Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #1

Adjusting Rearview Camera

My rearview camera seems to be pointed almost directly downwards, which isn't very helpful for backing up. Any way to adjust it?
alexisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #2

Take a look at this link, your camera should be similar. Loosen the screws on each side and rotate the camera up.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-5GWI2g...g&awug=1026339
Old 04-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjb View Post
Take a look at this link, your camera should be similar. Loosen the screws on each side and rotate the camera up.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-5GWI2g...g&awug=1026339
Yep that looks like the one. I'll give that a go tomorrow. Thanks!!
Old 04-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #4

Per the instructor of a safety class I attended, adjust your camera so you can see the edge of your bumper as a reference point.
If you don't have the green, yellow, red overlay on your monitor, place an object 3 feet behind your bumper and put a very small stick-on dot on your monitor. I used red at 3 feet, yellow at 6 feet and green at 9 feet. They're not noticeable to me except when I'm backing up.
I also had to adjust the shield downward after I raised the camera angle so I could actually see something in the sunlight.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:41 AM   #5

Does anyone know the type of tool needed to loosen/adjust the camera that comes with the new Sunseekers? It has three screws but I can't figure out how to loosen them (not philips or flat head).
Old 04-15-2017, 01:42 AM   #6

Torx
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:15 AM   #7

Mine required an allen wrench (hex key).
Old 04-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netgain View Post
Mine required an allen wrench (hex key).
Yeah it might be a very small hex. I'll see what I have in my random box of tools.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:47 PM   #9
Sophomore Campers

When we did our walk around, dealer guy said it's that way for being able to monitor what you're towing. I don't intend to you're anything and would rather position it to make backing up easier.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #10

at first I was disappointed that the camera was pointed almost straight down as I was looking at it as an electronic rear view mirror.

No more! I can back with confidence and get within 6 inches of an obstruction with the camera positioned that way and I find that it is invaluable in maneuvering in tight spaces. If I can't see it...I can't hit it!!!!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #11

I'm planning on adjusting that camera up a little bit more. Don't ever forget there are still some things you still won't see like branches etc
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #12

I had to remove the limit screws so I could adjust it to see the horizon. I just rotate it down when backing up to my trailer. I like to use it as a rear view mirror...not just looking at what's right behind me.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #13

cameras everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob dirt View Post
I had to remove the limit screws so I could adjust it to see the horizon. I just rotate it down when backing up to my trailer. I like to use it as a rear view mirror...not just looking at what's right behind me.
I ran a video feed from my Jensen in dash system back to my trailer hitch and then a video cable and feed to the back of the trailer where I have a camera mounted so I can see when backing the motorcycle trailer.

I also added a camera on the rear bumper. I hook it into the video feed I ran from the Jensen in dash system and use it when I am backing up to the trailer.

I have the main camera on the back of the motorhome aimed so that I can see from about 3' to about 25' behind the motorhome and use it as a rear view mirror as well as checking to see if a care is riding too close.

The Jensen system in my motorhome already had the back up wire feed hooked up so the only the video feed had to be run front to back. I picked up the reverse feed for the bumper mounted camera from the trailer hitch wiring harness.

The set-up gives me a lot of flexibility and quite inexpensive if your a do-it-yourselfer.
Sunseeker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:47 PM   #14
Sophomore Campers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc40 View Post
I'm planning on adjusting that camera up a little bit more. Don't ever forget there are still some things you still won't see like branches etc
Is that the view from your factory sunseeker rear view camera? Mine doesn't have the guide lines and, even worse, the image looks over exposed , in photo terminology.
MizzouMan_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #15

Yes it's the factory camera. If I used it more often I'd change it out for something better. Missing the guide lines isn't a deal breaker for me but the image could be much better.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:41 PM   #16
Sophomore Campers

Quote:
Yes it's the factory camera. If I used it more often I'd change it out for something better. Missing the guide lines isn't a deal breaker for me but the image could be much better.
At least your view is usable. Mine looks like an overexposed image. All washed out when in sun but semi ok in shade. Just another thing for dealer to look into when I take it in for water damage repair.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #17

I swung by my dealer yesterday and they adjusted the camera for me. Looks like it needed a 3/32 allen wrench to loosen the three screws.

Now I can see the bottom of my ladder + traffic behind me, as well as in the other lanes. Much better for highway driving. That plus my mirrors gives me pretty good visibility. I'll be adding a second camera to my bumper when I'm towing my jeep, so I can keep a close eye on the tow bar and the toad.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:45 PM   #18
Sophomore Campers

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisc View Post
I swung by my dealer yesterday and they adjusted the camera for me. Looks like it needed a 3/32 allen wrench to loosen the three screws.

Now I can see the bottom of my ladder + traffic behind me, as well as in the other lanes. Much better for highway driving. That plus my mirrors gives me pretty good visibility. I'll be adding a second camera to my bumper when I'm towing my jeep, so I can keep a close eye on the tow bar and the toad.
That sounds great!
Old 05-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouMan_2000 View Post
At least your view is usable. Mine looks like an overexposed image. All washed out when in sun but semi ok in shade. Just another thing for dealer to look into when I take it in for water damage repair.
It sounds like we have different cameras or there is something wrong. My MH is a 2017, maybe earlier MHs have the washout problem?
Old 05-07-2017, 06:58 PM   #20
Sophomore Campers

Quote:
It sounds like we have different cameras or there is something wrong. My MH is a 2017, maybe earlier MHs have the washout problem?

I have 2017, too.