Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 09:04 PM   #1

A/c cycling on and off

I apologize for not doing a search first but we have VERY limited wi fi and NO cell coverage!!!

Outside temps have been 102-105 the last few days. We have a/c set at 78 and of course by late afternoon the inside temp gets HOT (like 90 right now)

A/C has always cycled on and off with long run times between cycling but the last few hours it seems to cycle off and almost
Immediately back on every 5-8 minutes?

I’m sure we’re expecting too much out
Of it, but does this sound normal?

Thanks!!!!!

;on a bright note fishing has been good!!)
Old 07-29-2020, 09:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
I apologize for not doing a search first but we have VERY limited wi fi and NO cell coverage!!!

Outside temps have been 102-105 the last few days. We have a/c set at 78 and of course by late afternoon the inside temp gets HOT (like 90 right now)

A/C has always cycled on and off with long run times between cycling but the last few hours it seems to cycle off and almost
Immediately back on every 5-8 minutes?

I’m sure we’re expecting too much out
Of it, but does this sound normal?

Thanks!!!!!

;on a bright note fishing has been good!!)
I have a different camper but you might have a similar problem. On my camper the AC blows on the thermostat. It then thinks it’s reached the correct temperature and shuts off. A few seconds later it cycles back on and repeats. Set the thermostat really low. As low as it can go and see if that stops the cycling. If it doesn’t it’s probably a different problem. I set mine at 68 deg F to stop the cycling. I’d like to relocate my thermostat to stop the problem for good regardless of what temperature I set.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:37 PM   #3

Thank you!!
BBogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:47 PM   #4

Thermostat location

It escapes me why the thermostat on my 2016 3010DS is located in the bedroom. Seems it would have made more sense to place it out in the living area.

Wonder how difficult it would be to relocate it?
Ohinaz1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:12 AM   #5

Remove the bottom cover. Check the plentum divider, it Separates return air and refrigerated air. Mine wasn’t in lace causing this problem. I will use silicone to hold it in place .
Mgwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:40 PM   #6
Site Team

Why have it set so high in that heat? Set it at 68° and let it run. High fan.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoinks View Post
I have a different camper but you might have a similar problem. On my camper the AC blows on the thermostat. It then thinks it’s reached the correct temperature and shuts off. A few seconds later it cycles back on and repeats. Set the thermostat really low. As low as it can go and see if that stops the cycling. If it doesn’t it’s probably a different problem. I set mine at 68 deg F to stop the cycling. I’d like to relocate my thermostat to stop the problem for good regardless of what temperature I set.
X2 I had to do something similar in our 2018 Cherokee. Had to go down to 65 before it stopped cycling on and off. Keeping two of the ceiling vents pointed away from the wall the T-stat was on helped also.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
X2 I had to do something similar in our 2018 Cherokee. Had to go down to 65 before it stopped cycling on and off. Keeping two of the ceiling vents pointed away from the wall the T-stat was on helped also.

Thanks, we ended up setting it much lower and it ran good! I guess we were afraid of asking too much from the a/c in that kind heat and thought we shouldn’t set the thermostat that low - LOL,
Live and learn!!

Thx
Old 08-13-2020, 04:55 PM   #9

My 2016 DS does something similar when its really hot. Some research I did stated that the unit has a, lets say two stage for lack of a correct term, where if it is not keeping up to where it thinks it should be it switches to a higher mode for a period of time then switches back to normal. When mine switches, the fan speed increases even though the thermostat fan speed is set to high.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:19 PM   #10

All the things we get to learn when we fall in love with RV'ing!!!
Old 08-13-2020, 07:37 PM   #11

Ours also has an "on" option that we use instead of "auto" at night because DW can't sleep with the A/C noise cycling on and off.