Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2024, 12:16 PM   #1

3120DS new owners in TX

hi all - after enjoying a Forest River popup for 2 years, yesterday we closed on a 2009 3120DS and are excited to explore the country with me, wife, 9yr old son, and two small doggies.

The new-to-us RV was owned by an older lady, then her daughter, and despite being stored outdoors in Austin TX is in remarkably good condition.

There is only one roof issue: sealant on the cabover bunk rear edge, passenger side, has some cracks which delammed about a 1'x1' area in the front corner.

I'll have this taken care of ASAP, also trans flush and brake inspection and alignment check, otherwise nothing needs immediate doing.

Recent service includes: new tires, new bed slideout motor and gear, all new batteries, generator carb, new awning and slide toppers, new step motor, 2nd AC over bedroom on dedicated 110V circuit, new reverse cam&monitor, and full new exterior stickers.
Seller advertised it for $37k and we settled on $35k.

Initial to-do list:
- roof sealant/repair delam
- TPMS
- Bluetooth level gauge (no auto-levelling system)
- 66x80 "Olympia Queen" bed (remove single side table, build mattress end-lift to allow full slide closure with 6" longer mattress)
- replace all incandescant bulbs with LED

Longer term:
- solar
- new shocks, steering stab, sway bar links, maybe add rear track bar
- new headlights (original are cloudy/yellowing)
- replace jackknife couch with lazy-boy type recliner
- replace carpet under dining table, and bedroom (have enough leftover from recent home carpet replacement)
- leather steering wheel

Any other recommendations to enhance our ownership experience?

I was impressed with the interior materials and construction, and the overall exterior condition other than the one small roof issure.

It drove well on the short test drive, tomorrow bringing home 150miles from Austin to Houston. Already have covered storage 1 mile from our house lined up.

Anyone else out there still enjoying their 3120DS or 3121 DS?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_50440961.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	296507   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_50451457.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	296508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-25 9.55.22 PM.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	296509  
Nurburgringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 01:40 PM   #2

Welcome from Wisconsin. Congrats and enjoy making memories in your 2009 Sunseeker 3120DS.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 01:43 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Looks like a great unit and deal. Let the adventures start.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 09:18 PM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

Welcome from across the way (up the Eastex). Sounds like you got a good deal on a good rig. Quite an upgrade from a popup. It looks like you've done a good job of prepping it. Now you get to get out and enjoy it. I would suggest somewhere close to start with, so you can be near somewhere to get things you may have forgotten. And be sure and bring your pencil and paper (or the electronic equivalent) so you can take notes of what went right, what went wrong, and what needs attention. And if you have any specific questions, be sure and let us know. There's a wealth of knowledge here. Good luck, and hope to see you down the road!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 09:21 PM   #5
Now a "Top Member"

I used a mobile tech guy to replace a broken skylight on mine. He did pretty good work. I will see if I can find his contact information.
Retired AF MSgt

Old 01-29-2024, 12:48 AM   #6

Thanks for the warm welcome all!

Drove her home from Austin today in near perfect conditions and she did great. Touched 70 once (75 limit) but kept her between 60-65 for most of the 150 mile trip. Cruise control was very responsive, and other than some crosswinds and uneven roads she tracked better than I was prepared for.
I was worried the loooong rear overhang would hit our driveway backing it in, but put some 2x10s in the gutter and there was at least 4" clearance whew.

Of course the boy is sleeping in it tonight

good advice Ed - we've got some non-RV trips already planned in Feb and March so 1st camp will be at Jelleystone park in April, which is only 30 minutes from our house. Then a few TX State Parks (Livingston, Huntsville, and/or Brazos) before a big trip to my home state of NJ, then back through OH to visit my bro in July.

Now to get quotes on the minor roof repair and find a shop to do brake work and trans flush.
Would appreciate contact info for your guy Ed.

Ordered TPMS and Blutooth level gauge.
Looking into Apple Carplay, Sirius radio, touchscreen system to replace stock one.

cheers!
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	296582   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_50414849.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	449.4 KB
ID:	296583   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2587.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	296584   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_50449921.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	491.3 KB
ID:	296585  
Old 01-29-2024, 10:00 AM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurburgringer View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome all!

Drove her home from Austin today in near perfect conditions and she did great. Touched 70 once (75 limit) but kept her between 60-65 for most of the 150 mile trip. Cruise control was very responsive, and other than some crosswinds and uneven roads she tracked better than I was prepared for.
I was worried the loooong rear overhang would hit our driveway backing it in, but put some 2x10s in the gutter and there was at least 4" clearance whew.

Of course the boy is sleeping in it tonight

good advice Ed - we've got some non-RV trips already planned in Feb and March so 1st camp will be at Jelleystone park in April, which is only 30 minutes from our house. Then a few TX State Parks (Livingston, Huntsville, and/or Brazos) before a big trip to my home state of NJ, then back through OH to visit my bro in July.

Now to get quotes on the minor roof repair and find a shop to do brake work and trans flush.

Ordered TPMS and Blutooth level gauge.
Looking into Apple Carplay, Sirius radio, touchscreen system to replace stock one.

cheers!
Kurt
Two tips for everyone with new rigs…..
1. Driveway camp, if you can, to see what you actually forgot to pack.
2. Over the years…..60-65 is the best MPG for the Ford Trigon V10. Faster than that really eats gas for the difference in your arrival time.

Enjoy.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 05:26 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Looks like a nice find with lots of life remaining.

Two DIY maintenance items to consider (based on our 2006 Lexington)
Check and repaint the propane tank (much cheaper than a new tank)
Check and repaint the battery compartment (battery acid eats it)

Welcome and good luck!

As far as steering stabilizer, I replaced ours with a parts compatible BILSTEIN. Improved driving dramatically. I was a software engineer with acceptable mechanical skills (for an office guy) and it took me under an hour.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BILSTEIN-...2-9cb49d619fc4
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 05:43 PM   #9

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum from a fellow Texan.

Safe travels.
Old 01-29-2024, 06:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
Looks like a nice find with lots of life remaining.

Two DIY maintenance items to consider (based on our 2006 Lexington)
Check and repaint the propane tank (much cheaper than a new tank)
Check and repaint the battery compartment (battery acid eats it)

Welcome and good luck!

As far as steering stabilizer, I replaced ours with a parts compatible BILSTEIN.
Good tips. The LP tank looks great but the home battery slide-out has some decent rust on it. Will put it on the list.

Thanks for the stab link! Just ordered from Amazon for $120.
Also ordered new headlights and Silverstar bulbs, which will really dress up the front end not to mention improve night driving.
The (white) rear-view mirror caps are pretty faded/dull. Doesn't appear to be a chrome plastic cover available, so putting a re-paint on the long-term list.
inquired a local RV place that's a distributor for Forest River parts for new rear fender flare, vent fan trim, and outer shower skylight (not cracked but would be good to have a spare/new one on hand). Will be surprised if all are available but who knows.

Anyone have a solid source for Forest River parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Two tips for everyone with new rigs…..
1. Driveway camp, if you can, to see what you actually forgot to pack.
2. Over the years…..60-65 is the best MPG for the Ford Trigon V10. Faster than that really eats gas for the difference in your arrival time.

Enjoy.
Solid advice!

Today my 85 year old dad came over to check her out. Had to help him up the steps but once inside he gave a big thumbs up to the layout and condition. He wishes he could still enjoy camping - he took us across the country towing an Apache pop-up in the 80s, then had a GMC motorhome for a few years in the 90s.
We enjoyed a nice Arby's lunch together at the Sunseeker's dinette

Another long-term, relatively easy upgrade would be to replace the bathroom's countertop and plastic sink with a deeper solid-surface and vessel-type bowl. Would really dress up the room, and give a little more counter space.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	424524470_10223820594558479_4727251954283590501_n.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	377.8 KB
ID:	296606   Click image for larger version

Name:	424668434_10223820597798560_3003091697254525164_n.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	296607  
Old 01-29-2024, 07:10 PM   #11

For my mirrors, I used plastic bonding paint (white) and they came out great. I did them in 2022 and they still look good.

This has photos along with many other of my RV projects
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cdrdwd...th/52303484552
Old 01-29-2024, 07:14 PM   #12

I also replaced the in-dash radio with a CarPlay compatible touch screen.
Crutchfield provided the correct parts, wire harness and instructions making it easy.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cdrdwd...77720307532339
Old 01-29-2024, 09:59 PM   #13

Quote:
For my mirrors, I used plastic bonding paint (white) and they came out great. I did them in 2022 and they still look good.
Nice! No primer, just cleaned up the surface and sprayed a few coats of the paint shown in your pics?

What brand/model touchscreen did you get?
thx!
Old 01-29-2024, 10:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Nice! No primer, just cleaned up the surface and sprayed a few coats of the paint shown in your pics?

What brand/model touchscreen did you get?

thx!
Mirrors: I lightly sanded with 220 and 400 grit and the Rust-Oleum Plastic paint

Radio: Jensen CAR910X https://www.crutchfield.com/S-KCWf62...RoCng4QAvD_BwE

It's $90 cheaper now than when I purchased it!
Old 01-29-2024, 10:22 PM   #15
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:

Kurt
Here you go Kurt. Took me a bit to find it, but I did.

https://mobiletechrv.com/

Give them a call from that website, and they'll get you set up to come out to your house and get you an estimate and then do the work right there. Pretty awesome.
Retired AF MSgt

Old 01-30-2024, 12:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Today my 85 year old dad came over to check her out. Had to help him up the steps but once inside he gave a big thumbs up to the layout and condition. He wishes he could still enjoy camping - he took us across the country towing an Apache pop-up in the 80s, then had a GMC motorhome for a few years in the 90s.
We enjoyed a nice Arby's lunch together at the Sunseeker's dinette

As a 77 year old knowing that my 30 year RV journey will end soon, I got a warm heart and big smile reading about you and your dad, good for you getting him into the RV for a visit.
Old 01-30-2024, 01:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobagbob View Post
As a 77 year old knowing that my 30 year RV journey will end soon, I got a warm heart and big smile reading about you and your dad, good for you getting him into the RV for a visit.
I'm sure you've got incredible memories!

ol Ralph harbored fantasies of "time-sharing" an RV with us up until quite recently, but with his and my mom's troubles getting around it's sadly just not going to happen.
Hopefully they will be able to drive over and visit us at the nearby Jelleystone RV/Water Park where we plan to make our first camp in April.
Until then they both love to hear about our plans, and he's always sending me links to Youtube videos about campers, politics, WWII (he's ret AF, thankfully not in combat though), cooking etc.
It's not always fun getting old, but as they say it sure beats the alternative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Here you go Kurt. Took me a bit to find it, but I did.
Thanks Ed! Exchanged emails and sent roof pics to Aaron, and he said it looks really great. If it was his he'd leave all the Dicor, clean then slap 6" Permabond tape on the seams, and not worry about any maintenance for many years (still inspect a few times/year of course).
Refreshing to get a place that doesn't try to sell you something you don't really need!

Have any recommendations for trans flush and brake inspection? I was planning on calling Ford dealers but maybe you have a guy for that too?
With only 25k miles it maybe doesn't need pads/rotors, but with no records of last fluid flush that'd be nice to do.

Quote:
Mirrors: I lightly sanded with 220 and 400 grit and the Rust-Oleum Plastic paint
Those look so good you inspired me
And I even had paint in the garage.

Any complaints/regrets on that Jenson head unit? I was looking at the same exact one before you sent the link. I'm not an audiofile, as long as I can hear the radio (and maybe Sirius XM) and it pairs reliably with my Apple phone's Google Maps app I'll be happy.
Don't think I'll use it for reverse cam since the PO recently got a $700, dedicated wireless rear cam installed that works well.
cheers!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2616.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	296665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2619.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	343.9 KB
ID:	296666  
Old 01-30-2024, 06:32 PM   #18

Mirrors look good!

I have been happy with the radio, works well as a radio and for playing audio books from my phone. Apple CarPlay works great for maps.
*One issue I need to fix - if I put on the running lights (which power my camera and is good for safety) the radio goes into night mode. I need to add an electrical switch so that I can manually toggle between daytime/night mode.

Another project - which helps with the radio - I opened the doghouse, gently removed the insulation, covered the inside plastic with 80 mil Sound deadening Butyl mat and put the original insulation back. This cut engine noise a bit. I also covered some of the floor under the carpet. I also put some in the overhead compartment on the interior exterior fiberglass and filled where I could with fiberglass insulation (mine is a cabinet over cab, not a bed). All helped a little bit. So now I hear less road noise and more rattles coming from elsewhere
Old 01-30-2024, 09:56 PM   #19
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:

Thanks Ed! Exchanged emails and sent roof pics to Aaron, and he said it looks really great. If it was his he'd leave all the Dicor, clean then slap 6" Permabond tape on the seams, and not worry about any maintenance for many years (still inspect a few times/year of course).
Refreshing to get a place that doesn't try to sell you something you don't really need!

Have any recommendations for trans flush and brake inspection? I was planning on calling Ford dealers but maybe you have a guy for that too?
With only 25k miles it maybe doesn't need pads/rotors, but with no records of last fluid flush that'd be nice to do.
Awesome man. Good to hear it's in good shape. Sounds like the previous owner really took care of it.

Can't help on the tranny or brakes. I'm not sure if a Ford dealer would do it, but it might not hurt to try. You might also try DeMontrond RV there on I-45 just north of the Beltway. I bought my 5th wheel from them. I know they have a nice service bay (or had anyway...it's been quite a few years since I've been there). Maybe they can take care of it for you. Otherwise, not sure I can help.

Keep us informed on the progress!
Retired AF MSgt

Old 01-31-2024, 01:28 PM   #20
Commercial Member

congrats on your purchase and enjoy exploring North America
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote