Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #1

3120 fridge fan

I have been having issues with my high fridge temperatures in my 2014 Sunseeker, after contact with several others with the same floor plan, (fridge in slide-out, no roof vent), I found out they have a fan behind the fridge to cool the coils, something I don't have. Forest River says they don't install these fans Dometic does, Dometic says they these fans are not standard.This is not an easy fix due to the fact that the fridge has to come out to do it properly. Has anyone else had this problem? The RV has already been in the shop for a month in July due to slide problems and to replace the air conditioner,now I have to use a cooler to keep food in when we travel. I'm starting to think I made a mistake with my choice of an RV.
Six Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #2

If your ref is in the slide you do not have a roof vent. FR know s that this is a problem They have been trying to get them to approve one, I can't imagine why they will not. Just get a 12 volt computer fan and mount it under the coil in the top section. The problem is the heat from the condenser coil, you need to move it. With top vented units the convection of heat will take care of it but not in a slide out. I added another (in a different unit) but it helps a 100x's over. They may never get it approved. Some stuff you just have to do. You can access the area through the top vent. If I'm picturing right you have a low vent and upper vent in the sidewall? If you need I can send you a picture, just PM me with your email add.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Would fashion a curved metal sheet at the top to deflect the air out the vent and put a BALL BEARING computer fan(s) just above the burner at the bottom and have it blow up the entire back of the frig. Put a toggle switch on it so you can control when it's on. I have two fans mounted at the bottom of mine and had to move the control to a warmer setting to keep the frig above 32°.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Would fashion a curved metal sheet at the top to deflect the air out the vent and put a BALL BEARING computer fan(s) just above the burner at the bottom and have it blow up the entire back of the frig. Put a toggle switch on it so you can control when it's on. I have two fans mounted at the bottom of mine and had to move the control to a warmer setting to keep the frig above 32°.
You know my dealer told me that same thing last week, I can see my next project coming now. All that heat is being trapped up there and makes the unit less efficient, and cause early failure of the system. It really is just common sense and I do not understand why they will not do it being they know it's a problem.......

Old 10-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
You know my dealer told me that same thing last week, I can see my next project coming now. All that heat is being trapped up there and makes the unit less efficient, and cause early failure of the system. It really is just common sense and I do not understand why they will not do it being they know it's a problem.......
I think we discussed that when you were down here.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Pack View Post
I have been having issues with my high fridge temperatures in my 2014 Sunseeker, after contact with several others with the same floor plan, (fridge in slide-out, no roof vent), I found out they have a fan behind the fridge to cool the coils, something I don't have. Forest River says they don't install these fans Dometic does, Dometic says they these fans are not standard.This is not an easy fix due to the fact that the fridge has to come out to do it properly. Has anyone else had this problem? The RV has already been in the shop for a month in July due to slide problems and to replace the air conditioner,now I have to use a cooler to keep food in when we travel. I'm starting to think I made a mistake with my choice of an RV.
I have a 3120 and it came with a fan. Are you sure yours has not just failed? I have a hard time keeping my fridge above 33 degrees. The first time I heard it I thought it was odd since my KZ toyhauler has no fan. I thought it was just because it was a different brand refrigerator. Now I understand why it has a roof vent.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #7

Quote:
I think we discussed that when you were down here.
That is exactly true, once again I shouldn't have put it off after our conversation. I guess just being lazy. Your right to many times, One Day I will start to listen to you and that day is coming pretty quick... Your not bad for being an "Old Goat" I'LL have to start to call you OLD BILLY instead have to give you some respect...

Old 11-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #8

Fridge Fan

Thanks for all the replies. ATVer, after contact with Big John and several others with the same floor plan I checked for a fan and there is none. I called Dometic and got them to send me a fan, so I guess they're admitting there's a problem, but if I follow their installation instructions the fridge has to come out because it has to be mounted half way between the vents. The dealer is out of the picture because he's a jerk and three hours away. My question is why do some 3120's have it and others don't ?
Six Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. ATVer, after contact with Big John and several others with the same floor plan I checked for a fan and there is none. I called Dometic and got them to send me a fan, so I guess they're admitting there's a problem, but if I follow their installation instructions the fridge has to come out because it has to be mounted half way between the vents. The dealer is out of the picture because he's a jerk and three hours away. My question is why do some 3120's have it and others don't ?
I would not pull the frig, I would add a thin sheet metal deflector at the top and mount the fan just above the burner at the bottom and have it blow the entire length of the back to get as much of the heat out as possible. I have two fans at the bottom and above the burner on mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual fans 1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	42204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual fans2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	42205  
Old 11-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #10

Quote:
I would not pull the frig, I would add a thin sheet metal deflector at the top and mount the fan just above the burner at the bottom and have it blow the entire length of the back to get as much of the heat out as possible. I have two fans at the bottom and above the burner on mine.
It is also best to add one on top below the condenser coil that what determines when they come on unless they are wire to be on always. There is a stat on the coil that brings them on. Atleast in a slide out unit, but I know yours is direct vent from the roof. My gas vent terminates at that coil on top. For the gas purpose only not electric. But you want to keep that whole area as cool as possible bottom to top. What turns your fan s off and on if I may ask Sir Billy?.....

Old 11-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #11

View documents here: http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/dometicventing.pdf for venting options. It appears option #3 is what you are looking for.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
View documents here: dometicventing.pdf for venting options. It appears option #3 is what you are looking for.

Bobby
I couldn't get link to work.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #13

Fixed. Sorry about that.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Read the article, I would add the baffle at the top but would still put 2 fans at the bottom instead of pulling the frig to mount them midway.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
View documents here: http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/dometicventing.pdf for venting options. It appears option #3 is what you are looking for.

Bobby
I would install below the condenser coil either at the bottom or as high as you can to it, It is just to blow air over the coil to cool the unit. If you have a roof top vent mount it in the bottom of the unit, if it's in a slide mount it under the condenser coil area. It will suck fresh air from the opening at the bottom. The only thing is to figure out what turns it off and on as I said there is a click-on disk that is attached to the coil on mine when it builds heat it completes the 12 volt circuit that would turn it on and off as needed. Yours might be different then mine being I have a Norcold. Did they say were to break the 12 V or 110V what ever fan they sent you?

Old 11-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #16

Quote:
My Coach is a 2012 model so maybe they were trying to reduce costs on later models. Also maybe they only supply the fan for units sold in hot areas of the country.
Sounds odd but I have a friend who bought a new Land Rover in southern Pa. He took it on a snowmobiling trip up north in -20 degree weather and the oil breather frooze up pushing the oil out all over. Turns out there was a cold weather kit that Rover only installed on those units sold up north to prevent the issue. They didn't expect a car from Pa would ever need it and I guess never expected someone might drive it up north.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #17

The intent was to show where to place the baffle(s). It makes sense to place one mid-stream so the air to/from the fan (wherever the fan is mounted) does not bypass the condenser even though the note states:
When dimension "D" exceeds 1", it is necessary to add baffle/s above lower
access vent, as shown, for more efficient operation in warm temperatures.
The illustration also shows how the top baffle should contour to the top grill (as mentioned previously in this post)

I also neglected to mention that option #3 is for the Innovator Refrigerator Ventilator System but shouldn't matter what vent system - the objective is to move air through the back.

Bobby
Old 11-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Read the article, I would add the baffle at the top but would still put 2 fans at the bottom instead of pulling the frig to mount them midway.
X-2 on the two fans .... I think your old pal, Turbs, has some pics posted on the forum
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
X-2 on the two fans .... I think your old pal, Turbs, has some pics posted on the forum
I posted pics of mine in post #9 of this thread.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I posted pics of mine in post #9 of this thread.
CR_ ... or sleeping at the switch... it's an old guy thing
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, fridge