Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #21

May be freezing up Try turning off for 30 minutes and run just the fan to melt the ice. If it returns to normal you know that is the problem.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

My A/C would always switch back & forth from hi to low and back again with it stopping in between when it was set on the auto mode. Instead I would turn the fan to either high or low and it would stay running. You will need to go to fan mode to select this function. I had the same concern until figures this out.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativepart View Post
We are on our first "shake down" trip with our 3051s Forester. We're in southwest Texas and it's 97 degrees every day. A couple of times yesterday the A/C unit (running pretty much non-stop) short cycled ones or twice.

Then today it started doing it around noon time and did so every 8 to 10 mins for about 90 mins.

Here's how it acts when it short cycles. The fan stops and 2 to 3 seconds later the compressor start-up kicks on and the unit runs normally for another 8 or so mins before it does this again.

I was going to let it do it continuously until the A/C just stopped working but my wife complained. So, we took a PC repairman approach to the problem and turned it off at the thermostat.

I know little about A/C units but I know to wait 5 mins to let the compressor head pressure reduce before restarting - so we set a timer and turned the A/C back on after 6 mins.

So far it has not short cycled once for the past 90 mins.

We did notice that it displayed this same behavior once or twice the day we picked up the RV and again once or twice at home in the driveway while we were packing for this trip.

Each time its VERY noticeable since it's running non-stop to have the fan stop and then restart.

I can't see taking it to the dealer, because he'll just turn it on and say "it's running fine now."

Last month I stayed at a hotel on a trip. It had one of those thru the wall heat pumps you see at most motels these days. It started doing this exact same thing. I called the front desk and they sent a man. I explained what it was doing and he said, "Ok, that's short cycling. We'll bring up a new one."

A few mins later he showed up with an A/C unit on a dolly, pulled out the short cycling unit and replaced it in minutes. He said, "They do this all the time and there is no way to fix it without rebuilding the compressor pump. So, we keep a stock of rebuilt units in the shop so we can swape them out."

Not sure who to call with this unit doing it intermittently.

Any ideas?

PS. I say it's running non-stop - but it does stop for a while in the middle of the night. It's 80 here at midnight, but 70 around 4 am. So, the A/C does stop for a couple of hours during the night.
Take a digital meat thermometer check outside air going into unit then check inside temperature out flow should be 15 degrees difference.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
My A/C would always switch back & forth from hi to low and back again with it stopping in between when it was set on the auto mode. Instead I would turn the fan to either high or low and it would stay running. You will need to go to fan mode to select this function. I had the same concern until figures this out.
Yep, we've figured this out. But it can't be how it's supposed to work. Other A/C units don't do this.

We had a Coleman 13.5K unit in our Arctic Fox TT for 13 years and it never did this once - though the thermostat had a fan speed switch and putting it on Auto didn't make the A/C switch between high and low all it did was turn off the fan when the thermostat reached the set temperature.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:28 PM   #25

My 3800FL was doing the exact same thing and they to change out the thermostat. It does not do it anymore. It did it on the front Ac unit. I thought it was working good. After the change the temp got a lot colder and the short cycling stopped.
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestercyco View Post
My 3800FL was doing the exact same thing and they to change out the thermostat.
Was the wall thermostat changed or the thermostat inside the ceiling unit?
Old 07-15-2015, 03:44 PM   #27

It was a faulty wall thermostat.
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMcL View Post
I would also check the cycle setting on the thermostat. You may need to change from 1 degree to 2 degrees and see if that helps. Our AC used to click on and off when I had set to 1 degree. Changed to 2 degrees and problem went away.
How did you change this set up
Old 07-15-2015, 06:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMcL View Post
I would also check the cycle setting on the thermostat. You may need to change from 1 degree to 2 degrees and see if that helps. Our AC used to click on and off when I had set to 1 degree. Changed to 2 degrees and problem went away.

X2 on how to change this. I'd like to see if it makes a difference. I think if it switches from high to low every minute for hours there may be something wrong. Mine happens during an extremely hot day, but a couple times then stays on high. I almost think the thermostat thinks it can keep it cool enough on low and then realizes it can't, then switches back to high.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:12 PM   #30

2 degrees is default on the current shipping thermostat.
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:14 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverkemp View Post
2 degrees is default on the current shipping thermostat.
how does a person change it? the default value
Old 07-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #32

I had the same issue with my AC, right after we got it. It turned out to be the wall thermostat. The dealers tech was able to fix it. Not a 100% on this, but I believe he covered a small portion of the thermostat sensor with a "putty" insulator. Problem solved, & has not reoccurred since.
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by toslow View Post
how does a person change it? the default value

For the current shipping Dometic thermostat, here is a link to the manual and instructions below: http://dometic3frontend.qbank.se/epi...8b972438cd.pdf

To set the temperature differential the system must be Off. Press the “―” button and, while holding it, also press and hold the On/Off Mode button for three seconds. Release the On/Off Mode button. Then release the “―” button. Press the “+” button to toggle between “d1” and “d2”, “d1” for 1 degree F differential and “d2” for 2 de- grees F differential.
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:55 PM   #34

thank you,,

the only thing is my t-stat is not LCD
Old 07-15-2015, 08:56 PM   #35
Citrus County, Fl.

I am assuming you have the Dometic 15000 with the heat pump. Like Steverkemp says, thermostat is set for a 2 degree difference from the factory. On Auto it is supposed to switch over from high fan to low when within five degrees of the setting on the thermostat I believe. If it bothers you, just run it on high until you need it quieter like watching TV or bedtime.

I have mine plugged into to shore power in the yard with the a/c set at 85. If I am working inside I usually drop it down between 75 and 78. On auto is will shut down for a few seconds when it nears the setting and fire back up on low until it reaches the temperature setting then shuts down.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:59 PM   #36

It has the HI, LOW and AUTO but it's not a LCD display it's the slide up and down setting
Old 07-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #37
Rivnut

Go Digital, save future headaches.
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by toslow View Post
It has the HI, LOW and AUTO but it's not a LCD display it's the slide up and down setting
Even the old mercury bulb switch had a differential setting. It controls cut in and cut out of the HVAC device. Maybe search the internet for your thermostat, it will show the setting. The difference is band or differential setting. 1 or 2 is very close for older thermostats.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote