Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
Love My Sunseeker

A different stress crack in my SUnseeker 3170

Well, some of us that own 3170's have had the lovely experience of the stress crack on the back side of the FRONT slide (it was on the body, not the slide). And some of us have had that repaired courtesy of Forest River. (I had to get it repaired TWICE!)

Well, guess what, now I have a stress crack on the FRONT side of the REAR slide. Same thing, in the body, not the slide. And it was diagonal, like the other one.

Anyone else get it?

Even though Forest River GRACIOUSLY fixed the crack on the front slide (THANK YOU!!!!), they do maintain it's cosmetic, not structural.

So, for now, I just had an RV repair place stuff the crack on the front of the back slide with silicone and I'm going to let it go for now.

I took a picture if anyone wants to see...... Both before and after.....

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #2

I have a crack top left side on wall next to slide and bottom right side next to slide. Plus delam. by right rear cargo door and window. Will be going to factory in April for fix!.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
Well, some of us that own 3170's have had the lovely experience of the stress crack on the back side of the FRONT slide (it was on the body, not the slide). And some of us have had that repaired courtesy of Forest River. (I had to get it repaired TWICE!)

Well, guess what, now I have a stress crack on the FRONT side of the REAR slide. Same thing, in the body, not the slide. And it was diagonal, like the other one.

Anyone else get it?

Even though Forest River GRACIOUSLY fixed the crack on the front slide (THANK YOU!!!!), they do maintain it's cosmetic, not structural.

So, for now, I just had an RV repair place stuff the crack on the front of the back slide with silicone and I'm going to let it go for now.

I took a picture if anyone wants to see...... Both before and after.....
It sounds like twisting. Are you leveling before running slides out?
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #4

A32Deuce is Forest River picking up the cost or is it on you I see yours has some age on it compared to Macs
Old 12-02-2015, 11:27 PM   #5

They are taking care of it. Glad I went to Goshen this year. Very satisfied with how we were taken care of while we were there.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:30 PM   #6

Have leveled since day one. always did that then elec. then slide out. Now with levelers, hit 2 buttons and while that is happening start my outside set-up.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #7

I've had diagonal cracks at the slides and other re-entrant corners on several different RVs, after warranty expiration. Cold weather seems to promote that activity. In all cases, after drilling a small hole (1/8") at the end of the crack (helps to stop the crack from running further) and sealing with silicone, added a piece of RV trim tape to cover the cracks, which were fortunately rather straight. In the end, just looked like a part of the original body work. Was alarmed at the first one but after several, on several different RVs, just decided it went with the territory.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #8

stress crack in 3170

Hey thanks for the info. I also have a 3170. i don't see anything yet ( knock wood). if you call post the pics it would be helpful Thanks again and good luck
Wilber2484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:18 PM   #9
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipnTerri View Post
Yes, always do. This crack happened after a horrible wind storm. I usually run the slides in when it's windy, and I did do that in this case. I'm wondering if running the slides in when it was windy contributed to the problem.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:21 PM   #10

I think it is just the nature of the beast.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #11
Love My Sunseeker

Forest River seemed to graciously cover the repair on the front slide even though they claim it's just cosmetic, but a lot of us had it. I'm not so sure they will cover the rear slide especially when I had the front slide repaired. It's a $3,000 repair (or it was both times I had the front slide repaired....)

I'm just praying the silicone will hold it. I didn't drill the hole. I don't want to go through that again, but I do want to keep this unit for awhile because I love the 3170.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:20 PM   #12
Yvonthe1

Good day

Well while doing my spring checkup, I found a crack on the edge of my frame on the front slide out. I will post pictures.
Also worst , a major crack underneath the unit just aft of the rear wheels that goes across the whole floor.
I have a 3170DS 2014. I will post picture
Now the million dollar question , how to get all this fixed!

Regard

Yvon
yvonthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #13

Following this blog.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #14
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipnTerri View Post
Guess I haven't been back for awhile....

Yes, I do level before running slides out. BUt my back slide, I have been told is possible "off" by one track. It works... but doesn't go in all the way. I think it's from when I tried to pull the slide in and forgot I had a push broom leaning up against the slide... The corner is bent.....

Old 04-23-2016, 08:31 PM   #15
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonthe1 View Post
Good day

Well while doing my spring checkup, I found a crack on the edge of my frame on the front slide out. I will post pictures.
Also worst , a major crack underneath the unit just aft of the rear wheels that goes across the whole floor.
I have a 3170DS 2014. I will post picture
Now the million dollar question , how to get all this fixed!

Regard

Yvon

From my two experiences......

See if you can get a "Dedicated" staff to fix the crack. The first time, they were "fitting it in when they could" and it took a month, but I also had some other repairs done at MY cost while it was in the shop.

The second time, I got a "dedicated" staff on it (body shop) and it took only a week. I think Forest River covered it, as I didn't have to pay and the shop said they weren't going to eat it because they felt Forest River didn't give them good direction the FIRST time......

As for my crack on the LONG slide, it's still filled with bonding agent, and doing ok...... I'm leaving it as is... for now.

Tags
3170, sunseeker