Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #21

The Drive that i am using is a 2TB drive and its not a SSD just a regualr one. I know lots use the tablets which is another great options to watch movies but i like the fact that i dont have to worry about charging or them dropping a 500 ipad on the floor while moving.

by the way does anyone know how to just attach photos in the forum i have tons more mods that i will be doing and posting links is a little teadeous.

thx
Old 03-05-2017, 10:22 AM   #22
Who Dares, Wins

I only use the tablet on the road. I use the hardrive plugged into the TV at home and in the camper.

I use Flickr for photos. They even have a share line that puts it into the bb code for cutting and pasting into the forum.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:38 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
by the way does anyone know how to just attach photos in the forum i have tons more mods that i will be doing and posting links is a little teadeous.
See Here for a good thread on adding photos. I use Flikr to host my photos and use their bbcode option to insert them in my posts.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:23 PM   #24

Following
Sheldon211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:24 PM   #25

Setup number 2 all parts are ordered. I will be adding the same mod to my bedroom tv in the next few weeks. I will post that install also and how it gets installed.

I will run on straight battery with no genny to see how much playtime i get.

One other thing i ordered it the multicolor awning lights for 13 dollars from ebay. I will post that install as well.

Cheers all

Bob
Old 03-10-2017, 10:44 PM   #26
Sophomore Campers

You could get a Chromecast and a WiFi enabled portable hard drive, then cast onto the TV from the hard drive.
MizzouMan_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:28 AM   #27

Sorry its been a while however the second tv is completed with a 8TB drive full of movies. I will post pictures shortly. My list of 750 movies went to over 3000 movies.

It was an awsome add odd just got back from 2 weeks at Disney and the 22 hour drive the kids watched movies the whole way it was heaven.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #28

I have a WD Wireless drive that sets up a little WIFI network. The movies are on the drive and I stream from the WIFI to the Apple TV with the iPhone. Also, all devices in the camper connect to the WIFI and the WIFI connects to the campground WIFI. I have a single point login to the CG wifi which simplifies things. Also, provides NAT firewall from the CG wifi. Works great.

WD My Passport Wireless Pro 3TB External USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive Black WDBSMT0030BBK-NESN - Best Buy

Apple Apple TV - 32GB Black MGY52LL/A - Best Buy
mwdilday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:12 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Currently have 17.5 TB of hard drive space loaded from more than 4,000 movies. The space is not completely filled, as I leave space for new movies to be added. (and yes, I own all the DVDs) This is just what I have in the camper. The home server has 20TB. I have to carry a rider on my homeowners policy to cover the collection.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #30
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
I have a WD Wireless drive that sets up a little WIFI network. The movies are on the drive and I stream from the WIFI to the Apple TV with the iPhone. Also, all devices in the camper connect to the WIFI and the WIFI connects to the campground WIFI. I have a single point login to the CG wifi which simplifies things. Also, provides NAT firewall from the CG wifi. Works great.

WD My Passport Wireless Pro 3TB External USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive Black WDBSMT0030BBK-NESN - Best Buy

Apple Apple TV - 32GB Black MGY52LL/A - Best Buy
That's what I did- only with a Roku instead of an Apple TV:
Ripping DVDs to make them portable | Learn To RV
Old 07-28-2017, 12:46 AM   #31

Curious when you put your movies on a hard drive , what format are you using ? Are you able to put any of your copy protected DVD movies on the hard drive and if so how? One other question , when hooked to the TV what program do you use to watch the movies ?
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:13 AM   #32
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Curious when you put your movies on a hard drive , what format are you using ? Are you able to put any of your copy protected DVD movies on the hard drive and if so how? One other question , when hooked to the TV what program do you use to watch the movies ?
I answered most of that in my linked post.

1) MP4

2) Yes, can rip copy protected DVDs. You have to purchase/install software to decrypt the DVDs.

3) I use a Roku device for each TV and it has a "Media Player" application that reads from my wifi hard drive and plays the movies.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:32 AM   #33

All to complicated.

Simple way.. Netflix lets you download movies to watch at a later date when you have no internet.

When we went to florida disney and toured the east coast I simply downloaded 50 or so cartoons/movies the kids wanted to watch on the lap top. ( when you have internet)

Simply plug the lap top into the TV with HDMI. Lap top runs 5 hours or so. ( But I have inverter if I need to charge)

Also all the kids downloaded movies to their I phones with what they could fit in their memory.

They watch on their phones or I use lightning to HDMI adapter to put on TV.

Much simpler.

Its rare that many movies are even needed as we were so busy sightseeing, and talking as a family. Enjoying our real world experiences.
Lawrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #34

This is how I watch movies etc in my Sunseeker 2860DS outside kitchen and bedroom. This is from a post a couple years ago:

Yes, we have watched over the air on the coax on the outside kitchen TV. I don't really play many DVDs anymore... I use this in the bedroom and outside kitchen
Amazon.com: IncrediSonic Ultra Play IMP150 - HD TV Digital Mini Media Player - 1080p - Play any file from USB HDDs/Flashdrives/Memory Cards: Electronics but my wife had made a dvd to show some friends on our Telegraph Cove BC fishing trip and wasn't very happy. I didn't have anything to put the file on my memory sticks or my 2 GIG electronic hard drive I use with the incredisonic media player. It has lots of media types inputs (USB, mem cards , my little electronic hard drive) and It has a HDMI and RCA's output so with the inverter below its actually a pretty great little system, whether driving down the road, dry camping, or hooked to shore power... plays the same with a great picture.

and with this to power the 120VAC media player if I'm dry camping with no ac or don't /can't run the generator. plus all my small USB charging. It works great but the little fan is noticeable .. But, not to loud behind the doors of the door mounted TV's in bedroom and kitchen. I am going to see if it will run the small 120VAC refrig in the outside kitchen.. just haven't gotten to it yet Amazon.com : BESTEK Dual 110V AC outlets and Dual USB 3.1A 300w power inverter car dc 12v to 110v ac inverter dc adapter laptop charger notebook adapter dc charger ac adapter usb charger MRI3011BU : Vehicle Power Inverters : Car Electronics

All in all it will play pretty much all media for the price of a cheap DVD player. I don't use the dash unit for the main tv for dvd type stuff.. menus on the media player are easier to navigate!

Asparky
asparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:05 PM   #35
Who Dares, Wins

I just put all the movies onto a WD hardrive, used AnyDVD and Handbrake to make the coppies. The TV is a smart TV so it has a usb port. It plays right from the HD. Before that had a blu ray player with a USB port that did the same as above. Very simple, no wifi, no networks... Just works

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #36

OMG next mod bluetooth low latency transmitter and bluetooth headphones.

Sorry this is an add on to my tv setup and why this mod is being added.

I can't take listening to ICarly for 8 hours on the raod anymore its driving me crazy. This brings me to the next tv mod. I will post pic in the setup to help you all out...

Once done i shouild have peace and quiet while driving again

here is the transmitter link

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this simply plugs into the android box via usb for power and the red and white rca to the back of the tv for the audio input.

Here are the rechargable headphones i purchased both my girls. They are comfortable and light. The barrery also last approx 8 hours.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

posting pics this weekend when i install it.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:38 PM   #37
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
OMG next mod bluetooth low latency transmitter and bluetooth headphones.

Sorry this is an add on to my tv setup and why this mod is being added.

I cant take listening to ICarly for 8 hours on the raod anymore its driving me crazy. This brings me to the next tv mod. I will post pic in the setup to help you all out...

Once done i shouild have peace and quiet while driving again
LOL! My wife and I have wanted bluetooth headphones for the bedroom since the A/C is so obnoxiously loud but I haven't found a system with multiple headphones.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #38
Who Dares, Wins

We have a tablet that our daughter watches when we are on the road... Blue tooth headphones have saved me from going INSANE! I know all the words to all of her Dora the Explorer shows, but have never "seen" them... Just heard them! Haha!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-03-2018, 06:17 AM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
We have a tablet that our daughter watches when we are on the road... Blue tooth headphones have saved me from going INSANE! I know all the words to all of her Dora the Explorer shows, but have never "seen" them... Just heard them! Haha!

That’s nothing! Try listening to Spongebob for hours on end!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #40

I setup a NUC mini PC as a Plex.tv media server with a 480gb ssd. We stream via our own router to the roku's connected to the TV. Prior to each trip i copy new movies,TV, and music over to the NUC from my main Plex media server at home. TV circuit is on an inverter so the kids can watch while I drive and I can stream music to my tablet.
fr1rd831 is offline   Reply With Quote