Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2017, 07:19 AM   #1

3051S Water setup

Ok, so maybe a silly question but have not been able to locate the answer.

Winterized our 3051S this past weekend. Did not have the setup for pulling in the antifreeze on the suction side of the water pump (and not really enough room to leave it in permanently) so i bot one of the three way connections and used that to pull in the antifreeze.

Drained and bypassed hot water heater, left fresh drain open (don't really use the tank - normally city water), sucked antifreeze into the system - capped hot water drain when pink came out / did all the faucets / etc.

Now for the question - does the city water connection still run through the pump? Had that side of the pump disconnected and water drained out while i had the connection to pull in antifreeze thru the pump for doing the rest.

So, if i had that disconnected and it drained does that mean the city water line is also drained? Wondering if i need to get a hand pump and also push some through the city water connection.

Can't find a diagram on where that actually ties into the system tough.

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:28 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Sounds like you have some confusion as to how your R/V water system is plumbed.

If you pulled the line off the pump to draw antifreeze into your plumbing, you would not have unhooked the line that goes to the city water connection. To draw antifreeze into the system, you would have unhooked the suction side of the pump. The city water connection plumbs into the pressure side of the pump.

(images are for reference only, your unit may be slightly different but the basics are the same)

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=88
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:32 AM   #3

Thanks - the only confusion was where the city water connection came in - that diagram was what i was looking for.

So i still need to pump some through the city water connection - that is what i needed to know, thanks
Old 10-26-2017, 07:44 AM   #4

5Picker - where in Southwestern PA you located?
Old 10-26-2017, 07:44 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
Thanks - the only confusion was where the city water connection came in - that diagram was what i was looking for.

So i still need to pump some through the city water connection - that is what i needed to know, thanks
You can pump some into the the city water connection if you want.
(one of the diagrams shows doing that with a hand pump)

BUT... what many of us do... if you are ingesting antifreeze into the plumbing using the on-board pump and since the city water connection is already plumbed into the pressure side of the pump, you can simply remove the washer/screen at the city water connection and gently push the check valve with something like a small screwdriver. Antifreeze will flow out (back flow) and you are good to go.

Words of caution... relieve most of the pressure by opening a faucet before pushing the check valve and stand off to the side or you will get wet with pink stuff.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:46 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
5Picker - where in Southwestern PA you located?
Friedens, PA (near Somerset)

Old 10-26-2017, 07:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
You can pump some into the the city water connection if you want.
(one of the diagrams shows doing that with a hand pump)

BUT... what many of us do... if you are ingesting antifreeze into the plumbing using the on-board pump and since the city water connection is already plumbed into the pressure side of the pump, you can simply remove the washer/screen at the city water connection and gently push the check valve with something like a small screwdriver. Antifreeze will flow out (back flow) and you are good to go.

Words of caution... relieve most of the pressure by opening a faucet before pushing the check valve and stand off to the side or you will get wet with pink stuff.
Yeah - could but then i'd have to reinstall the three way valve i temporarily installed for pulling into the pump - not really enough room in there (yet) to leave it installed permanently. So will probably use the hand pump for the city water connection this time.

Plan on re-arranging things a bit - don't need much - so i can leave the brass three way fitting installed permanently making this easier next time.

Grew up just north of Little Washington so know right where you are.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Sounds like you have some confusion as to how your R/V water system is plumbed.

If you pulled the line off the pump to draw antifreeze into your plumbing, you would not have unhooked the line that goes to the city water connection. To draw antifreeze into the system, you would have unhooked the suction side of the pump. The city water connection plumbs into the pressure side of the pump.

(images are for reference only, your unit may be slightly different but the basics are the same)

Best plumbing diagram I've seen to date.
Thanks for posting.

Tags
305, water