Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #1

3051S Slide jammed...what do I do?

Went out today to move the slide out in. Hit the "in" switch as usual and the front started moving in, but the back did not. Now it seems to be jammed and won't move in OR out! This is the full wall slide with the dual motors. Has anyone else ever had this problem and what did you do...can't drive it this way..it's parked in our driveway. HELP!
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:46 PM   #2

Are you level?
Old 07-23-2017, 05:11 PM   #3

Jim , have same MH as you but haven't had the same problem. Below the stove you will see a small panel held in with six screws, remove this and you will see the slide control brain. There are instructions on the brain on how to over ride and be able to bring slide in. Good luck . If this doesn't work go on line and look for instructions on how to lift the motors and then get a small army to help push it in manually .
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:11 PM   #4

I have a 2016 3051S and had same issue 2 weeks ago. Since it happened in my driveway also, I waited till Monday to phone dealership for advice.
They pointed out the obvious, that I would need to get the slide retracted and bring it in. 3 potential methods:
1. Based on operating instructions, attempt the electronic over-ride and retract slide as usual.
2. If that doesn't work, Manual override. Locate the slide motors. From outside at each end of the slide the motors are located above the upper gear rack behind the vertical seal on the side of the Motor home. (removing a screw at the base of the seal willl allow it so slide downward.) Now there is a screw that secures the motor in place that must be removed to disengage the motor from the gears. Once the motors on both ends of the slide have been disengaged, you should be able to manually push the slide in to the motor home.
Here is a link to a troubleshooting youtube video by the slide manufacturer, Lippert Controls.
It turned out that our rear slide motor went out and the vertical shaft that engaged with the motor was damaged in the incident. Motor home is still in the shop.
3. If you can't do # 1 or 2, you will likely need to call mobile RV repair service who can retract the slide, and may also be able to do the subsequent repairs to the slide mechanisms.
dyeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyeats View Post
I have a 2016 3051S and had same issue 2 weeks ago. Since it happened in my driveway also, I waited till Monday to phone dealership for advice.
They pointed out the obvious, that I would need to get the slide retracted and bring it in. 3 potential methods:
1. Based on operating instructions, attempt the electronic over-ride and retract slide as usual.
2. If that doesn't work, Manual override. Locate the slide motors. From outside at each end of the slide the motors are located above the upper gear rack behind the vertical seal on the side of the Motor home. (removing a screw at the base of the seal willl allow it so slide downward.) Now there is a screw that secures the motor in place that must be removed to disengage the motor from the gears. Once the motors on both ends of the slide have been disengaged, you should be able to manually push the slide in to the motor home.
Here is a link to a troubleshooting youtube video by the slide manufacturer, Lippert Controls.
It turned out that our rear slide motor went out and the vertical shaft that engaged with the motor was damaged in the incident. Motor home is still in the shop.
3. If you can't do # 1 or 2, you will likely need to call mobile RV repair service who can retract the slide, and may also be able to do the subsequent repairs to the slide mechanisms.
Was your slide actually jammed? Mine seems to be jammed and won't go in or out.
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
Old 07-23-2017, 06:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Are you level?
Yes, pretty level. Has worked fine in this same location many times before.
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
Old 07-23-2017, 06:30 PM   #7

Yes it was. Your description sounds exactly like ours. Since it was jammed it was very challenging to get that rear motor out. After. the front motor was out, we pulled out front of slide to relieve stress on the rear motor.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Yes it was. Your description sounds exactly like ours. Since it was jammed it was very challenging to get that rear motor out. After. the front motor was out, we pulled out front of slide to relieve stress on the rear motor.
I don't see any access to get to the motor...Is it located in the slide or in the MH wall? Here is a pic of the area and the only thing I see is a couple of screws along the the top holding a corner piece. ??
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:39 AM   #9

Here is picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3241.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	145907  
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #10

In this,picture, what you are looking for is behind the rubber seal at the end of the track above the window.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
In this,picture, what you are looking for is behind the rubber seal at the end of the track above the window.
How do you get the rubber seal out of the way?
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #12

On the motor is located above the horizontal gear rack behind the long vertical seal on the right hand side of the picture. You can gain access or visibility of the motor by sliding that seal down. Remove a retainer screw thru the seal close to the bottom of it.
Did you locate the motor at the forward end of the slide?
Old 07-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #13

The seal that is movable is the long vertical seal mounted to the motor home, not to the slide. Run your fingers down that seal and you should find a retainer screw through it that holds it in place. Removing the screw will allow you to slide it down giving you visibility to the motor.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #14

Quote:
On the motor is located above the horizontal gear rack behind the long vertical seal on the right hand side of the picture. You can gain access or visibility of the motor by sliding that seal down. Remove a retainer screw thru the seal close to the bottom of it.
Did you locate the motor at the forward end of the slide?
I have not looked at the front of the slide, as it seems that motor is working and the slide is part way in on the front. I'll check that after I try to move the seal on the rear one. Does the front have the same type of vertical seal?
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
Old 07-24-2017, 12:51 PM   #15

Front motor location and seal are same.
Since ours was jammed, like you describe, we had to disengage the front motor and physically move the front of the slide to a position similar to the rear to relieve jam stress on the rear end of the slide.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #16

Quote:
The seal that is movable is the long vertical seal mounted to the motor home, not to the slide. Run your fingers down that seal and you should find a retainer screw through it that holds it in place. Removing the screw will allow you to slide it down giving you visibility to the motor.
Is that seal retaining screw above the top gear rack or all the way down to the bottom of the seal at the bottom of the slide? I can't seem to find that screw.
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
Old 07-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #17

Since the seal slides in on its mounting hardware, it could be anywhere on the seal. Retaining screws are at bottom of seals on our mh.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #18

You are looking at the long vertical seal, right? Not at the seal segments mounted to the slide.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #19

If you are seeing a screw above the upper rack, it is most likely the motor retaining screw. We had to slide the seal down before we could get to it.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #20

Quote:
You are looking at the long vertical seal, right? Not at the seal segments mounted to the slide.
I'm looking at the long tubular seal attached to the side of the MH and runs all the way down the slide. Can't seem to find a screw. Is it inside the tubular seal?
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)

Tags
305, slide