Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2021, 09:46 AM   #1

Advice on forester

Can those of you with Class C, please let me know pros and cons? Especially your thoughts on a Forester as we are considering buying one, and know very little about them and Cís in general.
We currently have a cedar creek, Hathaway, 34re. Weíve had 5th wheels for 20 years and love them. But... Iíve been having back issues that prevent me from sitting in the truck in one position for any length of time. We donít want to quit camping and traveling so we are considering a class c so I can get up and walk around when my back tells me to. (Aging isnít for sissies &#128580
Old 06-12-2021, 10:19 AM   #2
Site Team

There is a very wide range of Forester / Sunseekers available. The Ford Transit based TS Series, the M-B Sprinter based MBS series, and the Ford E-450 based LE and Classic series.

While you're looking around the Sunseeker is the same floor plans as the Forester so look at them as well. They are built on the same line using the same parts. The Forester used to have more "bling" but they are getting closer all the time.

We've owned both smaller and larger Sunseekers and currently have a Transit based TS2380AFT on order. It is probably the smallest Class C they make. An E-450 based unit would probably suit your needs better as they are wider and have more space with the slides in.
2020 Ford Expedition Platinum 4X4 with Heavy Duty Tow Package and 1,524# Payload
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
There is a very wide range of Forester / Sunseekers available. The Ford Transit based TS Series, the M-B Sprinter based MBS series, and the Ford E-450 based LE and Classic series.

While you're looking around the Sunseeker is the same floor plans as the Forester so look at them as well. They are built on the same line using the same parts. The Forester used to have more "bling" but they are getting closer all the time.

We've owned both smaller and larger Sunseekers and currently have a Transit based TS2380AFT on order. It is probably the smallest Class C they make. An E-450 based unit would probably suit your needs better as they are wider and have more space with the slides in.
If we get about a 28í thatís fine with us. With or without slides. We want to stay under 30í.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:20 PM   #4
2012 Solera

Lots of pros and cons. Only you can determine your personal “fit”. I recommend you rent one for a several day trip and see what does and doesn’t work for you.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:49 PM   #5

We have a Forester Ď18 E450 2291s with a u dinette slide. Itís just under 25ft, easy to walk thru with the slide in. Quality wise is ok, drawer slides need to be tightened every so often. But other wise itís been pretty good. Tanks are pretty good size.

You can read about the E350/450 handling improvements. We put bigger front and rear sway bars which help. An alignment is also needed because it doesnít come set up for an RV from Ford. Parking is easy because itís not much longer than a full size extended van. My wife has no problem driving it.

Fuel economy with the V-10 is 7.5 mpg driving 70. The 6 speed transmission shifting is improved with a 5-Star tune on the V-10, donít know about the new V-8.

The Sunseeker is similar to the Forester.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:06 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamischmidt View Post
Can those of you with Class C, please let me know pros and cons? Especially your thoughts on a Forester as we are considering buying one, and know very little about them and Cís in general.
We currently have a cedar creek, Hathaway, 34re. Weíve had 5th wheels for 20 years and love them. But... Iíve been having back issues that prevent me from sitting in the truck in one position for any length of time. We donít want to quit camping and traveling so we are considering a class c so I can get up and walk around when my back tells me to. (Aging isnít for sissies &#128580
Class C units have a wide variety of sizes and floor plans. Theyíre also fairly abundant as far as testing various configurations before you buy. Realize though, pound for pound, 5th wheels offer some of the most spacious real estate in the industry, both for people and for luggage/cargo.

My biggest worry, is from your statement of ďÖÖso I can get up and walk around when my back tells me.Ē
The ruling in all 50 states in the USA isÖ..ĒClick it or ticketĒ as it refers to all passengers in moving vehicles must be in seat belts. The same rule applies in all Canadian Provinces. Im not sure how long you think you need to correct your back issues, but you place yourself in a very risky situation every time you get up while the vehicle is in motion. The safest and legal remedy, is to still stop the vehicle and deal with as you do today.

Off my soap box now.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:06 AM   #7
Have Camera will Travel

For me getting from the passenger/drivers position to the back is not that easy. The E450 chassis doesn't give you much room for slipping into the back. Our reason for selecting a smaller class C is the ability to get around and explore roads that you wouldn't want to take a truck and trailer onto.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:45 AM   #8

The MBS series has more room up front than the E450 and it's easy to get up and go to the back. The downside is that they are all 25 feet and only tow 4200 lbs max.

Other differences are the MBS is about 6 inches narrower, the floor height is higher and the cab over is also higher compared to the E450.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210423_163622.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	256900
Velvet Fog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:19 PM   #9

Yes the doghouse in a E350/450 does make for cramped space trying to get to the back. But you can lift the plastic cup holder assembly up and out, makes for more room.Click image for larger version

Name:	8988E53C-C349-43E0-81CF-B84EC920525F.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	256913
Old 06-13-2021, 03:48 PM   #10

We have been driving class C motorhomes for 23 years. Getting up to walk around while the truck is in motion is something we just do not normally do. At rare times, on a quiet interstate highway, the passenger may make a quick dash to grab a snack from the kitchen, then quickly bring it back to the cab and buckle up again. That’s all.

If you did want easy access to the house from the cab, I suggest a class A may be better suited. Not any better for safety, just easier egress to the rear.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:01 PM   #11

Thank you all for the precious advice. I'm grateful for each response. I'm learning a lot from all of you.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:21 AM   #12

Couple things that came to mind when you mentioned back problems; are the driver and copilot seats; both on ours are about as comfortable as sitting on a park bench and your back will be aching after a day drive. So, keep that in mind while your our looking. You can upgrade seats but that’s going to run $1200-2000+ dollars. Also what ever you buy get a steering damper as it will greatly assist you in keeping the steering wheel smooth and help with driver fatigue. Lastly the beds are not comfortable, plan on replacing the mattress or looking into the camco bed lumbar support system to ensure you get a good sleep. Aside form that, my family and I love our class C and as a father I love the memories I’m sharing with my kids as I was able to experience from my grandparents in their class c growing up.

Enjoy, and good luck!

John.
aeguy010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeguy010 View Post
Couple things that came to mind when you mentioned back problems; are the driver and copilot seats; both on ours are about as comfortable as sitting on a park bench and your back will be aching after a day drive. So, keep that in mind while your our looking. You can upgrade seats but thatís going to run $1200-2000+ dollars. Also what ever you buy get a steering damper as it will greatly assist you in keeping the steering wheel smooth and help with driver fatigue. Lastly the beds are not comfortable, plan on replacing the mattress or looking into the camco bed lumbar support system to ensure you get a good sleep. Aside form that, my family and I love our class C and as a father I love the memories Iím sharing with my kids as I was able to experience from my grandparents in their class c growing up.

Enjoy, and good luck!

John.
I can Google it, but if you have time, what is a steerinv damper and what is its purpose.
I'm so glad you're making great memories as a family. Priceless,
Old 06-14-2021, 09:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
We have been driving class C motorhomes for 23 years. Getting up to walk around while the truck is in motion is something we just do not normally do. At rare times, on a quiet interstate highway, the passenger may make a quick dash to grab a snack from the kitchen, then quickly bring it back to the cab and buckle up again. Thatís all.

If you did want easy access to the house from the cab, I suggest a class A may be better suited. Not any better for safety, just easier egress to the rear.
Maybe this is a poor question but why would the class A be better suited for access to the rear? Slide position? Stability?
Thanks!
Old 06-14-2021, 10:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Maybe this is a poor question but why would the class A be better suited for access to the rear? Slide position? Stability?
Thanks!
i am just guessing here, but typically the body of the class A coaches is much wider at the cabin, and the same width as the rest of the coach, instead of a van or truck cab which is narrower than the body of the coach. add to that the potential if it is a diesel pusher class A, that there will be no doghouse for the engine in between the seats either. all things that add up to more space to navigate away from the cockpit if need be.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:02 PM   #16
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Thanks!
If you can…..

See if you can get access to some motorhome units at an RV dealer. The brand isn’t as important as being able to get inside of a variety of rigs.
Class A and Class C units are very differently laid out, and if you don’t know why it’s suggested that one is easier access to the rear than another, you need to climb inside and see for yourself.

Class A gas vs Class A diesel is big $$$$$ difference.

The risk to safety is just as risky if not seated no matter what style.

We’ve owned both Class A and Class C units, so we’re very familiar with both.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Old 06-14-2021, 12:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogieboy View Post
i am just guessing here, but typically the body of the class A coaches is much wider at the cabin, and the same width as the rest of the coach, instead of a van or truck cab which is narrower than the body of the coach. add to that the potential if it is a diesel pusher class A, that there will be no doghouse for the engine in between the seats either. all things that add up to more space to navigate away from the cockpit if need be.
Makes good sense. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2021, 12:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
If you canÖ..

See if you can get access to some motorhome units at an RV dealer. The brand isnít as important as being able to get inside of a variety of rigs.
Class A and Class C units are very differently laid out, and if you donít know why itís suggested that one is easier access to the rear than another, you need to climb inside and see for yourself.

Class A gas vs Class A diesel is big $$$$$ difference.

The risk to safety is just as risky if not seated no matter what style.

Weíve owned both Class A and Class C units, so weíre very familiar with both.
Yes, I've been in both a and c. Wondered what your thoughts were since you have the C. May I ask why you have the C over the A? Easier to get into smaller places?
Old 06-14-2021, 01:08 PM   #19
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Yes, I've been in both a and c. Wondered what your thoughts were since you have the C. May I ask why you have the C over the A? Easier to get into smaller places?
Downsized from 35í Class A with tow vehicle which we thoroughly enjoyed for 10 years with several years snowbirding in Florida for winter. You need a toad when youíre staying put. Also, you need wheels to easily tour wherever youíre visiting, and a 35 footer needs a lot of real estate.

Our snowbirding days are probably finished, and a smaller Class C (ours is 25í) gets us access to many more campsites that we couldnít fit in the 35 footer. We now prefer more rustic campsites (Provincial or State Campgrounds).
Our Class C is not much longer than long box 4 door pickups, so we can travel and tour using the motorhome.
We could still return to Florida or other places for longer stays if we desire, as we kept all the hardware to flat tow our daily driver, but only tow it for those few situations anymore.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
Old 06-14-2021, 02:39 PM   #20

Adding a steering stabilizer greatly cuts down on the white knuckle driving, such as in high winds holding the steering wheel at a 2 o’clock position fighting the wind to stay straight going down the road. The aftermarket steering dampers have an additional coil spring added to a beefier shock to keep the front wheels going straight and also reduce the need for constant minor course corrections while driving. In addition of your front tires have a blowout it will keep you going straight and able to steer versus pulling hard to the side that has the blowout.
Safe-T-Plus and Roadmaster are the ones to look at.
If you purchase a newer sunseeker they typically have this upgrade installed from the factory along with anti sway bars and air bags. I purchased a forester and am doing upgrades as the bank ( my wife) allows. Most will say this upgrade made a huge difference in the driving experience.

Tags
forester