Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2019, 07:25 PM   #1

Adding 12v power outlet hooked directly to batteries

I have had two issues that had me thinking I need a 12 volt power outlet near the stairs and connected to the battery.
#1 had low tire while traveling. Bought small air compressor that hooks to cigarette lighter but would not quite reach either rear tire since outlets were in dash.
#2 One battery went bad and left me with one battery for whatever reason that went dead and not enough juice to start generator. Tried using button to tie house and coach batteries together but did not work to start generator.
I would like to add a small 3-5 watt solar charger to keep battery charged but if plug it in to outlet in coach it does not keep up with the draw from the TVs and whatever else is a parasitic draw. Using battery disconnect does not allow it to charge battery since it disconnects that 12 volt power outlet. My thought is if I added a 12 volt outlet near the battery and connected directly to the battery I could use the battery disconnect but still use the small solar charger.
Any thoughts or input on this?
jlwardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwardn View Post
I have had two issues that had me thinking I need a 12 volt power outlet near the stairs and connected to the battery.
#1 had low tire while traveling. Bought small air compressor that hooks to cigarette lighter but would not quite reach either rear tire since outlets were in dash.
#2 One battery went bad and left me with one battery for whatever reason that went dead and not enough juice to start generator. Tried using button to tie house and coach batteries together but did not work to start generator.
I would like to add a small 3-5 watt solar charger to keep battery charged but if plug it in to outlet in coach it does not keep up with the draw from the TVs and whatever else is a parasitic draw. Using battery disconnect does not allow it to charge battery since it disconnects that 12 volt power outlet. My thought is if I added a 12 volt outlet near the battery and connected directly to the battery I could use the battery disconnect but still use the small solar charger.
Any thoughts or input on o the this?
You can add an outlet but make sure you wire in a fuse on the wire feeding it as close to the battery as possible.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:51 PM   #3

This simply clamps on the batteries...

NOCO GC017 12V Adapter Plug Socket with Battery Clamp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G8WLX78..._IzUcDbH692KPM

99 F350 Dually 7.3L
Colorado Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:45 AM   #4

I have a solar trickle charger that plugs right on to the battery. You have to remove the step cover, but I'm only charging it when it's parked for a while.
johnlantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #5

Warning: this is my personal opinion which may not be shared by all.

I hate any compressor that merely plugs into a cigarette lighter type outlet.

Compressors that function with these connections are usually small and take forever to pump up a regular passenger car tire running 35 PSI max.
When talking RV tires, the starting pressures are usually 50 PSI and often go over 100 PSI. Any compressor that will do a good job, in a reasonable amount of time, draws far too much power for a standard "cigarette lighter" receptacle.

I have a small compressor that connects directly to battery terminals. Only complaint I have is that the hose is too short so I have to drag the compressor under the trailer to reach tires on the far side from where my batteries are located. My plan is to permanently mount the compressor in an unused corner of my storage area which is right next to where my batteries are mounted. This will allow for a short run of wire to the battery power bus and then just get a longer hose. One that will reach all the way to my spare or even the farthest front tire on my Tow Vehicle.

Need air? Open compartment, turn on compressor, connect hose, inflate, turn off, stow hose, continue. This will also give compressed air cleaning small parts etc.

Compressor is already stored in the same area, only difference is that it will be screwed down and available at a moment's notice with no need to remove it from it's bag.

Here's the compressor I have and it draws 30 amp at full pressure. Way too much for a power outlet.

Bought mine at O'Reilly's.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #6

I mounted one of these above my sewer outlet to plug my macerator pump into. Works great. Don't know if its what you had in mind. Water proof 12 volt outlet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 volt plug.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	207965  
Wolf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:49 PM   #7

Because I use a cordless drill to lower / raise my stabilizers, I also purchased an inflator tool that uses the same batteries. No cords, and I can use it on the tires on my TV, as well. I've actually had it since before my first TT last year.

You just have to make sure there's a battery charged up; I have at least 2 with me when camping, and have chargers that will run on 12vdc as well as 110vac, so I can charge whether I have shore power or not.
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Warning: this is my personal opinion which may not be shared by all.

I hate any compressor that merely plugs into a cigarette lighter type outlet.

Compressors that function with these connections are usually small and take forever to pump up a regular passenger car tire running 35 PSI max.
When talking RV tires, the starting pressures are usually 50 PSI and often go over 100 PSI. Any compressor that will do a good job, in a reasonable amount of time, draws far too much power for a standard "cigarette lighter" receptacle.

I have a small compressor that connects directly to battery terminals. Only complaint I have is that the hose is too short so I have to drag the compressor under the trailer to reach tires on the far side from where my batteries are located. My plan is to permanently mount the compressor in an unused corner of my storage area which is right next to where my batteries are mounted. This will allow for a short run of wire to the battery power bus and then just get a longer hose. One that will reach all the way to my spare or even the farthest front tire on my Tow Vehicle.

Need air? Open compartment, turn on compressor, connect hose, inflate, turn off, stow hose, continue. This will also give compressed air cleaning small parts etc.

Compressor is already stored in the same area, only difference is that it will be screwed down and available at a moment's notice with no need to remove it from it's bag.

Here's the compressor I have and it draws 30 amp at full pressure. Way too much for a power outlet.

Bought mine at O'Reilly's.

I have a compressor that clamps to the battery terminals in the step, works very well. However I have installed three 12V 15Amp utility outlets at different places in compartments for other uses IE to power a water pump to empty large water jugs into fresh water tank.

On MB Sprinter based Motorhomes there is a utility outlet at the bottom of the dash marked "12V 25A" so they are available at higher amperage ratings, just be sure to use correct gauge wire and fuse it properly.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post

On MB Sprinter based Motorhomes there is a utility outlet at the bottom of the dash marked "12V 25A" so they are available at higher amperage ratings, just be sure to use correct gauge wire and fuse it properly.
That's pretty rare. Most of the ones I've seen are rated at only 15 amp.

The big issue to me is the design. When plugged in, the connector isn't really held tightly in place with the positive connections locked tightly together. The plug often heats up and I've seen some that have melted and actually started to smoke after a while.

Thing about low voltage (12 Volt for example) is that the heating of the wire and connectors goes up with the square of the current. That's actually the same in high voltage circuits too but to get any "Work" out of a 12 Volt circuit it requires some pretty large currents. 120 watts at 120 volts only requires one amp. Same power, 120 watts, at 12 volts requires 10 amps. Most power outlets installed in vehicles today are scaled more for charging a Cell Phone at a whopping 24 watts.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:26 PM   #10
Canadian Member

You can use one of these to connect directly to the battery. It has 16 ga wires and its rated for 15A.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G8WLW2Y...DbH692KPM?th=1
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:59 PM   #11

One could easily mount/store the compressor near the battery and get enough self storing type hoses to reach wherever you want and harbor freight has them pretty cheap. FWIW
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:58 PM   #12

So I just went on a trip and broke a valve stem. I got to test my tire skills. I already owned an electric compressor with small tank. One you would use for a nail gun. It actually pumps air at a higher rate than the smaller compressors that plug into cigarette outlet. I just have to use extension cord and generator. Solved that issue except there is not 110 outlet on drivers side. Throwing ext cord under MH solved that. I think I still will install a few 12 volt outlets with 12 gauge wire so I can power a few things or use them to put a small solar maintainer on the battery
jlwardn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, power, sunseeker