-7 days to manufacture, then shipping. Hoping we'll have it back in time for a planned trip on 8/24. We found that bed frame is separating from the stress of the Jam up.

I'm asking why all of this occurred, and don't have an answer yet, but I think I have their attention. I kinda suspect that the controller should have been able to detect that one motor (front) was moving without the other (rear). In other words, is the controller also bad?
Old 08-09-2017, 01:17 PM   #40

Well, we got the bad news today from CW. The good news is that the slide motors, the control box, and even the cable are just fine. The bad news is that they found that something had impacted and created a hole on the underside of the slide. It remains a mystery as to why and how this happened, but they now say, since the damaged area is so near the path where one of the rollers runs, if they just patched the area, it wouldn't last. Sooo..they have to completely remove the slide and replace the whole bottom panel on the slide. At least a 2 week repair and hopefully will be covered by our insurance, since it was not a warrantable repair. OH the joys of RVing !! Cancelled our upcoming trip, needless to say.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3245.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	147696  
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)

Tags
305, slide